FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sacandaga report ?  (Read 44064 times)

rondog

Re: Sacandaga report ?
« Reply #60 on: Sep 09, 2016, 02:07 PM »
The walleye fishing is still excellent! the trick is locating them

gotabig1

« Reply #61 on: Sep 09, 2016, 02:42 PM »
I still fish the same area I fished as a kid back in the 80's. It wasn't until recently that the average size of the fish we catch is so small.

rondog

« Reply #62 on: Sep 09, 2016, 03:35 PM »
Tried changing spots ?

Mac Attack

« Reply #63 on: Sep 09, 2016, 03:41 PM »
Tried changing spots ?

I thought the same thing.

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #64 on: Sep 09, 2016, 04:41 PM »
I have found that over the years "the spots stay the same". They are just in different locations. Think about it....h2l

gotabig1

« Reply #65 on: Sep 10, 2016, 02:29 AM »
We used to dive quite a bit there. The old house foundations, rock walls, and stump lots are traditional holding spots for Walleyes there. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't think the fishing is excellent, and I am glad dec is changing the keeper size and limit.

rondog

« Reply #66 on: Sep 10, 2016, 03:40 PM »
We fished it today and did vary good,not much boat traffic,cloudy with a nice chop.
I moved to Edinburg in the late 50s and have been fishing it since,I retired 10 years ago an am  on the water twice a week or more.Here's what I know,
That lake truly is one that 90% of the fish are in 10 % of the water, you usually can catch them suspended for about the first hour or so of daylight after that if your not fishing structure tight you might as well go home.If you find fish and stay on them and keep changing tactics you can usually get em.Where the fish were yesterday has nothing to do with today the same goes for how you caught them,good electronics with a sonar card is a must. I've got over 100 way points on both ends of the lake,If I don't find fish I move to the next spot and don't fish until I can see them.Nobody is going to give up their spots on that lake you just have to put in your time just like anything else you want to succeed at
I've heard it called the " Dead Sea " forever,it's just not true! The fish that we caught today were between 13" and 18" and all looked vary healthy
GB 1
Why do you think changing size and creel limits will help ?
I really don't care what they do most of the fish we catch goes back anyway

gotabig1

« Reply #67 on: Sep 10, 2016, 05:03 PM »
I figured that if the legal size gets bumped to 18"  all those little 15" will get a chance to grow to maturity. We used to catch some real slammers and a good mix of different year classes. A friend of mine has a 32" on his wall we caught thru the ice. Recently, it's a rare occasion if we get a fish over 18".

rondog

« Reply #68 on: Sep 13, 2016, 01:38 PM »
For years we always threw the 16" and less back figuring the same thing  but the size never got any better,again more fish competing for the same food will only result in more small fish

filetandrelease

« Reply #69 on: Sep 13, 2016, 06:29 PM »

Just my .02 if the size limit starts at 15" that takes some of the pressure off the bigger ones , I have noticed some difference on Oneida the past few years plus I and many others toss 20" and over back , I prefer the 15-17 " to eat any way

rondog

« Reply #70 on: Sep 14, 2016, 02:06 PM »
Just my .02 if the size limit starts at 15" that takes some of the pressure off the bigger ones , I have noticed some difference on Oneida the past few years plus I and many others toss 20" and over back , I prefer the 15-17 " to eat any way
Then you'd love Sacandaga

lowaccord66

« Reply #71 on: Sep 14, 2016, 02:13 PM »
Ron or Doug, when do those launches typically become unusable?  I want to get back out there but found the late spring/summer traffic to be unbearble...

rondog

« Reply #72 on: Sep 14, 2016, 06:34 PM »
Ron or Doug, when do those launches typically become unusable?  I want to get back out there but found the late spring/summer traffic to be unbearble...
I've been launching at the Town of Day launch and Sunday the trailer tires were off the ramp but the bottom is hard,there is about a section and a half of dock left.The lake has dropped about 16 " since Sept 1st.No telling when it will become unusable,it all depends on the rate of discharge at the dam

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #73 on: Sep 14, 2016, 07:29 PM »
I used the Northville launch yesterday and it was fine. As Ron says, the lake is going down fast and it was already lower than what is normal at this time of year. In years past I have used the Northville site into late Oct but the last few years it has been closed by then. I will be using it again on Friday and will give an update....h2l

rondog

« Reply #74 on: Sep 18, 2016, 06:16 AM »
The water is getting pretty low,I launched at Day yesterday and the trailer tires went off the ramp a few feet out, It's a hard bottom but their was no angle to the ramp which made getting the boat out a little harder.All of the campers that still have their boats in are getting them out so it was busy.I'll be going again mid week but I think the end is near for the launches.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.