FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: BASS LAKE SURVEY  (Read 1178 times)

abishop

BASS LAKE SURVEY
« on: Apr 28, 2016, 08:50 AM »
FYI, I just got off the phone and talked to Tom who is the biologist for Bass Lake. We had quite a discussion. Found out that there was a fish netting done and to my surprise the fish were fat (not like typical walleye from there). Also, I was told that eggs were collected from the females and were supposedly being raised and dumped into Maxi. This didn't happen. All fish put into Maxi and Bass are taken from fish from Brookville. Believe it or not they say that there is a bigger walleye population per acre at Bass than Maxi. (Sure could of fooled me). Most fish were 15-16 inches. He also said that for the next 3-4 years they will be stocking spring fingerlings 1 1/2 to 2 inches at a rate of 100 per acre verses the 1000 fry that is usually stocked. Said that usually 1% make it to harvest size on the fry, (Which is a good percentage). Stocking will be done sometime mid May. There are a lot of people who frown on this type of info thinking that this will lead to fewer fish they catch cause many more people will be fishing. I AM NOT THAT WAY, I ALWAYS SHARE INFO I GET. Good luck to those who still fish Bass Lake. Don't give up. Just keep on plugging. Eventually, you will get some. He also stated that Sylvan Lake out east had a fantastic walleye netting. GO GET YA SUM.

den58

Re: BASS LAKE SURVEY
« Reply #1 on: Apr 28, 2016, 09:10 AM »
Thanks for the info Al what a surprise

Boomer

« Reply #2 on: Apr 28, 2016, 09:17 AM »
Did you see that they were surprised by a fish in the net: a nice-sized northern! 

tsdpurdue

« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2016, 09:24 AM »
FYI, I just got off the phone and talked to Tom who is the biologist for Bass Lake. We had quite a discussion. Found out that there was a fish netting done and to my surprise the fish were fat (not like typical walleye from there). Also, I was told that eggs were collected from the females and were supposedly being raised and dumped into Maxi. This didn't happen. All fish put into Maxi and Bass are taken from fish from Brookville. Believe it or not they say that there is a bigger walleye population per acre at Bass than Maxi. (Sure could of fooled me). Most fish were 15-16 inches. He also said that for the next 3-4 years they will be stocking spring fingerlings 1 1/2 to 2 inches at a rate of 100 per acre verses the 1000 fry that is usually stocked. Said that usually 1% make it to harvest size on the fry, (Which is a good percentage). Stocking will be done sometime mid May. There are a lot of people who frown on this type of info thinking that this will lead to fewer fish they catch cause many more people will be fishing. I AM NOT THAT WAY, I ALWAYS SHARE INFO I GET. Good luck to those who still fish Bass Lake. Don't give up. Just keep on plugging. Eventually, you will get some. He also stated that Sylvan Lake out east had a fantastic walleye netting. GO GET YA SUM.

This was posted a few weeks ago, but here is the summary of the catch from Sylvan if anyone missed it!

Lake: Sylvan
Species sought: Walleye
Dates: 3/28 - 3/31 2016
Gear: Trap net  (12 lifts)

A total of 438 walleyes were collected.   (366 males, 66 females, and 6 immature)

Of the 66 females, 5 were ripe.

Most walleyes were caught in the west basin, although the females were more common in the east half of the lake

The largest fish were in the 23-27 inch range.

abishop

« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2016, 10:19 AM »
Did you see that they were surprised by a fish in the net: a nice-sized northern! 
Also, there was one that was 36 inches caught in the pocket last week. I have never seen a northern caught from this lake or heard of anyone getting any. I have been fishing this water for 25 years. I knew that there was a few in there at one time but are nearly extinct now. It would be nice for them to stock a few of this species of pike in here as well as the walleye. Just my 2 cents.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.