FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The Little Wood Shop  (Read 58227 times)

boondox

Re: The Little Wood Shop
« Reply #90 on: Oct 24, 2016, 11:44 PM »
Very nice rg might have to copy it one day...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #91 on: Oct 25, 2016, 04:29 AM »
You better slow down, your going to run out of projects.. ;D
Not likely Dom.

I've always got something rattling around in my brain to work on. For example, my Bride loves to do those 1000 and 1500 piece puzzles. My Daughter finds them for her at garage sales. She should have a dedicated "puzzle table" to work on them comfortably. I mean, heck, if I can have a shop and fly tying bench and such, she can have a puzzle board. I've got some ideas ;D

I need to crank out some bird feeders and the farm market down e road from my house wants some custom bird houses. The flytying and fishing stuff is moving back up to the spare bedroom to make room for the wood working stuff in the basement this winter............etc...........etc..........etc.

And.........I'll be buying a wood lathe before the end of the year for some turning projects I have in mind. I've been looking at lathes for quite some time. Had one years ago. It was an old Craftsman with  limited accessories. The next one will be one that will do some tricks  ;D

Having fun things to do keeps the mind and body moving. I figure that when I'm laying there drawing my last few breaths, I'll probably be telling someone nearby how to build a better bed ;D

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #92 on: Oct 25, 2016, 09:27 PM »
The dust collection/ vacuum system I created for my surface grinders and ID/OD grinder is very similar except I used a 55 gallon drum with removable lid and a re-purposed squirrel cage fan and motor from an old hot air furnace. I saw no need for a filter.   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #93 on: Oct 26, 2016, 02:28 PM »
So,you did a baffle like I did? Or something else? Fan on the outlet side of the separator?

I'm always looking for new ideas.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #94 on: Oct 27, 2016, 03:13 PM »
Yes. I put a baffle under the lid, but not as fancy as yours. I closed off both sides of the squirrel cage with sheet metal. On the side without the drive pulley, I attached a 4" duct for an inlet. That "elbows" down and through the lid similar to your vacuum cleaner port,  with the squirrel cage assembly mounted on top of the barrel lid. I ran 2" PVC from the opposite side of the lid through the wall into the shop and to each of the grinders. I have a gate valve and 2" vacuum cleaner hose "drop" to each machine. With only one gate open it will pick up a penny, but even with all 3 open it clears the grinding dust out of the air. Not bad for a half farmer, hillbilly, fart smeller... ::) It's served its purpose for better than 15 years without a problem.   ;D
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #95 on: Oct 27, 2016, 04:31 PM »
I like it. I'm not an engineer so I really don't understand the principals involved that make the Thein baffle work so well, but, I'm making a 5 gallon model for dedicated use with my table saw and another for the wall mounted vacuum I have in the basement.

Wish I could get my hands on a couple 7 gallon buckets.

Rg

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #96 on: Nov 03, 2016, 02:13 PM »
Any pictures of the squirrels in the maze yet?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #97 on: Nov 03, 2016, 04:14 PM »
Nope....he's dumber than I thought :-\

Had a blue jay go in and steal a couple peanuts though. I think they'll discover it when the weather turns a bit colder.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #98 on: Nov 03, 2016, 04:50 PM »
I'm pretty sure I'll be adding this little beauty to my wood shop.

46-111 Rockwell Delta....60's vintage. I'm taking a look on Saturday. I've missed my lathe. Love turning stuff.

Rg

boondox

« Reply #99 on: Nov 03, 2016, 07:13 PM »
Hay rg since your looking at the lathe and the rod shops there you ought to turn some handles for building rods like out of birds eye maple burl and the likes.. I had a few I made before I became senitized to wood dust.. made them out of burls and lace woods walnuts birds eye Maple etc.. etc.. just a suggestion while you got it to even do some reel seats.. cause if you don't you wish you did sooner or later could even make ice rod handles.. for Christmas gifts any how that lave looks like it will do for you hope you get it..

Mac Attack

« Reply #100 on: Nov 03, 2016, 07:35 PM »

boondox

« Reply #101 on: Nov 03, 2016, 11:45 PM »
Some one needs some midol..

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #102 on: Nov 04, 2016, 03:58 AM »
The fun part about lathe is they evolve. There's always a fixture or jig to design and build for a particular process. Just the sharpening jigs will take a fair amount of time to fabricate. Chip collection and dust control are other factors. I'll be collecting another set of Sorby Chisels and making more of my own.

Lots of fun stuff to keep an old fart's brain involved in life. Rod handles? Maybe. I made more duck and crow calls in the past.

My last lathe was an old Craftsman that I retrieved from a friend's barn. I restored it and used  it for years to learn on. It's biggest limitation was the #1 MT head and tail stock. This one has a #2MT and will accommodate some quality accessories. Anyway, if it doesn't come to pass that I end up with this one, I've got my eye on another new lathe.

Heck, I've only been looking for a year.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #103 on: Nov 05, 2016, 03:42 PM »
Well....the lathe is mine now. My son and I picked it up this morning. Runs like new.

Turns out the fellow selling it iis a collector and restorer of old machinery. His basement was chock full of beautifully refurbished machines. Drill presses were his first interest, but there was a pristine Walker Turner gap bead, 48 x 16 wood lathe in the collection. Several old delta jointers and even an "Alien" Craftsman planer. Very rare.

In any event, I have a lathe I'm very happy with. I'll take some time and make it my own. I'll rebuild the stand and base. Probably add a sand bed for mass. New tool set, spur and live centers, a chuck, dust collection, sharpening jigs......OH BOY!

Had my son turning for the first time. He loved it.

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #104 on: Nov 05, 2016, 06:16 PM »
Good for you.  Looks like a nice piece.   ;D
I know I don't need to tell you no long sleeves or sweaters.....  ;)
Enjoy! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.