FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Been a busy couple weeks (pic heavy)  (Read 2757 times)

seamonkey84

Been a busy couple weeks (pic heavy)
« on: May 24, 2016, 01:51 PM »
It's been a little nuts since my last fishing report. Good thing I take at least a few pics each day to remember the order of events. So just over a week ago my friend brought me out to try for pike. Plan was to go to a stretch of river that he knows has 30"+ fish. unfortunately the gate to the launch was closed, so off to plan B which worked out alright.
Caught my first pike (ever) right around the bend from where we launched

Other than that I caught a dink SMB and my friend caught about three fish that day.
Then this past week, because they needed to cut hours, I got several days off. Two of the best days I've had yet trout fishing yet. Yes I know these are stocked trout, and I've had days where I've caught more (all these tiny Browns they been putting in some popular spots) but these couple days had numbers with better size and a bit of selective feeding to make it more interesting. At the spot I'm talking about, there was some high water after they put them in so it really got them moving to make it more fun. On these days, there were several different "hatches" going on and I was constantly changing flies to stay on them (as a note, carpenter ant queen flight was starting to happen, the next couple days are going to be hot and I have a feeling most of the ones in S Maine are going to fly). Here's the highlights from those two dozen or more fish a day trips.

This brown has different pattern than ones I've been catching in a few other places, I've heard they are working with a few different strains, is that what I'm seeing? Also, the hatchery that put in these "8 inch" ones are at least 8 (or could be holdovers) where the other rivers that report "8 inch" seem to be getting ones that top out at 8

Compared to ones from other places

More brookies

Then on Friday we went to target pike again... While trolling through an area, this guy wanted to be friends with my lure
My friend caught a small pike while trolling a spinner (I didn't get his pics)
Then while going up the inlet of the lake, we found these

Lost count of how many of them we caught , all averaging 13" with very few small ones. Then of course as we jigged for crappie, I also caught a couple of these impressively strong little guys

I though I had a bass on

Then while still going for crappie, something toothy comes along (light action rod with 6lb mono)

Another on the light line

back into the lake for more pike, my friend lands himself a new PB at 30" (again on his camera). While fishing around a submerged hump that has tall emerging grass, we heard lots of commotion in the grass, so casting to its edges around that noise made sense, and landed me my biggest one yet at 28"

After releasing that brute, we still heard lots of splashing comming from the reeds. Getting closer, we realize we were in the middle of a white perch spawn! Which prob explains the huge lumps in the gut of the pike I had just caught. No more pics as we were too busy trying to catch them before we had to leave. Everything I've read said to throw anything into the swirling mass, but none of those would bite. We had to cast to the edge of main school to get ones that would bite.

I then end the week by going out for the evening bite after I got out of work.  They were being rather picky, examining and rejecting just about everything. I was using a elk hair caddis (lots of caddis flying around) for a dry dropper and kept changing my nymphs with out much luck. Also tried emergers, ants, and griffiths gnat without luck. Finally I just changed the elk hair off and used a parachute Adams, and immediately started catching.

Honestly my neck and shoulder are a bit sore after last week (plus maybe slept wrong on that side) so I'm spending this cool rainy day in. I'll be back at it on Thursday when I'm off again... Though I may just hit the river again tonight lol.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

shrinkage

• I Fish Therefore I Am
Re: Been a busy couple weeks (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 02:11 PM »
Awesome! That's what I call hard at it! :flex: :flex: :clapping:

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 02:22 PM »
Love the variety!  There are some nice brookies in the mix.  White perch are a ball on flyrod.  Nice batch of productive fishing for you 8)  I can see why your neck and shoulders are barking ;D

MG39

• No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 02:57 PM »
Looks like you've been busy as of late. Quite a variety and I've been getting those small pike in there.

You move around so much you should put the date & time on your camera, then you'll have a good record keeping system on time of day etc. :)
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today, And I Will Trust Tomorrow.
Maybe!
               "Semper Fi"

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 03:23 PM »
Nice

Pike are fun

As to the hatchery browns maine has been stocking three strains; seeforellen (commecticut), sandwich/cape cod (mass) and a new gloucester (hatchery) strain as far as i know, part of a long study on broodstock brown trout that's supposedly ending soon

fish wayniac

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 04:21 PM »
Chi, You have been slaying them. Good mix of fish. As far as the size of stocked fish. I think 8" is the average but some are bigger.I caught some brookies durring ice fishing season 8"-9" then a 12" and 15" at a pond.Great post!

zwiggles

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 05:33 PM »
Nice report, and thank you for sharing. Stockies or not the pictures of the Brookies in the water are really neat.

franklin fisher

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 07:37 PM »
  Great post.  Nice variety of species.  13 inch Crappie are a nice bunch to get into.  Good size to that White Perch also.  Congrats on getting some Pike.  I haven't caught one yet myself, one of my next outings will be trip where I might get into some though.  Thanks for sharing.

Stickbait

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 09:15 PM »
You've been busy!! Great mix!

seamonkey84

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 12:57 PM »
Tomorrow I'm hoping to find some bedding bass, the temp is just about right in a few lakes I checked last week. I hope to get some topwater action with a fly rod instead of just frogs and jigs (I don't have a huge assortment of bass lures lol).
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 03:32 PM »
Tomorrow I'm hoping to find some bedding bass, the temp is just about right in a few lakes I checked last week. I hope to get some topwater action with a fly rod instead of just frogs and jigs (I don't have a huge assortment of bass lures lol).

I saw big smallies on their beds the past week or so, this was in flowimg water tho.  Water temp high 50s/low 60s.  Caught a few up in the 16" to 18" range forgot how much of a blast they are on the fly rod

seamonkey84

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 04:13 PM »
What where they biting? I'm hoping for topwater but not against throwing streamers, I even have sinking line now since I plan on using primarily the fly rod this year.

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 05:47 PM »
What where they biting? I'm hoping for topwater but not against throwing streamers, I even have sinking line now since I plan on using primarily the fly rod this year.

Ive been getting them all on various wolly buggers ive been tying, im sure they'd go for just about any streamer tho.  A little early for topwater IMO but that's just me i could be wrong

One particular wolly bugger i tied  (getting pretty good at tying buggers) has been slamming them, conehead bugger size 8 streamer hook, pearl/wolly bugger chenile, marabou with some crystal flash in the tail has been killing the fallfish and smallies. Fallfish up to 14" smallies up to 18"

TightLinesMaine

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 05:49 PM »

What kind of sinking line did you get, curious

I use sink tip quite a bit but never have tried full sink/intermediate

chum bucket

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 07:00 PM »
Wow you have certainly been busy. Awesome amounts of fish and quite the variety. Congrats

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.