FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lewis Pond?  (Read 4063 times)

MadflyfishingVT

Lewis Pond?
« on: May 24, 2016, 08:44 PM »
I have been researching ponds to try this summer with the fly rod for brook trout. I know of a couple ponds that are good. Although I would like to find more pond to try. I herd that Lewis used to be good, but some how has bass in it now? Does anyone know if there is any trout left to fish? And is there really bass there now:( Looks like a picture perfect trout pond! Any info on this pond or anyother would be very appreciated.

taxid

Re: Lewis Pond?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 08:50 PM »
I have been researching ponds to try this summer with the fly rod for brook trout. I know of a couple ponds that are good. Although I would like to find more pond to try. I herd that Lewis used to be good, but some how has bass in it now? Does anyone know if there is any trout left to fish? And is there really bass there now:( Looks like a picture perfect trout pond! Any info on this pond or anyother would be very appreciated.

Your Fish & Game department should have a list of ponds they manage exclusively for brook trout or good bets for brook trout.  Have you tried them?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

MadflyfishingVT

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 08:56 PM »
Your Fish & Game department should have a list of ponds they manage exclusively for brook trout or good bets for brook trout.  Have you tried them?

Yes I have looked and found some. I found a biologist report on Vermont brook trout ponds. I saw Lewis pond and wondered how good it really is as I herd there is bass there now.

taxid

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 09:55 PM »
Yes I have looked and found some. I found a biologist report on Vermont brook trout ponds. I saw Lewis pond and wondered how good it really is as I herd there is bass there now.

O.k. Got ya.

I would think bass could do a number on the resident brook trout if the pond isn't too big. Maybe someone here will know.

Fished a beautiful isolated brook trout pond in northern Maine once. Didn't catch a single brook trout probably due to the chubs up to 10 inches that had taken over the pond, and were in all the feeder creeks. It's a shame people can't obey the local laws. Saw some guys using minnows on Rainbow Deadwaters just south of Rainbow Lake just after a float plane had dropped them off. Also a big no no.  Reported it to our lodge owner on Namachanta Lake. Said he probably knew the float plane operator and was going to raise hell.

This was about 15 years ago at least.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

TroutCrazy

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 07:17 PM »
I was about to say I've never fished Lewis, but then I looked at the map and realized that I have.  It was stunningly beautiful, and I got skunked.  I've fished other ponds that were in that study, and it was very nice.

I'd be sad to hear that there were bass there now.  I hiked in to Levi pond a couple springs ago, and the first thing I saw was spawning bass  :'(

MadflyfishingVT

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 07:55 AM »
I was about to say I've never fished Lewis, but then I looked at the map and realized that I have.  It was stunningly beautiful, and I got skunked.  I've fished other ponds that were in that study, and it was very nice.

I'd be sad to hear that there were bass there now.  I hiked in to Levi pond a couple springs ago, and the first thing I saw was spawning bass  :'(

It would be nice if the state could some how restore these ponds back to being trout, and trout only...

taxid

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 10:41 AM »
It would be nice if the state could some how restore these ponds back to being trout, and trout only...

Vermont doesn't do that? I know New York does, or used to. 

crayfish2

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 02:01 PM »
I don't know of any ponds that VT state has "killed off" in many years.  I think they used to do it, but now the "treehuggers" even have a fit when they try to kill the lampreys!  I fished Lewis a few times many years ago.  It was a fun trip just getting to it .... you never knew what you were going to see on the road in.... but we never did very well there.  That was over 20yrs ago, so no idea what it's like now.  There are lots of nice ponds in that area, though, that seem to hold better trout populations.

taxid

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 03:03 PM »
The piscicide of choice, rotenone, has been outlawed in some eastern states. Maybe Vermont is one of them?

Another overreaction of a very useful compound that becomes inactive within days. There's some thought it's regular use could cause Parkinson's disease but considering the huge amount researchers used to cause the symptoms in rats...

Fish Farmer

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 10:15 AM »
Considering the extreme use of rotenone or some other mass eradication effort, what would keep some individual from restocking said waterbody with say...crappie or catfish? There are many cases of fish being spread by anglers, 20 years ago alewifes were illegally introduced in a small lake in Vermont, which decimated the smelt population, now those alewives are firmly established in Lake Champlain, another lake has smallmouth and catfish where they didn't exist before, the list goes on....

There isn't enough manpower to patrol every lake and pond. People never seem to be happy with what is in available to them and become bait bucket biologists.

taxid

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 10:55 AM »
Considering the extreme use of rotenone or some other mass eradication effort, what would keep some individual from restocking said waterbody with say...crappie or catfish? There are many cases of fish being spread by anglers, 20 years ago alewifes were illegally introduced in a small lake in Vermont, which decimated the smelt population, now those alewives are firmly established in Lake Champlain, another lake has smallmouth and catfish where they didn't exist before, the list goes on....

There isn't enough manpower to patrol every lake and pond. People never seem to be happy with what is in available to them and become bait bucket biologists.

Yes definitely a problem no doubt, but rotenone was still a very effective tool for small isolated bodies of water like mountain brook trout ponds.

On large bodies of water I'm not convinced that 100 percent of undesirable species are eradicated even with the best intentions. All it takes is one male and one female.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.