FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Spring is finally here!  (Read 901 times)

taxid

Spring is finally here!
« on: May 20, 2016, 10:08 PM »
The bullfrogs on my ponds are really croaking tonight! I hear them with the windows closed!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

ftwwalleye

Re: Spring is finally here!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 09:24 AM »
Means we can break out the top water frog lures soon!

taxid

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 10:26 AM »
Means we can break out the top water frog lures soon!

Reminds me of something:

Back when I raised largemouth bass for the taxidermy market and the bass were still small, the biggest pond had a blue million frogs. The frogs were really into breeding and would be swimming all over the pond to prospective mates. Trouble was the bass were too small to swallow them. But that didn't keep them from smacking the frogs and then letting go of them under water to have them float back to the surface. The bass reminded me of Great Whites tossing seal pups around if you've ever seen that on TV.  A frog would go down, come back up, only to go be grabbed by another fish.

Once the bass were large enough to swallow frogs the frog numbers greatly diminished!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rivereddy

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 11:42 AM »
My wife and I regularly visit a couple of ponds, catchment basins really, to observe the frog populations.  They are thick
with 2nd year tadpoles many of which are just sprouting hind legs. The ponds are small and shallow.  The only fish we
see are small minnows.  Two regular predators or a green heron and a snapper with a shell about 10 " across.  Don't
know if the parent frogs made it or not.  We haven't heard them yet this year.

About 10 years ago I worked as a volunteer "census taker" for the North American Amphibian Mapping Project.  Every two
weeks I ran a 5 mile route and counted frog/toad sounds.  It was enjoyable work.

fish on,

rivereddy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.