FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: First fish out of the new yak  (Read 3925 times)

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
First fish out of the new yak
« on: May 12, 2016, 09:58 PM »
The wife bought me a new kayak for my birthday. The first time I brought it out I was struck by the flu, turned around and hi - tailed it home. The seat wasn't right, the foot rests weren't right, and neither was I!  :sick:

Well, I've since gotten it pretty much tricked out the way I want. I've added two rod holders, a fishfinder, an anchor trolley, and navigation lights. I brought her out tonight for her true maiden voyage and I love it! I flat - lined a minnow spinner and a worm harness, both about 30 - 50 ft.  back.
Here's the first fish out of her, a nice little largemouth.

I also caught a decent pumpkin seed and a rock bass, both over 60 ft.  of water.   ;D
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

boondox

Re: First fish out of the new yak
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 10:05 PM »
Sweet!! I have always wanted a smaller craft like a kayak but i am to big for most tried solo canoes with same luck... but hay at leat some one has good luck in them even though I don't ... any how love reading post with fish photos please keep them coming and nice job on the fishes...in the yak...

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 10:11 PM »
Hey, I'm not exactly a little guy myself.  This one is rated for 500 lbs. I feel way safer in it than my canoe. I want to duck hunt out of it, too.   ;D
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 10:36 PM »
There are kayaks available for "heavy hitters".
My kayak is rated for 350 lbs.
I have fished fresh and salt waters, day and night, and the one thing that thrills me to no end is that many of the fresh waters I fish cannot be accessed by any other watercraft other than kayaks and canoes.
This has given me chances to find some primo bass and pickerel that may never have seen a lure.

I may eventually upgrade to a newer kayak with a more comfortable seat but we'll see how the season progresses.
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

boondox

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 01:38 AM »
Hey, I'm not exactly a little guy myself.  This one is rated for 500 lbs. I feel way safer in it than my canoe. I want to duck hunt out of it, too.   ;D

I am at the max with no gear 447lbs no joke lol's... and they sit low in the water on clam days with me in them.. I seen a few rated at 500 lbs but they don't work for me I need one that rated like 1000 or 1200 lbs lol's for gear to...

I like the idea of a kayak for easy of getting out but they just don't float with me in them...

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 06:07 AM »
Got ya.  Lol!    ;D

tomturkey

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 08:14 AM »
I would really love to have a yak but this old body is in enough pain that sitting in that position would make it even worse. I have had a canoe since I was 16 years old and love fishing out of mine. Having a light weight yak would make it a lot easier getting it into the water.

perchgypsy

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 09:45 AM »
Sweet ,man what's the wife trying to say when she gets you a solo vessel....lol
I loved my kayak when I was able to get it around ,but my canoe is just a better option because
I can bring people or go solo,jmo on having both,weigh about the same ,around 50lbs

caught_the_fever

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 11:56 AM »
Congratulations!   It sounds like you're not into going into things half-way with the nice add-ons. 

I wasn't a fan of kayak fishing until I bought the Old Town Predator 13 - what a world of difference for me.  I love fishing out of it though it can present somewhat of a challenge getting loaded and to water as it's a beast.  But it is an incredibly stable platform, enough that I can effectively cast my fly rods from it.   

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 04:40 PM »
Sweet ,man what's the wife trying to say when she gets you a solo vessel....lol
I loved my kayak when I was able to get it around ,but my canoe is just a better option because
I can bring people or go solo,jmo on having both,weigh about the same ,around 50lbs
I'd like to think she's saying, "I love you honey, Happy Birthday.  You deserve this." That's what I heard, anyway, but I'm sure there may be other translations.  :-*
I've still got the canoe, and I am good with that. I've traveled hundreds of miles in it. The kayak does however beat it in weight by +/-35 lbs., and it seems that whenever anyone else joined me in the canoe, I would get wet.  ::)

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 04:50 PM »
Congratulations!   It sounds like you're not into going into things half-way with the nice add-ons. 

I wasn't a fan of kayak fishing until I bought the Old Town Predator 13 - what a world of difference for me.  I love fishing out of it though it can present somewhat of a challenge getting loaded and to water as it's a beast.  But it is an incredibly stable platform, enough that I can effectively cast my fly rods from it.   
All just necessary items.  ;)
I don't think I'll have any problems with the fly rod. Crazy enough, but I have visions of taking a 40" striper out of the Hudson from it. I'm just working out all the bugs and getting used to her before we head for the "big" water.  ;D

perchgypsy

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 05:00 PM »
Yes that's exactly what she said...mine too  ;D
good luck staying dry in the yak,when I first got my yak hardly took a rod with me
after work I'd just paddle for miles and found it very relaxing,amazing all the little branches off your favorite rivers you will soon find
I hardly fish in the summer,but fall walleye is my favorite so far
good luck

icejohn

• God, Family.......Fishing.
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 06:21 PM »
Nice fish and setup perch...I bought a sit on kayak this year but didn't work out for me......couldn't really set it up for fishing very well and would get wet...... the drain holes would let water in......
Am trying to sell it and will have to stick with a canoe.
icejohn
take a kid hunting and fishing, it's a lot better than leaving them on the streets!!

caught_the_fever

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 12:46 PM »
Nice fish and setup perch...I bought a sit on kayak this year but didn't work out for me......couldn't really set it up for fishing very well and would get wet...... the drain holes would let water in......
Am trying to sell it and will have to stick with a canoe.
icejohn

Have you tried scupper plugs or larger sized ones?  Water will get in without plugs.  I still get a small amount with the plugs which came with mine but it is manageable.  Link for some below.   I typically will wear water repellent clothing while the water is cool as paddling can throw some water.  That said, kayak fishing is not for everyone; as mentioned, it took me a while to get accustomed to it. 

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/42022?productId=568213&pla1=0&mr:trackingCode=7FCA1F97-B0F0-E211-A497-90E2BA285E75&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=54196017560&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:tid=aud-148721588960:pla-135983108720&mr:ploc=9002569&mr:iloc=&mr:store=&mr:filter=135983108720&mkwid=Gh7Od7ON_dc&pcrid=54196017560&qs=3091386_google&product=0YH9200000&cvosrc=cse.google.0YH9200000&cvo_crid=54196017560&lsft=mkwid:Gh7Od7ON_dc,pcrid:54196017560,qs:3091386_google,product:0YH9200000,cvosrc:cse.google.0YH9200000,cvo_crid:54196017560

caught_the_fever

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 12:48 PM »
All just necessary items.  ;)

That's what I try to tell my little lady - it's all necessary!   ;D

Good luck on your striper quest - please just leave a few to migrate north to Maine!  Last year was the first in a while when we had a somewhat decent migration, at least in my experience. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.