FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: monster bluegill  (Read 3106 times)

indianahooker

monster bluegill
« on: Jun 14, 2016, 06:10 AM »
2 years ago, it seemed people were posting pics of nice gills(8"+), all the time.  i was catching them too.  they seemed to be in several lakes i tried also.   now those same lakes are giving up 6-7"fish.  the pics and reports have all but vanished.  im just getting started on gilling this summer, but its starting out like last years season.  lots of 6-7" fish.  very few nice ones.  how many of you are catching big vs small gills or have noticed a difference, either way?  maybe i just need to change locations?

not asking, and please dont post lake names.

tater140

Re: monster bluegill
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2016, 06:38 AM »
I have been targeting walleye this spring.  I we t crappie fishing a couple of times also.  Usually mid summer i will start night fishing for gills, and have tupically been able to find some nice sized ones.

staubsaugen

« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2016, 08:39 AM »
my main bluegill lake was still full of 8+inch gills.  i'm hoping to get back there again soon to catch some more for the freezer!

bigr

« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2016, 09:06 AM »
Spawn is still going on and fishing is good for size on Caldwell. Lake has never been this clear this time of year so you can see all the beds all around lake, doesn't makes them any easier to catch.They are deep and they see you sooner than you see them so I don't target beds cause it doesn't add much to the catch. Lot's of 9 1/2 to 11 in fish and it's just getting good now.

rivereddy

« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2016, 12:43 PM »
I have also noticed the reduction in reports on mongo sized gills.  I have noticed as well, that
the natural lakes in the northern part of the state seem to put out, on average, bigger gills than
the manmade lakes here in Central and Southern Indiana.  (Middle aged strip pits seem to be the
southern exception.) I marvel at reports here and on ice shanty about hauls of 10 inch bluegills.
Around these parts a nine inch fish is a chunk.  

I don't want to start a ruckus but we release all big gills or redears.  Genetics plays a
large role in size and we want to keep fish with good genes for size in the reproductive pool.
For us, "eater sized" or "keepers" are from 6.5 to 8 ".  Unless we have committed to feed
family or others, we keep no more than 5 fish an outing.  That's plenty for the two
of us. The reason for this is not a noble one.  I just hate finding a bag of "aged" fillets
from the back of the freezer. If were not meat fishing, we release them.

My wife put the hoist on a measured 12.5 " redear while fishing in Barkley Lake KY last
April. She now holds the first and second largest redears in the family. Between us we have
5 redears or gills between 12 and 12.5 inches (I've got her 3-2) - 3 from KY and two from
Indiana.  Every one was released. That's also with a combined 90+ years of fishing experience
between us.  I've seen some real bruisers come out the LBL region.  One guy had one that looked
like a hubcap from an old F150.  Look up Lake Havasu redears and prepare to get your minds messed up....

fish on, and on

Rivereddy

indianahooker

« Reply #5 on: Jun 20, 2016, 06:38 AM »
Spawn is still going on and fishing is good for size on Caldwell. Lake has never been this clear this time of year so you can see all the beds all around lake, doesn't makes them any easier to catch.They are deep and they see you sooner than you see them so I don't target beds cause it doesn't add much to the catch. Lot's of 9 1/2 to 11 in fish and it's just getting good now.

are you talking about the tiny weed chocked swamp, caldwell lake, over past warsaw?  if so thats more like a pond than a lake. lol

indianahooker

« Reply #6 on: Jun 20, 2016, 06:41 AM »
I have also noticed the reduction in reports on mongo sized gills.  I have noticed as well, that
the natural lakes in the northern part of the state seem to put out, on average, bigger gills than
the manmade lakes here in Central and Southern Indiana.  (Middle aged strip pits seem to be the
southern exception.) I marvel at reports here and on ice shanty about hauls of 10 inch bluegills.
Around these parts a nine inch fish is a chunk.  

I don't want to start a ruckus but we release all big gills or redears.  Genetics plays a
large role in size and we want to keep fish with good genes for size in the reproductive pool.
For us, "eater sized" or "keepers" are from 6.5 to 8 ".  Unless we have committed to feed
family or others, we keep no more than 5 fish an outing.  That's plenty for the two
of us. The reason for this is not a noble one.  I just hate finding a bag of "aged" fillets
from the back of the freezer. If were not meat fishing, we release them.

My wife put the hoist on a measured 12.5 " redear while fishing in Barkley Lake KY last
April. She now holds the first and second largest redears in the family. Between us we have
5 redears or gills between 12 and 12.5 inches (I've got her 3-2) - 3 from KY and two from
Indiana.  Every one was released. That's also with a combined 90+ years of fishing experience
between us.  I've seen some real bruisers come out the LBL region.  One guy had one that looked
like a hubcap from an old F150.  Look up Lake Havasu redears and prepare to get your minds messed up....

fish on, and on

Rivereddy

releasing dont start a ruckus man.  its when you score big and others are sad because they cant do it.  thats when people get mad and whine. lol

sprkplug

« Reply #7 on: Jun 20, 2016, 10:56 AM »
Never hurts to release those big male bluegills. Usually enough smaller class fish to keep for a meal.

bigr

« Reply #8 on: Jun 20, 2016, 11:29 AM »
Caldwell I'm referring to is south of Warsaw about 10-12 miles. Mostly pads around edges.

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Jun 20, 2016, 02:10 PM »
Never hurts to release those big male bluegills. Usually enough smaller class fish to keep for a meal.

Agreed Tony.

Get any new record breakers lately?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Jun 20, 2016, 02:12 PM »
Biggest bluegills I've caught in a public lake were out of Clear Lake east of Fremont. About 2 feet off the bottom in 25 feet of water with baby crawlers. They hit so hard they not only inhale the crawler they make the slip bobber make smacking sound. Only problem was it had to be at first light and about 9 A.M. a guy would come out with his big boat and strafed me. Then it was all over. I guess he owned the lake.

Caught my biggest rainbow at the same depth in the same spot. About 7 lbs. but packed with kernel corn. I was not chumming with corn.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

sprkplug

« Reply #11 on: Jun 20, 2016, 05:09 PM »
No new records, Cecil....still holding around a pound and 14 ozs. Feel optimistic that a two pounder is in my future, but time will tell!

Good to hear from you, miss your input.....

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Jun 21, 2016, 01:10 AM »
No new records, Cecil....still holding around a pound and 14 ozs. Feel optimistic that a two pounder is in my future, but time will tell!

Good to hear from you, miss your input.....

Wow 1 lb. 14 oz. is pretty impressive though. As you may know my best out of the pond is only 1 lb. 8 1/2 oz.

Thanks for the kind words Tony. Just don't have any interest in the website anymore after the way I was treated for the actions of another person. Hey maybe Dwight can dazzle the site with his cat pictures and cleaning out his garage.  ;D

hounds

• If it were easy !!! Everyone would do it!
« Reply #13 on: Jun 28, 2016, 02:57 PM »
A Few years ago I had access to a small lake that had large gills in it.  Posted pics from there often, 10 inch Redears were common, but we have since lost access to it, and have yet to find a lake as good.   >:(

stinkybaits

« Reply #14 on: Jun 28, 2016, 03:54 PM »
releasing dont start a ruckus man.  its when you score big and others are sad because they cant do it.  thats when people get mad and whine. lol

I just got tired of cleaning fish plus fried foods went to my gut and just can't eat much anymore. I've tried baked and their ok but not the same as slathered in grease but I still love catching them on ultralights and fly rods.  Been playing with a zero weight fly rod blank made into a spinning setup. 7ft and a 5ft. So far they holding up great and are.a blast. Need to be careful on lifting the fish out I just use a small net. Personally I don't care if someone catches hundreds as long as they goto good use. I prefer the 7s to 8s for eating gills 8s to 10a on crappie. I throw all reday ears back now since they eat zebra muscles. I find myself fishing less now that I live at the lake. I used to give my uncle nuts about not fishing much living lake front and now I'm doing same thing. Trophy fish are around id suggest try different lakes if your not finding big fish. In Steuben County theres over 100 lakes not all public but there's a ton of choices. I know some of you are limited without driving a couple hours north. Alot of lakes cycle and theres gems that always have pigs. Good luck everyone!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.