FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Long shaft vs. Short shaft outboard  (Read 11533 times)

taxid

Long shaft vs. Short shaft outboard
« on: May 23, 2016, 10:33 PM »
Are there any disadvantages of putting a long shaft outboard on a transom that is small enough to except a short shaft? (Transom height is 16.5 inches).
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

Re: Long shaft vs. Short shaft outboard
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 10:37 PM »
O.K. found this although I have found some bad info on yahoo before.

https://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100601222926AA9nuCT
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

boondox

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 10:53 PM »
couple quick questions what hp is the motor and what is the boat rated for??if it is at its max hp the yahoo answers is kind of correct it could have the wrong and to much lift but some how don't think your buying some thing like a 15 hp motor for a 14 foot boat rated at 15 hp I thought you said you were getting a 6 hp motor?  if it is a long shaft it will be fine no jack plate needed.. unless you going in shallow water like 3-4 inches deep just tilt the motor up and get in close with the boat it how we do it pike fishing on st Clair some guys even got poling platforms on their boats... as long as your in deep enough water to run the motor your fine just remember it is a long shaft and keep a eye on it... when in close to shore or going threw stuff like canals, channels, ,cuts  or etc.. that the motor may run a ground in...  we have a standard motor shaft length on the boat we use on st Clair ..and still got to tilt it in the shallows.. if running it threw the tiller would be best cause you can keep a eye on it like water depth also if stumps are know have a buddy up front spot them for you so you can avoid them...  some people don't really realize why but water dead heads are there old dock and ship pile lings are there etc are there so it happens don't take stuff for granted...

taxid

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 12:00 AM »
Thanks Boondox.

Haven't made a purchase yet. Waiting on an accounts receivable for a live fish sale of over $800.00 to add to what I have saved.

Been looking at Craig's List in a 100 mile radius and have seen some decent buys on clean four strokes but were long shaft. Will still probably go brand new short shaft Mercury at a local dealer but was wondering about the long shafts.

Will have to check to see what my boat is rated at. I used to have a 15 horse Johnson on it. Don't remember what the shaft length was.

JDK

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 05:45 AM »
I had an extra long shaft outboard on my boat that required a long shaft.  Came with it when I bought it.  IMHO, I lost a good bit of top end performance...read...it was a dog.  It trolled wonderfully but you didn't want to plan to go anywhere fast and while I cannot prove this I feel I burnt more fuel.

Again, in my opinion, I'd get the outboard type that fits your boat.
# SAND

Knot there yet

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 07:11 AM »
Tohatsu (Nissan) and Mercury are same motor if you want to save some coin.

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 07:22 AM »
YES, big time. I had a 15 horse longshaft on a very light Grumman V-hull jon boat. It was the scariest boat I have ever been in. Was as fast as @#$% but if you are at full speed and move the tiller to turn the boat a tiny bit the boat really tips on it's side.

taxid

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 08:27 PM »
Tohatsu (Nissan) and Mercury are same motor if you want to save some coin.

Didn't know that. I noticed they are a little cheaper. The local dealer says you can't find a lot of people that work on Tohatsu. My guess is since he sold Mercs he was bsing me. I would think a good mechanic could work on all of them.

Thoughts?

boondox

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 09:03 PM »
Tohatsu is a good motor so is Nissan from what I have heard do a on line search see if you can get parts... if you can then you should be all set there should be plenty of marine mechanic's out there that can do the work...

taxid

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 09:35 PM »
Tohatsu is a good motor so is Nissan from what I have heard do a on line search see if you can get parts... if you can then you should be all set there should be plenty of marine mechanic's out there that can do the work...

Yep that's what I thought.

Knot there yet

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 10:55 AM »
Nissan bought Mercury long time ago. Same exact motors only decals are different. The big Mercury 90hp and up still made in USA. But same motors owned by Nissan co. Is Tahaitsu. New plant they built in USA state of the art. They have there own foundry pour and cast all there own parts(blocks,manifolds)amazing place. 'Fond du Lac Wisconsin'They were on "how its made "tv show.

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 11:48 AM »
Nissan bought Mercury long time ago. Same exact motors only decals are different. The big Mercury 90hp and up still made in USA. But same motors owned by Nissan co. Is Tahaitsu. New plant they built in USA state of the art. They have there own foundry pour and cast all there own parts(blocks,manifolds)amazing place. 'Fond du Lac Wisconsin'They were on "how its made "tv show.

Yes this.  The Tohatsu is much closer to a Merc than a Nissan.  Good outboards.  To answer the origional question I had always thought shaft length was a function of transome height...

taxid

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 10:41 PM »
Looked at the transom info. My boat is rated to 25 hp.  But it's my understanding the 4 strokes are much heavier for the horsepower. I think the highest I would go would be a 15 hp.

Mac Attack

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 06:22 AM »
But it's my understanding the 4 strokes are much heavier for the horsepower. I think the highest I would go would be a 15 hp.

This isn't really true anymore.
The motor manufacturers have all gotten a lot of weight out of their respected 4-strokes.

For example, a Yamaha 25hp 4-stroke weighs about 170 pounds.
An Evinrude 25hp E-tec weighs in at 166 pounds
both are 20" units with electric start.

20-30 years ago 4-strokes were heavier, but not today.

tjacob

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 10:23 AM »

This isn't really true anymore.
The motor manufacturers have all gotten a lot of weight out of their respected 4-strokes.

For example, a Yamaha 25hp 4-stroke weighs about 170 pounds.
An Evinrude 25hp E-tec weighs in at 166 pounds
both are 20" units with electric start.

20-30 years ago 4-strokes were heavier, but not today.
Truth. My 20 hp Honda shorty with Electric start and trim weights only 114 lbs. Great motor by the way.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.