FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Harvesting turtles ?  (Read 8487 times)

myemmy

Harvesting turtles ?
« on: Jun 15, 2016, 03:16 PM »
What's the best way to legally harvest turtles for consumption ???

perchgypsy

Re: Harvesting turtles ?
« Reply #2 on: Jun 15, 2016, 05:18 PM »
My grandfather would pull over and grab them when we were leaving oneida lake sometimes we would see them on the side of the road on the north shore,he had a sharp hatchet back home
use a broom handle ,let them bite down on the handle and off with the head,his brother,my great uncle would make a soup out of them
I don't remember much more than that other than I would keep the shells and paint them as a kid
I wouldn't do this now but will never forget them days

dirtydeeds

• neckties..contracts...high voltage!
« Reply #3 on: Jun 15, 2016, 05:31 PM »
A cheap way is to trot line em with empty milk jugs.  Use steel leaders with ground hog meat. Ya can use dead fish or whatever you think they'll eat but your bait will get robbed. Only Snappers like ground hog meat. Use small trebles, long leaders and check your line often. Or buy/make a trap, good luck.
done dirt cheap!

CAPTJJ

« Reply #4 on: Jun 15, 2016, 06:17 PM »
From DEC website:

Turtles

The only turtle species for which there is an open hunting season are the snapping turtle and the diamondback terrapin. You may not harvest, take, or possess any other turtle species at any time.

Snapping Turtle
•A hunting license is required to take snapping turtles. The only legal implement for taking snapping turtles is a firearm or a bow.

•If you choose to eat snapping turtles, you should carefully trim all fat and discard fat, liver, and eggs prior to cooking to reduce exposure to contaminants. For information on this health advisory, call 1-800-458-1158 or visit the New York State Department of Health website in the right column.

Open Season: July 15 through September 30

Open Area: Statewide

Size Limit: The upper shell (carapace) must measure 12 inches or longer in a straight line.

Daily Bag: 5

Season Bag: 30

Hunting Hours: Any time of the day or night.

Link: http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31339.html

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #6 on: Jun 15, 2016, 06:56 PM »
Can't imagine eating something that's been living in our polluted waters for 40 or 50 years.

I'll pass!

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 15, 2016, 07:34 PM »
actually some  turtles can live to be 100 years old ..... I think you can still use a  turtle trap ...funnel of chicken wire with  bait  tied in ....we use to look at night with a gas lantern in back washes and grab them by the tail................not sure if that's legal anymore lol
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

perchgypsy

« Reply #8 on: Jun 15, 2016, 08:49 PM »
 :sick: that much messing around for dinasour meat...lol
guessing my gramps and uncle growing up during the depression might have something to do with it...lol
We would have peanut butter and pickle sandwiches on the boat  :sick:
also we could have 4 different kinds of cereals in the morning and he insisted on saltine crackers with milk...
guess turtle might be a delicacy 😲

jager61

• FB Page: NY Reservoir Trout
« Reply #9 on: Jun 15, 2016, 10:37 PM »
That's really gross! You've got to be pretty desperate to be eating turtle IMO!  :P

MK

boondox

« Reply #10 on: Jun 15, 2016, 11:28 PM »
why would you be desperate to eat turtle? would you be desperate to eat fish or deer then too? 

if your after he diamond back terrapin try jannsnetcraft.com for live catch turtle traps but if after snappers I guess a bow or gun is the only way to do it and you need a hunting license for each according to this.. there is size limit for each so know what you got so you don't get in trouble...

Home » Outdoor Activities » Hunting » Small Game Hunting » Small Game Seasons » Reptile and Amphibian Hunting Seasons

Reptile and Amphibian Hunting Seasons

Frogs

"Frogs" are defined as eastern spadefoot toad, eastern American toad, Fowler's toad, northern cricket frog, northern gray treefrog, northern spring peeper, western chorus frog, bullfrog, green frog, mink frog, wood frog, northern leopard frog, southern leopard frog, and pickerel frog.

A fishing or hunting license is required to take frogs with a spear, club, hook, or by hand. A hunting license is required to take frogs with a gun or bow.

Open Season: June 15 through September 30

Open Area: All wildlife management units except that: (1) leopard frogs shall not be taken in wildlife management units 1A, 1C, or 2A; and (2) northern cricket frogs and eastern spadefoot toads shall not be taken in any area of the state.

Size Limit: None

Daily Bag: None

Season Bag: None

Hunting Hours: Any time of the day or night, except that no person shall use a gun to take frogs when hunting at night (sunset to sunrise).

Turtles

The only turtle species for which there is an open hunting season are the snapping turtle and the diamondback terrapin. You may not harvest, take, or possess any other turtle species at any time.

Snapping Turtle
•A hunting license is required to take snapping turtles. The only legal implement for taking snapping turtles is a firearm or a bow. Snapping turtle carapace measurement
•If you choose to eat snapping turtles, you should carefully trim all fat and discard fat, liver, and eggs prior to cooking to reduce exposure to contaminants. For information on this health advisory, call 1-800-458-1158 or visit the New York State Department of Health website in the right column.

Open Season: July 15 through September 30

Open Area: Statewide

Size Limit: The upper shell (carapace) must measure 12 inches or longer in a straight line.

Daily Bag: 5

Season Bag: 30

Diamondback Terrapin
•A valid diamondback terrapin license is required to take diamondback terrapin. Follow the directions on the Application and License web page to submit your form.
•Diamondback terrapin may only be taken using dip nets, hand capture, seine nets, and traps. The traps must be capable of capturing diamondback terrapin alive, and the trap must be marked with a tag bearing the name and address of the licensee and must be checked daily.
•Possession of a diamondback terrapin on the waters or shores of New York State during the closed season is prohibited. Diamondback terrapin legally taken during the open season may be sold throughout the year only if they were killed and processed for consumption prior to May 5.

Open Season: August 1 through April 30

Open Area: All of Long Island, New York City, and the lower Hudson River north to the Tappan Zee Bridge.

Size Limit: The upper shell (carapace) must measure at least 4 inches, but may not be greater than 7 inches in length.

Daily Bag: None

Season Bag: None

Snakes, Lizards, and Salamanders

You may not harvest, take, or possess any native snakes, lizards, or salamanders at any time.

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jun 16, 2016, 05:42 AM »
turtle isn't bad , ate gator in FL and that was good  and snake in OK that was good too ....a lot is your mind set ....
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

joefish1

« Reply #12 on: Jun 16, 2016, 06:19 AM »
Snapping turtles,  If you freeze the meat after cleaning it tenderizes it and is a lot better, also deep frying is also good

myemmy

« Reply #13 on: Jun 16, 2016, 05:55 PM »
Very good info just hope to try some turtle with a few buddies its on my bucket list, I understand about some waters such as the Hudson River rather get one at Saratoga or sacandaga lake,we'll keep the info coming thanks!

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #14 on: Jun 16, 2016, 06:01 PM »
Every once in a while my uncle will save some turtle stew for me, he gets a few every year from a nearby adirondack pond, and they are tasty the way he does them.  He's got a nice collection of shells to go with his deer antlers on his garage.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.