FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Berkley Nanofil  (Read 3999 times)

dbad

Berkley Nanofil
« on: May 15, 2016, 10:21 PM »
Usually have pretty good luck with Berkley products, but will never buy Nanofil line again. Fished it just like I fish have successfully Fireline in the same weight and have lost gear, fish and patience, even when using their dumbass special double wrapped Palomar knot. Generally breaks a couple feet
up-line from the knot anyway. ABOUT TWICE THE PRICE OF ANY OTHER PREMIUM BRAID. SAVE YOUR MONEY! THIS STUFF SUCKS and Berkley blows for not admitting it and doing something about it. 

lowaccord66

Re: Berkley Nanofil
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 04:36 PM »
I've been using a spool of it for a couple of years now no issues whatsoever.  Actually I love the stuff.  Not sure what issue your having maybe a bad batch but ya I use it all the time and I even use a regular clinch when trying to a swivel. 

octanehi5

• WORK WAS MADE FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T FISH
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 05:19 PM »
A few years back I spooled up one of my reels for a fly in float plane trip,Nanofil on one of my jigging rods, Make a long story short the nanofil did not make the day.So bad You could not pay me to put it on again. I stick with my Suffex 832
If it was easy they would have called it catchin,not fishin

westernmas

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 11:48 AM »
I'm with you.  I tried it and hated everything about it.  Just do yourself a favor and buy dental floss if you are going to use this junk.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

dbad

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 01:08 PM »
Yep, sorry about the language fellers, I just never realized something as simple as fishing line could aggravate me so badly. Maybe I was expecting too much, but I expected Nanofil to be better than Fireline and it doesn't even come close. I'll go back to Fireline or P-Line mono on everything.

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 07:40 AM »
I'm with you.  I tried it and hated everything about it.  Just do yourself a favor and buy dental floss if you are going to use this junk.

Every freshwater fish you've seen me post has been caught on it.  One mans junk is anothers treasure I suppose.  I love the stuff...

thedirtydirtyfisherman

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 07:44 AM »
sounds like maybe in the manufacturing of the product if conditions and production arent 100 percent, then it can have major consequences.  I myself have used it with great success, but with the others who have trouble it must not be coincidence.  Ive also seen nanofil in some clearance isles at stores so there may be some merit to batches that are terrible.

dbad

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 12:50 PM »
sounds like maybe in the manufacturing of the product if conditions and production arent 100 percent, then it can have major consequences.  I myself have used it with great success, but with the others who have trouble it must not be coincidence.  Ive also seen nanofil in some clearance isles at stores so there may be some merit to batches that are terrible.
With as many satisfied users and advocates of Nanofil happy with it, I agree that it very well could be a quality control issue. Still a major issue in my eyes. I however need to be able to trust my line (apparently more than I ever realized). I really like the way it handles until it breaks with no warning.
Will never spend 1-1/2 times the price of premium braid to take the chance of being aggravated this way. I certainly don't mind paying top dollar for products that perform as I believe they should, I just refuse to take the chance again. Berkley surely knows about these problems and should offer to refund or replace this line let alone the $9 Rapala that you watched floating down the river, irrecoverable.

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 12:57 PM »
So I was jigging with it day before last.  Origional spool from when the stuff came out a few years back.  It's time to replace it, I will try it again and see if any issues exist.  I am confident it will be fine.

I will say you should take a q tip and run it through all of your guides to check for cracks.  While it may not be an issue with thicker braids, a cracked guide would waste nanofil easily.

dbad

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 01:38 PM »
So I was jigging with it day before last.  Origional spool from when the stuff came out a few years back.  It's time to replace it, I will try it again and see if any issues exist.  I am confident it will be fine.

I will say you should take a q tip and run it through all of your guides to check for cracks.  While it may not be an issue with thicker braids, a cracked guide would waste nanofil easily.
Not likely, bought the rod the same day I bought the line, stainless steel guides. I will however check the guides, particularly the tip guide huh.

theron86

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 09:25 AM »
stripernut

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 10:33 AM »
I used it once and I was not impressed, I use Gliss anywhere I want to go real fine and cast far. I try to stay away from most Berkley products anyways. I know for a fact that they will change a product completely, and use the same "label". When I get use to using something, I want to know it will be the same each time I use it... Great marketing company...

dbad

« Reply #12 on: Jun 01, 2016, 12:58 PM »
I used it once and I was not impressed, I use Gliss anywhere I want to go real fine and cast far. I try to stay away from most Berkley products anyways. I know for a fact that they will change a product completely, and use the same "label". When I get use to using something, I want to know it will be the same each time I use it... Great marketing company...

Good to know about Berkley, gonna check out Gliss to see if it will work for me.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #13 on: Jun 07, 2016, 04:32 PM »
Every freshwater fish you've seen me post has been caught on it.  One mans junk is anothers treasure I suppose.  I love the stuff...

Same here, since it came out.  I love it too.  Could it be better?  Yeah.

Breakage that I've had has been shock on the knots on the hook set.  The way to solve the problem is to go up in pound test (use the same diameter that you used to use before Nanofil, forget the package break strength because it's not going to help you).  The idea that you can get the same strength from line that is 1/10th as thin as what you used to use just doesn't add up, no matter how it is packaged.  

For example, I used to use 8 pound fluorocarbon.  Rather than use 8 pound Nanofil, I use 12 or 14 which is just about the same diameter as the 8 lb. fluoro.  It still casts further than the fluoro, and also braid of the same diameter.

I fish both tidal and non-tidal waters.  I don't use a leader and tie my lures right to it.  The fish don't seem to be line shy.  The things that I've learned about it are that it floats, so use more weight than you used to (fluoro sinks, so for me it was a must).  Retie often, as you would any line, especially if you fish abrasive cover.  When your spool gets low and the line frays too much for your liking, add backing to another spool, and transfer the used line to the backing and you have a new spool of line.  Fish of the pike family bite through it like butter, so use fluoro or steel leaders for them, or tieable wire leaders.  By the way, I've only had one fish break me off, and it was probably a huge striper or black drum, I never saw it, and it would have broken 8 lb. fluorocarbon too, no doubt in my mind.  Nanofil tends to "float" on a cast during windy days, so use more weight to get it down, but since there is no stretch, you will still feel bites.

Now, I'm not glued to any brands, no sponsors or crap like that.  I go with what works for me.  I heard Gliss was good but may have some of the same problems.  Some say it's better.  I haven't found any yet, but when I do, I'll give it a shot.  If it's better, then I'll use it.  By the way, I only use it on spinning tackle.  I've heard from others that it digs in on baitcasters and I don't need that problem.  I use 50-80 lb. Suffix 832 for my baitcasters and it digs in more than my liking, but not too bad, and I love the performance of it too.  I also like PowerPro for those same reasons and situations.

Comparing Nanofil to braid, braid is stronger, but thin braid is subject to the same problems with breakage (shock on knots).  Thin braid gave me fits with what I thought were wind knots, especially while working soft plastic flukes or Senkos.  Nanofil does not cause that problem for me.

This is my honest assessment.  It is my opinion based on use, and I've tried just about every line out there other than Gliss (or at least type of line).  It's not that I don't like those lines, it's just that I find the advantages that Nanofil has to offer outweigh the disadvantages.

I can't stress enough to not go by the poundage, and use heavier poundage than you used to, go by diameter instead.  That is what I'm going to do with Gliss when I try it (probably the 24 pound diameter).  I'll post back after I gain some experience with it.

lowaccord66

« Reply #14 on: Jun 07, 2016, 07:11 PM »
Nice write up.  I was using it today and noted how its gotten floss like after a few seasons of abuse.  I still can't complain.  Ill try the gliss just because I like trying different stuff but at the end of the day some of this stuff is just personal preference.  We can split hairs about how one is better than the other but better is really just in the eye of the beholder isn't it?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.