FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Question about fish grabbers  (Read 5236 times)

Conundrum

Question about fish grabbers
« on: May 26, 2016, 05:16 PM »
Do they work for northerns and pickerel?

I fish from a canoe, from a kayak and sometimes from the shore.  I fish catch and release but I do like to measure length and weight (to keep myself honest). I have at times used a net but if I use a treble hook it gets tangled in the net and is a mess.  I don't want to excessively stress the fish but I really like to take exact measurements.

Would a fish grabber work on pike?

Bass I have no problem with because I can just lip grab them.

GAMBELL

• 24 lb. 11 oz. laker
Re: Question about fish grabbers
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 07:53 PM »
IMO they are not the greatest thing for a fish but the do work.  They do cause damage if fish are held vertically.  I have seen some pictures of destroyed jaws on Musky and northerns. 

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 07:58 PM »
If you're speaking of a Boga grip, yes they do.

jeffmac85

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 11:23 PM »
If you use one always support the weight of the fish with the other hand under the belly and hold horizontally.   To weigh, hang the fish in the net and subtract the weight of the net

Conundrum

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 06:15 AM »
Thanks, That's I do weigh most fish in the the net and subtract the weight of the net.  Bass if I can hook the lure with the scale I sometimes weight it that way.  Another post stated that the Boka grabber works well. maybe I'll try one.  I like to keep a fishing journal and I kind of have four categories of the fish I catch:
(1) too small to measure or log into journal
(2) quick length measure only
(3) a bit bigger so measure length and weight
(4) length and weight and of course picture (not too often)

Northern and pickerel seem to get stressed quickly out of water.  They start to get that heavy slime which lets you know that they aren't doing well.  The treble hooks and nets don't seem to be a good match and if the hook gets tangled while the fish is still hooked its a tough situation.

I hate to injure a fish I am not eating.

If you use one always support the weight of the fish with the other hand under the belly and hold horizontally.   To weigh, hang the fish in the net and subtract the weight of the net

bshirtd

• If he aint 2 liters throw em back
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 06:37 AM »
Spend the extra money on a net with rubber mesh. The lures never get tangled. That would solve one problem at least.
black shirt defense .... swarm and punish

Conundrum

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 07:11 AM »
Spend the extra money on a net with rubber mesh. The lures never get tangled. That would solve one problem at least.

Makes sense.  I have never used a net with rubber mesh.  If it works its worth it.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 08:05 AM »

Its tough finding big rubber nets though.   I do alot of fishing for big fish like pike, stripers and carp, and the only rubber nets I've found big enough were so heavy, it was tough to do a proper scoop.

That being said, I use a rubber net for the rest of my fishing (walleyes especially) and wouldn't be without it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 08:53 AM »
Its tough finding big rubber nets though.   I do alot of fishing for big fish like pike, stripers and carp, and the only rubber nets I've found big enough were so heavy, it was tough to do a proper scoop.

That being said, I use a rubber net for the rest of my fishing (walleyes especially) and wouldn't be without it.

I agree with Lance.
My big water net for walleye and salmon doesn't have a rubber net option.
In the boat, when trolling for eyes or salmon, a long handled net is what is called for.
My net cost me $135 and it is worth every penny.
It has a 10 foot length with a 30"x24" hoop and folds up to about 30" long by about 12" wide.
It took me a long time to pull the trigger on buying it.
$135 is a lot of cash for a net.
But then a friend asked me how much I had invested in my boat and other fishing equipment.
So I bought it and love it.
But there isn't a rubber net available for it.
And try to net a 5+ pound walleye in a typical rubber net while bouncing around in Lake Erie in 2-3' seas.
You will lose a lot of fish.
(or even take a swim)

We have a Boca on board but don't use it to land fish.

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 09:19 AM »

My net cost me $135 and it is worth every penny.
It has a 10 foot length with a 30"x24" hoop and folds up to about 30" long by about 12" wide.
It took me a long time to pull the trigger on buying it.
$135 is a lot of cash for a net.
But then a friend asked me how much I had invested in my boat and other fishing equipment.
So I bought it and love it.

Mac, been looking to invest in something like this, what brand/model did you get?

bshirtd

• If he aint 2 liters throw em back
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 09:53 AM »
I've always found that if you put their heads in the net the weight of the fish stretches the net just fine even on 40 lbs carp. I get what you guys are saying though if you have a monster salmon net you probably don't need to finesse the head in you can just scoop. However, I don't think he is going to carry a salmon net in his canoe though. I suppose your best option is the boca grips I mean it will have a scale on it and most fish should be fine.
black shirt defense .... swarm and punish

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 01:38 PM »
I use a  fish grapper a lot!  great in the  kayak  and  really great salt water fishing  ...  pike pickerel and tiger muskys thru the ice  it's  tops!  blue  fish   they will save you stitches ...now  as   your only landing tool no   take a  net as well .....if  I lose a  bluefish big deal  but what if  it's a   doormat fluke????  or  a 8 pound walleye????  the  fish  grapper  basicly lips the  fish  and  helps  you remove  hooks in toothy  critters... some  have a  tape  measure  and  a  scale  built in  .... and  releasing a  fish is  a lot  easier  and  the  fish doesn't lose  slim  as it  would  from you netting and handling him .....I finally wore my old one  out and  got a  decent replacement from  bass pro shop ...I personally  love  them ...if I was  meat fishing  I would  use  the  net

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Grip-Master-II/product/97490/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 01:42 PM »
oh  bye the way blue fish  will bite  right threw  your net

and  once that  gripper  has  his lip  you have total  control
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Mac Attack

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 01:52 PM »
Mac, been looking to invest in something like this, what brand/model did you get?

I knew somebody would make me chase this down Lance.
I had to do some digging on Amazon but found it.

http://www.amazon.com/StowMaster-TS108S-Tournament-Precision-Landing/dp/B0013BNNRM?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

They make a larger one too.
I had originally bought the big one but it was huge!!!
So I returned it for a full refund and got the one above.
Can't beat Amazon.

Here's a link to the larger one -

http://www.amazon.com/StowMaster-TS120X-Tournament-Precision-Landing/dp/B0013BRGBG?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Conundrum

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2016, 12:26 PM »
I use a  fish grapper a lot!  great in the  kayak  and  really great salt water fishing  ...  pike pickerel and tiger muskys thru the ice  it's  tops!  blue  fish   they will save you stitches ...now  as   your only landing tool no   take a  net as well .....if  I lose a  bluefish big deal  but what if  it's a   doormat fluke????  or  a 8 pound walleye????  the  fish  grapper  basicly lips the  fish  and  helps  you remove  hooks in toothy  critters... some  have a  tape  measure  and  a  scale  built in  .... and  releasing a  fish is  a lot  easier  and  the  fish doesn't lose  slim  as it  would  from you netting and handling him .....I finally wore my old one  out and  got a  decent replacement from  bass pro shop ...I personally  love  them ...if I was  meat fishing  I would  use  the  net

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Grip-Master-II/product/97490/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

very useful post - thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.