FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Harvesting turtles ?  (Read 8489 times)

filetandrelease

Re: Harvesting turtles ?
« Reply #30 on: Jun 19, 2016, 12:58 PM »

Cool pic RG , lol

UglyStik

« Reply #31 on: Jun 22, 2016, 01:59 PM »
from Syracuse.com\outdoors section today

" Frogs and turtles – Cayuga County

On the night of June 4, an ECO caught a man with eight dead bullfrogs and three live painted turtles at the Port Byron DEC boat launch. The man said his son wanted to keep the turtles as pets. The ECO ticketed the man for taking frogs out of season and issued him a warning notice for taking the protected turtles. Frog season didn't open until June 15 and painted turtles are protected. The frogs were taken as evidence and the three turtles were returned to the Seneca River."

So, I guess it is enforced. Looks like he cut him a break on the turtles, they are protected.

Mac Attack

« Reply #32 on: Jun 22, 2016, 02:29 PM »

"The frogs were taken as evidence....."

...................and tasted delicious.

:D

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #33 on: Jun 23, 2016, 12:38 AM »
I watched a friend clean a Snapping turtle after he dispatched it and bled it out. Seemed like a lot of work for the amount of meat he got. I'd just as soon leave them be and let them clean the stream/lake/pond bottom.

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #34 on: Jun 23, 2016, 04:07 AM »
I watched a friend clean a Snapping turtle after he dispatched it and bled it out. Seemed like a lot of work for the amount of meat he got. I'd just as soon leave them be and let them clean the stream/lake/pond bottom.

WK

I'm with you bud!
It can't possibly taste good enough to go through that for so little meat. Think I'd rather eat crappies or perch.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #35 on: Jun 23, 2016, 09:47 AM »
Rg,

I did get to sample it later, he made a tomato based soup kinda like Manhattan chowder with the meat and it was very good. And no, it didn't taste like chicken!  ;D   I would say the one he cleaned was probably in the neighborhood of 20lbs. live and he might have had 2-1/2 to 3lbs. of meat when he was finished.

WK

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #36 on: Jun 23, 2016, 12:27 PM »
Unless you had eaten it as a kid, usually out of necessity, you might turn your nose up at :rural foods" like turtle, possum, raccoon, squirrel or hare.
Weird that people are so much more comfortable eating meats that are LEGALLY loaded with drugs and chemicals, yet get squeamish when you mention anything that is "wild" caught, killed , cleaned and cooked?

That's like saying you won't eat catfish because they are a bottom feeder, eating garbage, but will order tilapia at a restaurant (when they are truly the garbage eaters)!!!

a couple of things I have learned over the years: My taste have changed, and I am an "adventure eater" who will try different things at least once.

Think about it...who was the first person to eat raw shellfish and say "This is yummy!"?
Who saw a cow's udders and said "I wonder how that stuff tastes?"

Hey, in parts of Asia cats and dogs are considered food!

"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

taxid

« Reply #37 on: Jun 23, 2016, 01:08 PM »
With their penchant for carrying salmonella I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pool. Got really bad food poisoning once and never want to go through that again.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #38 on: Jun 23, 2016, 01:40 PM »
Unless you had eaten it as a kid, usually out of necessity, you might turn your nose up at :rural foods" like turtle, possum, raccoon, squirrel or hare.
Weird that people are so much more comfortable eating meats that are LEGALLY loaded with drugs and chemicals, yet get squeamish when you mention anything that is "wild" caught, killed , cleaned and cooked?

That's like saying you won't eat catfish because they are a bottom feeder, eating garbage, but will order tilapia at a restaurant (when they are truly the garbage eaters)!!!

a couple of things I have learned over the years: My taste have changed, and I am an "adventure eater" who will try different things at least once.

Think about it...who was the first person to eat raw shellfish and say "This is yummy!"?
Who saw a cow's udders and said "I wonder how that stuff tastes?"

Hey, in parts of Asia cats and dogs are considered food!

I've eaten most of the wild critters found in my neck of the woods... Raccoon, Woodchuck, Beaver, Muskrat along with all the other game animals most any of the rest of you eat. Never had Possum... couldn't quite bring myself to that. A friend who grew up in Kentucky told me he knew Ol' timers who would live trap a possum, hold them in a corn crib and feed them clean food for a month or so and then prepare them.

As for Tilapia, I won't touch the stuff! You owe it to yourselves to read the book "Four Fish" by author Paul Greenberg. It'll make you reconsider eating some of the so called "healthy" fish that's in our supermarkets.

And yes, in many Asian countries when someone says they're going to "Wok the dog" it doesn't mean they're going to take the pooch out for a stroll.  ;D

WK

boondox

« Reply #39 on: Jun 23, 2016, 03:52 PM »
any one up for some Thailand delicacy's???

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #40 on: Jun 23, 2016, 05:28 PM »
Hey... they eat wild Guinea Pigs in South America...but then again we eat Squirrel sooooo ???

WK

ecolt14527

« Reply #41 on: Jun 23, 2016, 06:01 PM »
My take on "snapper's" don't care for them even a little bit. Unsure why they put them on the protected list. My reason, they kill way to many young ducks. Two cases in point: first, after retirement I worked at a golf course and they had a pond along # 12 fairway. Hen wood duck brought 11 little puff balls to the pond. The pond was home to a very large snapper. One by one over a several week period the young woodies disappeared. Second case, we own over 100 acres and 63 acres is marsh. I have no less than 20 woodduck nesting boxes. Hen woodie came on the big marsh with 9 young. When that number got down to 4 I lowered the big marsh (water control box) and son and I shot 8 snappers. These turtles kill many young ducks !!
  Reason to be careful eating the meat is that snappers live so long that they accumulate much toxins !! This has been established by both the health dept. and DEC.
  JTP

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #42 on: Jun 23, 2016, 06:14 PM »
Well Tim.....I hardly ever turn my nose up at food. Maybe Lima beans or okra. Im happy with most any fish or game.

Danged if I'll munch on something that's been a bottom feeder in streams or lakes for the last 50 years. At 66 I'm old enough to remember swimming bans due to excessive e-coli counts. I remember rotting rafts of seaweed out 100 feet from shore at our cottage on Lake Ontario. Nope....ill pass on eating the bottom dwellers of the reptile kingdom.

And.....possum.......really.....you eat possum? Is that broiled, boiled or fricassee?

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #43 on: Jun 23, 2016, 06:16 PM »
Thanks Ecolt.
Rg

taxid

« Reply #44 on: Jun 23, 2016, 08:53 PM »

As for Tilapia, I won't touch the stuff! You owe it to yourselves to read the book "Four Fish" by author Paul Greenberg. It'll make you reconsider eating some of the so called "healthy" fish that's in our supermarkets.

I agree with the supermarket tilapia that come from third world countries. They don't have the restrictions on what they can put into the water we have here in the U.S. U.S. raised tilapia should be fine though. I raise them indoors and outdoors. They taste just fine.

I only ate supermarket tilapia once. It had a nasty off flavor. Mine do not.

On side not there is a law that supermarkets have to have the country of origin on the package. If they don't, ask them why they're breaking the law.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.