FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The Slough.  (Read 8972 times)

abishop

Re: The Slough.
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 03:13 PM »
FYI, They have dropped the level of the lake by 2 feet. I don't know it is that much, (what a guy told me). I do know I bottomed out 2 times going to the back. Had to pick up both trolling motors and push out with the oars. With that being said the water temp was 66 degrees, and the male I caught today was milking. Measured 10 1/2 inches also  a warmouth, and another gill at 9 1/4 each. Oh also almost forgot 1 small bass. Talked to about 8 guys with the best going around 15 fish. Most only had a couple. Lot of slime already, and with the lowering of the water it is going to be tough getting a good mess. This week they should be in full spawn mode.

abishop

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 12:16 PM »
I got the skinny. They are lowering the lake because since we haven't gotten ant rain lately the farmers need some water for their crops. They only dropped it 5 inches so far but it sure seems like much more. He also said fishing has been very good. (Sure could of fooled me). Maybe next time.

abishop

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 04:06 PM »

I WILL BE THERE IN THE MORNING. I HAVE A DIFFERENT PLAN OF ATTACK TO FIND THEM. I HEARD THAT A FEW GUYS I KNOW WERE GETTING THEM IN 4 FOW. FISHING DOWN 4 FEET (ON THE BOTTOM). ALSO, YOU CANT SHOW ANY OF THE HOOK. MUST BE COMPLETELY COVERED BY THE WORM.  ANYONE ELSE PLANNING ON GOING???

fishinator

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2016, 07:05 PM »
I seriously doubt a gill will turn its nose up at a worm laying on bottom with a small amount of hook exposed. Unless you are using WAY to big of a hook. I think someone is messing with you.

abishop

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2016, 09:01 PM »
I seriously doubt a gill will turn its nose up at a worm laying on bottom with a small amount of hook exposed. Unless you are using WAY to big of a hook. I think someone is messing with you.
LOTS OF GUYS JUST T BONE THEM AND MIGHT NOT GET AS MANY BITES. I know I have, but I now always thread them like thread to a needle. I will try anything that helps get a little more action.

abishop

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2016, 06:15 PM »
All 14 fish that were kept today were all fat females. Very loose eggs. Largest was 9 3/4 inches. Do the males leave the nest after making , then come back to protect the eggs after the females start dropping them. I was surprised not to catch any males???

den58

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2016, 02:41 PM »
Thinking about going Mon. do you guys think it will be busy because of the holiday and how's the fishing been can you give me any tips thanks in advance, Den

abishop

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2016, 04:11 PM »
I will be there. Fishing has been tough 4 me this year. However, you may find guys who get double limits. Fish just seem hard to find. Since they lowered the water it is even tougher since you cant get to the shallower spots. Alumacraft with mercury motor.

den58

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2016, 07:37 PM »
Hope to see you there will be with my daughter in a Tuffy with a Suzuki

den58

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2016, 01:58 PM »
So how did you do Al we got there around 7:30am stayed till 11:30 no gills but we caught 5 bass forgot to charge my battery after the last time out so I couldn't stay out to long.

abishop

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2016, 03:43 PM »
We started the day at 7 and thought we were for a banner day had 7 fish in the well the first 1/2 hour and had to work another 5 hours to find 8 more. Only saw a couple other boats catch a few and out of the 4 fish I seen caught 3 were bass. We did get 1 of them green carp as well. I forgot to mention the weird sighting I witnessed last week there. We all have probably  noticed the eagle. But I never saw 2 pelicans there before. Beautiful birds. I always thought they were only around the oceans. Anyone else see these. The last 2 times there I haven't noticed them. Must of been just passing thru.

Boomer

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2016, 03:54 PM »
I have seen pelicans at Brookville Reservoir and also in Minnesota before. Surprised me when I first saw them there but . . . wow.

Saw an eagle at Kankakee on ten mile road yesterday. Scared it up from next to the road. What a surprise at close range. Still think they are cool to see.

abishop

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2016, 06:42 PM »
Did anyone else get out there today. I see the campground was still plenty much full. I used to always camp there on Memorial weekend years and years ago. Had many a party there in my time. Did anyone else camp there this weekend? Did anyone catch much today???

wallin

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2016, 07:43 PM »
Good report Al, were they the black and white pelicans? We use to see them when fishing the ILL river years ago.
Use to camp at Willow Slough campground for opening deer season, what a party lol.
Seeing lots of Bald eagles around Wheatfield and Rensselaler by the rivers.
Wallin

abishop

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2016, 08:33 PM »
Yes white and black. good times had by all.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.