FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Harvesting turtles ?  (Read 8488 times)

JerryofWNY

• Get involved with your local club!
Re: Harvesting turtles ?
« Reply #15 on: Jun 17, 2016, 06:58 AM »
I relocated a snapper (turtle) from the road in front of my house to a small (really small) stream in the woods a couple weeks ago. Put it in a crate in the back of my pickup with and enclosed bed. The bed stunk for days. Absolutely putrid. But hey, some people like Limburger.
"Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be."....Abe Lincoln

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #16 on: Jun 17, 2016, 07:14 AM »
I  carry them out  of the  road all the  time , mud turtles too but I think  you can get in trouble  if you threw them in the back of your  truck that's considered possession and they are  out of season right now ....sure a  game warden would  understand  tho
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

JerryofWNY

• Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #17 on: Jun 17, 2016, 08:52 AM »
I  carry them out  of the  road all the  time , mud turtles too but I think  you can get in trouble  if you threw them in the back of your  truck that's considered possession and they are  out of season right now ....sure a  game warden would  understand  tho

I know I took a chance. With a couple nosey pups, I wasn't about to let him wander on to my property and take up residence in my fish pond. I thought it worth the 1/4 mile ride. If you're sure the gamey would understand, you have more faith in them than I. The boys in green around here would write up their grandmother for doing such a thing. But hey, They've got a job to do and better they do it well than working it the other way.
"Most folks are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be."....Abe Lincoln

skinny40

« Reply #18 on: Jun 17, 2016, 08:05 PM »
I have the right to remove any nuisance animal from my residence if they pose a threat to me, my family, or any of my property. Unless the animal is federally protected or a big game animal. That requires a permit. But if there is an open season on it in NY. And it is a threat, I have the right to remove it to another spot in MY property or kill it if needed. That includes skunks in my garbage or coyotes eating chickens or snapping turtles near my pups for that matter. But I can't sell the fur or meat. Burry it or move it live.

trapper2000

« Reply #19 on: Jun 17, 2016, 09:03 PM »
I have the right to remove any nuisance animal from my residence if they pose a threat to me, my family, or any of my property. Unless the animal is federally protected or a big game animal. That requires a permit. But if there is an open season on it in NY. And it is a threat, I have the right to remove it to another spot in MY property or kill it if needed. That includes skunks in my garbage or coyotes eating chickens or snapping turtles near my pups for that matter. But I can't sell the fur or meat. Burry it or move it live.

I don't think you have all those  rights .... you have  a rieght to protect yourself  or  someone  from harm as far as the  rest you have  a right to  call a  dec officer .....  now  in common sense terms  if a  snapper  is  in my yard I pick him up by  the  tail and  toss him in the  weeds .....like I said jerry  did the  right thing  and only ment  good ...just he  could have  been possiably ticketed ... you have  a  right to put a  lid on your garbage  can ...you have  the  right to put your chickens  in a  coop you have a  right to call a nuisance trapper  these I know  the  rest I suggest you call the  DEC and  check

skinny40

« Reply #20 on: Jun 18, 2016, 10:30 AM »
http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/81531.html   this is the actual law. So if just a nuisance many need a permit. But doing damage....still up for debate what "damage" is, so don't get crazy.  A snapper just crawling threw my lawn is doing damage to my lawn. Not what I call a serious enough offense to warrent death, but at the end of the day it is damage. Just not worth paying lawer fees over it. I don't kill anything I don't feel a need to. Some people kill every snake they see. That drives me nuts. Want to just force them to eat it. But if you absolutely need to do so someday. Use the three S's.......shoot, shovel, shut up!

trapper2000

« Reply #21 on: Jun 18, 2016, 11:40 AM »
skinny I suggest you actually read what the  DEC says  in the  very link you but up

Turtles No DEC permit needed DEC permit needed Contact a local DEC Wildlife Office

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/81531.html

if it is a game animal you need a permit some exceptions for bears and skunks

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #22 on: Jun 18, 2016, 06:31 PM »
Geez....I could be arrested and jailed for relocating the chipmonks in my garden I guess. I've taken 4 of the little buggers down the road to the park in the last 2 days.

Speaking of turtles, I was fly fishing from the boat on the canal this morning when a snapper surfaced about 3 feet from the boat. He wasn't huge, maybe 20" across. But, I moved on.

First one I've seen in the canal. I've seen several big ones in my backyard stream. Last year I came across 3 that had been shot and left in the stream. It was a section I don't often fish.
Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

fishfetcher

« Reply #23 on: Jun 18, 2016, 06:39 PM »
what a waste of good turtle meat.   i dont like broccoli, but love turtle.  my chipmonks get recycled as crow food.  they love them

boondox

« Reply #24 on: Jun 18, 2016, 06:40 PM »
Geez....I could be arrested and jailed for relocating the chipmonks in my garden I guess. I've taken 4 of the little buggers down the road to the park in the last 2 days.

Rg

start drowning them get a 5 gallon bucket and a board they can walk on up to it fill the bucket half way full of water take and cover the surface of water with sunflower seeds .. put a few on the board leading up to the water and let them dive in them self's seriously it works! you don't ant them getting in to the insulation and chewing on wires around the exterior of the house...  

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #25 on: Jun 18, 2016, 07:42 PM »
You crack me up Boon.  ;D

All they're doing.....all they're ever gonna do ....is burrow around in my garden plots. Could I kill them? Sure I could. But, I don't have to. I'll take them down the road to the park.

I live in a residential neighborhood and my Bride is much happier if I trap them and release them. I don't mind them really. Just don't want them digging around my gardens.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

perchgypsy

« Reply #26 on: Jun 18, 2016, 07:50 PM »
Wheel of death,best rodant trap ever
5 gallon bucket filled 1/4 with water
1 small coffee can with lid
one small coat hanger or tie wire
drill holes in each end of coffee can put cut coat hanger through drill hole on opposite sides of bucket about 3/4 of the way up
put a spread of peanut butter on can
as they jump on the can it acts as a wheel ,sorry if this doesn't sound right but if you have a mouse problem at camp or home this will eliminate the problem very quickly,same with chipmunks ,yeah they are alive yeah they m ight be cute to some but with desease and problem boon pointed out they are no good for a camp or house at all,relocating them might help but I don't think you solved the problem
as far as three dead turtles what a shame,I had a pond I could hike to as a kid,just shy of 2 miles through a couple farmers fields behind my grandfather's 100 acre farm,fished it for yrs,one day got yelled at for being there,was told there was a party there and they killed a few turtles and nobody was to return there again,one of my favorite spots as I grew up,shame to kill/harvest and not consume
but a rodant,never felt bad there,their feces and urine can contain disease that can become airbourne and infect humans ,can cause you to get very Ill and sometimes death

trapper2000

« Reply #27 on: Jun 18, 2016, 09:40 PM »
I had a chipmonk steal a peanut right out of my had ...I was in fear for my life

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #28 on: Jun 19, 2016, 03:06 AM »

Handle with care ;D

Sorry for side tracking your turtle thread :-\

Rg

trapper2000

« Reply #29 on: Jun 19, 2016, 08:29 AM »
that's the one RG!!!!!!  :rotflol:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.