FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Branch Lake  (Read 5291 times)

dreamcatcher310

Branch Lake
« on: Apr 30, 2016, 07:38 AM »
Anyone know if the dumb gate is open yet and if they are still doing the dumb stickers for dumb boat inspections?  ??? ??? ??? LOL  ;D

kevinmaine3

Re: Branch Lake
« Reply #1 on: Apr 30, 2016, 05:23 PM »
Bring some bolt cutters and you'll be fine..
It is a "public launch" that's open 1/3 of the year so they can stock it. They run on a unemployed bankers hours..
The last time I saw a mouth like that it had a hook in it....

dreamcatcher310

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 06:23 PM »
I agree.. they left the launch open for winter access for one winter after the state put all that money into it and that was it. Now it's gated for 9 months out of the year and make it next to impossible to get your boat inspected to get a special sticker so ya don't get a ticket. Just another way to keep people off the lake. So ridiculous, especially after the state invested so much of taxpayers money into that boat launch.

If anyone hears of it opening please post or send me a PM. Either way works and is much appreciated.

TunkTroller

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 10:06 PM »
How do they gate it if the state paid for it? Lake residents wanted it stocked and a new landing but don't want anyone else enjoying either even though they paid for it? Sounds like the perfect situation for a big chain hooked to the gate and the other end hooked to a pick up.  Also who does the ticketing for no inspection?

Turnbuckle

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 11:18 AM »
This has been an issue for so long. Lake residents want good fishing funded by the state, and no visitors on the lake summer and winter.  :-\
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

JDK

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 11:53 AM »
Do I have this correct?

The state (you and I) paid $850,000 for a new launch on state owned land.
The state (you and I) paid for a new road.
The Army National Guard cleared the ROW for the new road
The State (you and I) stocks fish in Branch Lake
The State (you and I) owns the beach next to the launch

The City of Ellsworth runs the gate and determines how many people can use the lake in the name of invasive plant protection and water supply.  ***censored****?

Time for a pee run.

# SAND

Turnbuckle

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 12:54 PM »
The launch is closed the whole month of April.  :o
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

JDK

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 01:29 PM »
In my humble opinion, the "state" isn't blameless in this either.  I'm assuming that a $1million plus was spent on the project when all is said and done and we can't use it when we want?  Water is publicly owned, road is publicly funded, and the launch is publicly funded.  I say gate the whole lake so the jerks stay in and air drop a few tons of rotenone.  
# SAND

Turnbuckle

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 01:33 PM »
In my humble opinion, the "state" isn't blameless in this either.  I'm assuming that the state spent $1million plus on the project when all is said and done and we can't use it when we want?  Water is publicly owned, road is publicly funded, and the launch is publicly funded.  I say gate the whole lake so the jerks stay in and air drop a few tons of rotenone.   

It's been years since I used to fish it and monitor it, but Google might reveal some non-surprising details about this whole mess stemming back to the early 90s. I want to say that town manager or even some members of the town council are homeowners on the lake.....

I think we have a few threads here about the issue in the past also, or the shanty because the winter issue was a big deal also.

Regardless, we should have access to fish, boat, canoe or ice skate it whenever we want if it's a public launch and stocked.

JDK

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 02:07 PM »

Regardless, we should have access to fish, boat, canoe or ice skate it whenever we want if it's a public launch and stocked.

I agree completely and that was exactly my point. 
# SAND

Tunker

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 04:08 PM »
I agree completely and that was exactly my point. 

The funny (and I use that term loosely) thing is they pull the water supply card yet I am sure most of the folks with camps/house on that lake do not utilize any aspect of that function other than to pump it straight out to do their dishes in the summer.  It would be interesting to see how many of them have their primary residence in Ellsworth.  If they are so concerned they should only have 9.9's or lower on their boats and be using canola as gear oil.  Sadly this is just scratching the surface of the problems in this town.  I just read our taxes are going up again! Woohoo! :'(

kevinmaine3

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 06:01 PM »
Cut the bolt, go fish, if anyone shows up say it was open, and I drive in.. What are they really going to do? I doubt your going to jail.. Seriously, what would they do? Tell you it's closed.. I might hit it up hit it up this week. That whole landing is nice but a joke, cause of the town..
It's not open now cause it's not "prime boating season",  good fishing season doesn't count.. The town employes someone to do boat checks.. That's why it's not open..
The last time I saw a mouth like that it had a hook in it....

Snopro

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 06:17 PM »
It may be time for a "Boat in"!!!!!!

44 Degrees North

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 06:50 PM »
Wonder if the stocking truck has a key?

Baydog

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 07:03 PM »
Hmmm, I have a cousin who started fishing Branch a few weeks ago and some pals who fished it this past weekend........All have had fairly good fishing, none have paid a fee, all were checked for invasive plants, none were harassed, all had to be out by eight pm. I agree public water should be open all the time, but some information posted here seems a bit incorrect.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.