FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Favorite fish finder for the boat?  (Read 7008 times)

taxid

Favorite fish finder for the boat?
« on: Apr 26, 2016, 08:53 PM »
I may be in the market for a fish finder for the boat. I see the detail is astounding compared to my present fish finder (Eagle Optima) I bought at least 15 years ago and isn't even working.  ::)

Looking for something no higher than $500.00 but could go just a little higher if necessary. Not interested in GPS or lake maps. The boat will be in waters that contain panfish, trout, and walleye.

So what do you recommend? I want something that really shows detail.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

Re: Favorite fish finder for the boat?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2016, 08:36 AM »
I would get a fishfinder/GPS combo, but.....................

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/Products/Fishfinder/hook-7x-en-us.aspx

stripernut

« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2016, 09:40 AM »
Make sure you check out Garmin and Raymarine...

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Apr 27, 2016, 10:06 AM »
Thank you gentlemen!

Hey all I could find on FishUSA were ice fishing fish finders. Is that right?

I'd like to support a sponsor if I could.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2016, 10:34 AM »

Hey all I could find on FishUSA were ice fishing fish finders. Is that right?

Yup - looks like it.

NYSporty

« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2016, 12:08 PM »
I love my elite 7 with GPS it tracks and enters waypoints with one click for the price you should get a GPS unit.
The elite5 hook has all the features a 7 does just a smaller screen there is also a rebate on the Elite 5 hook series until the end of July!!
I'm using my rebate to help get the side scan ducer

http://www.lowrance.com/en-US/specialoffers/HOOK-a-great-deal1/

fontona19

« Reply #6 on: Apr 27, 2016, 06:56 PM »
Been using a Raymarine Dragonfly 7 for a year and a half now. Very impressed. Even in this blurry photo (focused on the river) you can see the detail of the DI.

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2016, 08:02 PM »
Been using a Raymarine Dragonfly 7 for a year and a half now. Very impressed. Even in this blurry photo (focused on the river) you can see the detail of the DI.

What's a DI? I'd love to see my basic training drill instructor (DI) on the bottom!

htc

« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2016, 09:00 PM »
i'm sold on humminbird. just don't think they can be beat. recently upgraded my 998 to an onix. going to see if i can get the video on here but its cruising at 35mph and the clarity on the sonar is absolutely incredible. argh can't figure out how to upload the vid from my phone. have seen others post on facebook similar videos though.

just don't think you can go wrong with humminbird. with the 360 imaging hooked up i pick up planer boards 30ft from boat on the surface. lorance or ray do that?

-htc

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Apr 27, 2016, 10:09 PM »
O.K. D.I. is Down Imaging. Essentially what appears to be a detailed photo of the bottom vs. the sonar image?

How about this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Humminbird-409800-1-Helix-Fishfinder-Imaging/dp/B010SDBYVC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_107_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=41comXnqp9L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0721SJQ156E62MSEM8YX

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #10 on: Apr 28, 2016, 10:44 AM »
I have been a serious Humminbird fan for a long time, and still am, but my buddy just recently bought a Lowrance Hook 5 and I'm very impressed. He spent near $500 and got GPS, full Navionics charting and it's a beautiful unit. Still enjoy my Humminbird Helix 5 but I think I would look closer at Lowrance if I did it again.

gundogwanted

« Reply #11 on: Apr 28, 2016, 02:08 PM »
I've been looking for an Elite 7 CHIRP and have had NO luck. looking at the HOOK 7, but haven't seen any reviews on it yet.
Equal Billing: Crankbait degrees; Typically, the narrower the bill, the tighter the wiggle; the wider the bill, the wider the wobble.

Mac Attack

« Reply #12 on: Apr 28, 2016, 02:37 PM »
I've been looking for an Elite 7 CHIRP and have had NO luck. looking at the HOOK 7, but haven't seen any reviews on it yet.

how about an Elite 9 CHIRP with Lake Insite Pro for only $799.00!!!
Cabelas.

Sorry, but cannot post a Cabelas link anymore here on MFF for some strange reason.

Go over there and do a search for it.

gundogwanted

« Reply #13 on: Apr 28, 2016, 02:52 PM »
Thought about a 9, but where I want to put it, there is only about 10 1/2 inches of space. On my side console between raised dash and curved windshield.
Equal Billing: Crankbait degrees; Typically, the narrower the bill, the tighter the wiggle; the wider the bill, the wider the wobble.

Mac Attack

« Reply #14 on: Apr 28, 2016, 03:20 PM »
Thought about a 9, but where I want to put it, there is only about 10 1/2 inches of space. On my side console between raised dash and curved windshield.

Use a RAM mount.
Then you can have it come forward a little bit to accomadate things.
But be sure you get the larger heavy duty RAM mount made for larger units.

I have a 16.5' Lund Rebel XT and had the same problem you speak about when I wanted to mount an HDS-8 where my HDS-5 was.
Same raised dash and curved windshield issues.
The RAM mount made it work.
It isn't cheap, but it works.
I can fit a 12" unit now if I wanted.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.