FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Broadwater County Pike and....CATFISH?!  (Read 2332 times)

Fishman Teters

Broadwater County Pike and....CATFISH?!
« on: Apr 29, 2016, 07:37 AM »
After years of research, FWP reports and talking with old time locals, I finally put together a plan. With many creeks and sloughs around Toston, I figured that would be a great area to begin my pike quest. I found a piece of state land off the beaten path, that borders the mighty MO. On that land are 2 creeks that dump into the river. I hiked upstream to the first bend I came across, threw a trusty rattle rap in bright Orange, and immediately caught a hammer handle juvie. This went on for about an hour. I decided that I wanted something bigger, so I went to the main river, caught a good sized carp on crawlers, and began cutting strips. I set up a heavy jig with stinger hook, under a float. Nothing for 2 hours, constantly freshening the bait. Finally, after I was about to give up, the bobbed went under and line began to strip. This was not a pike. I thought at first a brown, but to my surprise, it was a 22" channel cat!!!   I now have a new favorite fishing hole. No more fish were caught after that, but I am hopefull that I have a new honey hole.
I'm gonna miss her...look at there...I got a bite

spedray

Re: Broadwater County Pike and....CATFISH?!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 30, 2016, 10:25 PM »
Any size to the pike? I have heard of catfish being caught in canyon ferry. Also heard of bullheads in headwaters.

Fishman Teters

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 01:29 AM »
Never caught bullheads out there but tons of stonecats. Especially out at Old Town on the Jefferson. As for the Pike, all juvies, but lots of them. It let's me know they have taken a foothold on that section.

Fishman Teters

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 06:13 AM »
It is funny to me that after all the time, money, and effort to eradicate the Northern Pike, they still have a good stronghold. As I reported on another site about this very topic, I've been hearing about pike below Toston and in Canyon Ferry for over 25 years. That would have made me about 10 years old. I have also heard about the channel cats, but for some reason, I always dismissed that notion, despite my insistence on the upper MO having suitable habitat. The last 35 miles or so of the Jefferson could produce near record fish every year. Between temps, food, and overall catty habitat, it's upsetting that you never see them. (But, you can catch 3 pound smallies out of there) The fact that I caught that channel cat is actually quite magical. Old timers I have talked to, tell me stories of the pike before all the dams, catching them in Townsend with regularity. The catfish claims go as far back. And why I find this one fish so magical is because of this...What if this was a case of a private pond flooding, or a bucket dump attempt, or just maybe the last of a native strain that is trapped between the dams? One side screams illegal stocking while another side claims they have been here all along. And the thing is, evidence supports both claims. So make up your own mind. For me personally, I love that I had the opportunity at these fish, that right now, swim my fishing waters.

spedray

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 09:17 AM »
I've caught pike on the east Gallatin by swamp road way back when we were in high school. I think they have always been there. I have heard of some big #25+ pike being pulled out above the toston dam. It seems like almost everything can be caught  around headwaters. I have caught largemouth and smallmouth bass, sunfish, perch, shad, carp, suckers, grayling, and all kinds of trout, all from pretty much the same hole.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.