MFF US Midwest > Michigan
NW Indiana looking for info on White Fish
(1/1)
wallin:
Anybody fish for whitefish? How far north do I have to go to find the depth for white fish without having to go out to far?
Ice fished for them through the Ice on Green Bay.
Any info would be great.

Thanks
Tom
boondox:
I caught a lot of them over the winter like January and February in the st clair river...from shore in port huron Michigan my suggestion try here or even other rivers in the winter cause they don't freeze.. "moving water don't freeze"...  they tend to head in to or up rivers when it's cold here is one a lake verity white fish I caught last winter...  we do get suckers and  other fishes that we catch in the spring time and the fall  if that what your referring to? the sucker run up river with the steel head and salmon fall and spring... you can take a walk on Ludington's pier on a calm day there in the rocks off the break wall light house pier...  that close to shore seen them eating algea off the pier around 15 years ago when we use to go up there "suckers were"....if you want white fish lake mich there harder to target in the summer but I am sure it can be done...the one I caught were eating emerald shiner's on a hook hidden in them shiner..  see pic for the white fish I caught on the st clair river below..  that's probably why your are catching them in the winter in green bay cold water liking fish... next closest place I know if for fishing for them is st clair river that's close?  

http://s1382.photobucket.com/user/rhino1357/media/20160103_044343_zpsl2luhdkb.jpg.html

wallin:
Thanks, yea we fished for them thru the ice on Green Bay, 70-80ft deep with ice rods. What a blast and a good tasting fish.
We love to Perch fish Lake Mich. and we get white fish off the piers here in Indiana in the winter. I was hoping to find a place with the cold
deep water where there at and didn't have to go out to far. It would be a blast to use a perch drop shot rig on them in the summer. 100 ft deep is where they say there at this time of year in Lake Mich. I'll find someone one of these days that fish's for them lol.
Thanks and Fish On
netminder34:
I have not fished them much but do know a few people that fish Whitefish in Northern Michigan.  Was up there a few weeks agao and did some fishing in Grand Travers Bay jigging for Lakers, Cisco, and Whitefish.  Also know there are Cisco and Whitefish in Higgins lake.  About 4-4 1/2 hrs from MC area.  Not 100% sure the difference between Whitefish and Cisco is but the we caught Cisco and they sure looked a lot like Whitefish to me but really the first time I have ever targeted them.  Pretty good time and not really that far off shore to 60-100fow.  Hope this is helpful.
wallin:
Thanks for the info, they Great. We had a ball catching them thru the ice on Green Bay.
And they eat good too, lol
Thanks
Tom
Navigation
Message Index

Go to full version