FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Ramp Etiquette  (Read 4746 times)

Boomer

Ramp Etiquette
« on: Apr 27, 2016, 12:52 PM »
Its that time of year to watch people at the ramp. Not trying to start a BIG discussion on here but some of us need to practice in a parking lot before going to the ramp this year.  Last week I saw a guy actually miss the ramp and dropped his truck over a small drop off. Saw another guy who took five or six tries just to back up a trailer close to the water. I am thinking that the worst I see is pleasure boaters doing this but some are fishermen/hunters.

I will be the first to admit that when I started, I was HORRIBLE at backing up the boat. Over time I got better. I really learned to back up at a job I had that I had to back up trailers without using my middle mirror or looking out the back window. Every year I practice a little more.

If I had to give one BIG piece of advice: When backing up, start off straight and make little changes while going slow.

With this being said, my son is starting to back up the trailer last year and is wanting to do more this year. GOOD ! ! ! Be patient with us. Any other advice you could give?

(BTW: We enjoy Memorial day Weekend by taking the kayaks and sitting off a popular ramp with score sheets we hold up. Most people laugh.)

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
Re: Ramp Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2016, 01:03 PM »
Practice, practice, practice!!!

No one is born knowing how to trailer properly, but many fail to learn BEFORE hitting the ramp on a crowded morning/afternoon.

That's when the "follies" begin!
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2016, 01:06 PM »
Also, get your boat ready BEFORE you launch it.
Plug in.
Bumpers out.
Tie up lines attached and ready.
Transom straps removed.
Coolers, gear, etc. put into the boat.

All of the above and more should be done off to the side, BEFORE you get in line to launch.

Same thing when you retrieve your boat.
Get out of the way so others can use the launch ramp, and then you can put things away and tie up the boat.

Too many people horse around too much while launching their boat, while others are in line waiting for them.

Like you said - PRACTICE and PLAN.

You will then look like a pro.

Good thread!!!

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 27, 2016, 01:08 PM »
mac nailed all the major points...usually i put the boat on the trailer while my fishing partner drives the truck/trailer.   I can not emphasize enough how important it is to get the rig the hell out of the way when you are done - I like to pack up and tie down in the emptiest part of the parking lot. 

also, watch those headlights when launching at night.  

crappiecrusher34

« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2016, 03:01 PM »
I just go earlier then u all and stay and stay later. :D

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2016, 03:17 PM »
I just go earlier then u all and stay and stay later. :D

I tend to do the same.  I have always looked at launching and loading quickly as something I take pride in.  Sure there are days where it gets more....well....tactical but man when you learn on CT's largest lake launching during tourneys on a double wide launch, you learn quickly.

I find those engaged in pleasure boating tend to be a little less particular about their launch Etiquette.

bigr

« Reply #6 on: Apr 27, 2016, 03:27 PM »
Dad used to take all us kids and mom out to resi just to watch people back down. Funny as all get out. Usually mom would pack a picnic, Poor families entertainment. The good old days.

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2016, 04:40 PM »
Dad used to take all us kids and mom out to resi just to watch people back down. Funny as all get out. Usually mom would pack a picnic, Poor families entertainment. The good old days.

We have folks like that near me.   I remind them that while laughing at others may seem fun, a life without a a boat isn't one worth living! 

bldfrt

« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2016, 06:09 PM »
my dad made me back into parking spaces and around poles in a parking lot years ago and it helped a lot. Now I feel like I fly on the ramp and get frustrated when people putts around on the ramp loading things and talking to others preparing their rig then they get mad when you say something about being ready to go if they're not. Also here's a relevant video

https://vimeo.com/67253679

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Apr 27, 2016, 06:49 PM »
Also, get your boat ready BEFORE you launch it.
Plug in.
Bumpers out.
Tie up lines attached and ready.
Transom straps removed.
Coolers, gear, etc. put into the boat.

All of the above and more should be done off to the side, BEFORE you get in line to launch.

Same thing when you retrieve your boat.
Get out of the way so others can use the launch ramp, and then you can put things away and tie up the boat.

Too many people horse around too much while launching their boat, while others are in line waiting for them.

Amen to that!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

billyex99

« Reply #10 on: Apr 27, 2016, 10:01 PM »
My first year with a trailered boat. Also went from a small truck to full size, so I know there will be a short learning curve. Being recently retired I have the luxury of only going when ramp is not crowded until I get the hang of it. When launching by yourself one friend says to use a rope and pull it off to the side and another says to leave rope attached but loose back in till it floats then get in and drive it to a pier or beach it. Which is the proper etiquette? I used the rope 2 days ago, did great. Parked the trailer then pushed off and found that I had left a fish finder on and motor wouldn't start. Luckily only 2 ft. of water when I jumped in and trailered it with rope. Had I launched the other way I would have known before getting off the trailer.

Mac Attack

« Reply #11 on: Apr 28, 2016, 06:14 AM »
I used the rope 2 days ago, did great.

Then that's what you should do.
2nd thing.....install a master battery switch...........and get into the habit of using it.

Seriously, everyone does things just a little bit different.
Doesn't make it right or wrong.
Find what works best for you and what you are most comfortable with.

If you are boating alone, I trust you wear a PFD.
Food for thought.

Mac

Boomer

« Reply #12 on: Apr 28, 2016, 06:28 AM »
When launching with by yourself or with someone that does not know what to do (i.e. young child), I think that as long as you are working to get the boat launched and not just wasting time then you will get the benefit of the doubt. I, too, have launched many times by myself and depending on the ramp and conditions I can see using the rope or not. Sometimes I have offered my assistance to others in this case: "Sir, can I hold your rope?? or "Would you like me to pull your truck up?" Believe it or not, the second one has happened several times!

Don't be afraid to let your girlfriend or wife to back up the boat trailer too. My wife does not want to back the trailer all the way down but if I get it close and then hop into the boat she can handle the last twenty or thirty feet. Also, when she pulls the truck up the ramp she goes slow and easy. We did this once and right next to me another person launched his boat. We sat there and watched my wife pull up and his friend pull up. His friend spun his tires and smoke went everywhere. He looked at me and asked if my wife would be around to pull him out of the water later on! (Proud husband ensued!)

dsqui

« Reply #13 on: Apr 28, 2016, 07:12 AM »
lol hollding up score cards thats hilarious

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #14 on: Apr 28, 2016, 08:27 AM »
If I see someone having a tough time at the launch I prefer to offer help so we can keep traffic flow moving rather than sit on the side laughing at people or holding up signs... I get a lot more satisfaction out of a handshake and a "thanks for the help" than I do laughing at people that may not have the driving skills I do.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.