FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: CrappieThon 2016  (Read 2546 times)

Bluegillonafly

CrappieThon 2016
« on: Apr 23, 2016, 05:59 AM »
Headed up to southern Ontario next week for a couple days to try and get me some of the huge calicos that live there.  Will have a report and hopefully some fish photos when I return.

perchgypsy

Re: CrappieThon 2016
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2016, 06:09 AM »
Sounds like a blast,Good luck

filetandrelease

« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2016, 06:29 AM »
Good luck , Looking forward to the pics ,

SPN

« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2016, 01:12 PM »
CRAPPIETHON!!!! Awesome!!!   :D
Kids Who  Grow up Fishing Hunting and Trapping won't rob little old ladies!!

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 2016, 06:40 PM »
Back from 2 days  fishing with my 78 year old uncle in the Kawartha Lakes area of southern Ontario.  The lakes there are known for producing big crappies with 15-16" fish not uncommon.  What with a cold spring things are behind up there for this time of year.  The afternoon we arrived it had snowed a couple inches in the morning and I figured we were going to struggle the next day.  Sure enough, it was cold, clear and windy with water temp. in the high 40's.  We fished hard all day and struggled to catch a few.  The next day weather was the same but wind was a little less.  We fished a different lake and worked a bay all morning. catching a few small ones and lots of gills.  We continued to fish there in the afternoon hoping some bigger fish would move in to the shallows.  Sure enough, by 3:00 things picked up considerably.  We caught quite a few in the 12" range and a couple over 13".  All in all, a great trip, esp. considering the conditions. 

perchgypsy

« Reply #5 on: Apr 30, 2016, 06:45 PM »
Beautiful colors...good times👍...fish is just a bonus when spending time with family on a fishing vacation at that  ;)

filetandrelease

« Reply #6 on: Apr 30, 2016, 06:51 PM »
Great report and pics

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #7 on: Apr 30, 2016, 06:52 PM »
Thanks for sharing...looks like it worked out pretty well after all. Nice pictures.......what kind of baits did you use, jigs or live bait?
icejohn
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Apr 30, 2016, 08:49 PM »
Wow that yellow gold is quite intense!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Bluegillonafly

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 05:55 AM »
Icejohn...my uncle was using tube jigs and I was using Gulp minnows and Bobby Garland Itty Bit Swim'R's.  We could actually see fish in the shallow water and watched a few take the jig.  It was amazing how delicately they would take it.  Just swim slowly up to it and from about an 1" away suck it in.

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 07:23 PM »
That's very cool, that's the way I really enjoy catching them...with artificial....here n port bay this time of year red and white tubes work well also little finesse minnows.
icejohn
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.