FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Does Indiana have a litter law on state property?  (Read 2639 times)

taxid

Does Indiana have a litter law on state property?
« on: May 22, 2016, 09:29 AM »
Anybody know?  If not maybe our legislators might consider a law with a 500 dollar fine or something with a sign posted at the access sites? I mean with some of the stuff they seem to be preoccupied with, this shouldn't be a matter of contention.

I think you all agree but the amount of trash we're finding at public access sites is getting old. I can always at least partially fill a trash bag at just about any public access site I frequent.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Piggyn

Re: Does Indiana have a litter law on state property?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 10:57 AM »
Common sense (don't poop where you eat) should be enough to stop people from littering at the lake, on the lake, or anywhere else for that matter.  It's kind of absurd that a law is even necessary.
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

taxid

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 12:35 PM »
Common sense (don't poop where you eat) should be enough to stop people from littering at the lake, on the lake, or anywhere else for that matter.  It's kind of absurd that a law is even necessary.

The problem with common sense is it's not common.  ;)

My thinking is it's the same small group of people doing this over and over again, and if they get burnt maybe they'll think twice about doing it again.

Maybe the $500.00 sign could make them think twice.

The litter I picked up the other day has a receipt from Dairy Queen that used a debit card. Wouldn't be hard to track down the customer would it?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

abishop

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 12:37 PM »
You have my vote. Take it in, pack it out....

taxid

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 12:38 PM »
You have my vote. Take it in, pack it out....

I'm doing some research on this. If it comes down to it maybe I'll start a campaign to get some legislation passed or even chip in for some signs.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 03:18 PM »
trash is everywhere, always has been. always will be. its a shame. but its here to stay. leo cant be everywhere.

No but if he just happens to be there at the right time... ;D

I see a problem I go after it. I don't accept the status quo.

Boomer

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 04:49 PM »
I do believe that Indiana has a litter law - statewide. Dan White was a CO in Washington County many years ago. Remember watching him sift through many a garbage bag to get evidence and prosecute.

tomturkey

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 07:24 PM »
At one time I had a bury dump and then a transfer site not far from my house. I always had a camera under my van seat for when some one was dumping out side the gate when the dump was closed. Some times the camera did not have any film in it but the click of the shutter made the idiots pick up their garbage.  I always made sure to take a picture of the license plate

One time I saw a pile in the ditch that was not there a few minutes when I took my sons to Sunday School. I got out and on top was an envelope from a friends motel to a guy in Ill. It contained all the financial info on the motel as my friend was trying to sell it. When I got home I called the friend to tell him of my find and then the Sheriff. It did not take my friend long to come get the contents of the envelope but it was hours before the Sherriff showed up.

We really had clean roads as most of the ones I turned in got road clean up on top of their fines. It is surprising how many idiots dump evidence of who they are in the junk.

taxid

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 07:52 PM »
Turns out we do have litter laws and there's even a sign at the ramp which I didn't notice.

I guess the INDNR is looking for sponsors to do clean up at ramps like the adopt a highway program. I'm going to volunteer to be an official person or business for the Eagle Lake ramp. I only live about a mile and a half away as the crow flies. I guess it's my way to say thanks to the INDNR as I do benefit from the management of state waters with my taxidermy business.

Going to see if I can even put a heavy trash can and liner there and remove the trash and liner once a week along with litter pick up, and put it in with my weekly garbage pick up. Just hope no one steals it or decides to make it their personal household trash can.

taxid

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 07:53 PM »
I do believe that Indiana has a litter law - statewide. Dan White was a CO in Washington County many years ago. Remember watching him sift through many a garbage bag to get evidence and prosecute.

Thanks Boomer and for all the responses!

staubsaugen

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 04:58 AM »
Thanks taxid for your cleanup at Eagle.  I fished there a bit yesterday with the kids and it looked great.  One thing I know about that spot is many non fisher-folk just come and park there for whatever reason maybe to eat there lunches.  I'm guessing that contributes at least some to the litter problem.  But hey all you good folks on here let's do our part to keep public accesses clean!

bigr

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 05:38 AM »
The Wabash River Defenders have cameras set up in a few locations along the river in Wabash county at the most popular pull off dump spots. It's resulted in several fines in the last two years. We've found out that the ones dumping are not usually from the county but from neighboring counties. Dumping in those area have lessened. I'm sure those idiot types are finding less travel roads to dump but the word seems to have slowly got out where not to dump.

taxid

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 08:39 PM »
Thanks taxid for your cleanup at Eagle.  I fished there a bit yesterday with the kids and it looked great.  One thing I know about that spot is many non fisher-folk just come and park there for whatever reason maybe to eat there lunches.  I'm guessing that contributes at least some to the litter problem.  But hey all you good folks on here let's do our part to keep public accesses clean!

No need to thank me, but thanks for the kind words.

Yes, I think you are right about folks eating lunches there.

I saw a hispanic kid fishing off the pier while his mother was crashed in the car one day. I felt sorry for him and gave him 4 or 5 crappies to take home when I came back in. We have a fair share of even adults in the area that can't afford a boat. And we all know how out of luck you are in Indiana with lake access if you don't have a boat. Most of the public access sites are in really shallow water away from the best spots to fish. Not saying they are a bad thing of course. God bless whoever in the INDNR had the foresight to put in public access sites years ago. We all know if it was up to SOME of the lake residents we wouldn't be welcome on the lakes. Hell we already aren't welcome by some of them.

Had an interesting thing happen one year in at a recycling drop off in Cromwell, Indiana.  For those of you that don't know, it's a very small town not far from Lake Wawasee on State Rd. 5.  I was dropping off some recycling stuff and noticed a guy in a pickup circling the site but not pulling in. He was watching me apprehensively. I purposely stayed for a while and he kept driving around and was obviously waiting for me to leave as he didn't want me to see what he wanted to drop off.  

I quickly found someone in town and told her that there was going to be someone dropping something off at the recycling site that doesn't belong there. I asked her if she could call it into the local town police department as I didn't have a cell phone. She was more than happy to as it must have been a reoccurring problem.

That site no longer exists probably due to abuse. I've seen couches and regular garbage dropped off at similar sites. Some people are just dirt bags.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.