FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: swimbaits  (Read 6655 times)

lowaccord66

Re: swimbaits
« Reply #30 on: Jun 20, 2016, 11:20 AM »
I agree, that is a fine looking plug. Nice work on it. I'm guessing you spent some time creating that beauty. I think if I was to make another I would do some things a bit differently but who's to know on the first attempt:-)

I cant take too much credit, if I had my own lathe, press, paint booth ect, then I would.  When you have a friend with the right stuff and knowledge the learning curve is cut in half.  One of the guys that posts on Iceshanty taught him how to do it right!

Dumba the best thing about it is there is no right or wrong solution, your making something to your exacting needs.   One thing you may want to consider moving forward is the medium.   You'd be surprised how much of a difference it makes in action or in this case potential longevity.  I still have a few pencils that were milled from trex deck pieces!

stripernut

« Reply #31 on: Jun 20, 2016, 11:26 AM »
Wow, I just ask if he had used wire thru or not... I did not say it had to have it for LM bass fishing... I do happen to like wire thru for a number of reasons; 1, if I go to the trouble to make such a lure or the cost of buying one, I may just want to use it on stripers from time to time... 2, fighting a fish "wrong" is not the only way to pull a screwed in eye out. Especially with the longer lengths of these lures, they can become like a "pry bar" with the bass getting incredible leverage against the hooks/mounting screws despite, fighting a fish properly... These lure are built to catch trophies and with luck the fish of a lifetime, some of us want to give ourselves the best odds of landing that fish. Can it be done with screw in eyes, most likely, could a monster bass possible pull out a screw in eye, possible. So in the end it comes down to your comfort level about the possibilities of loosing the fish of a lifetime... There is the down side of wire thru, with its added weight, but all things are a trade off...
Dumbba, as we have all said; great lure you have made there! And I meant no put down with my question about wire thru and I am sorry if it came off that way... I look forward to fishing at night with you again soon!

dumbba

« Reply #32 on: Jun 20, 2016, 12:20 PM »
Wow, I just ask if he had used wire thru or not... I did not say it had to have it for LM bass fishing... I do happen to like wire thru for a number of reasons; 1, if I go to the trouble to make such a lure or the cost of buying one, I may just want to use it on stripers from time to time... 2, fighting a fish "wrong" is not the only way to pull a screwed in eye out. Especially with the longer lengths of these lures, they can become like a "pry bar" with the bass getting incredible leverage against the hooks/mounting screws despite, fighting a fish properly... These lure are built to catch trophies and with luck the fish of a lifetime, some of us want to give ourselves the best odds of landing that fish. Can it be done with screw in eyes, most likely, could a monster bass possible pull out a screw in eye, possible. So in the end it comes down to your comfort level about the possibilities of loosing the fish of a lifetime... There is the down side of wire thru, with its added weight, but all things are a trade off...
Dumbba, as we have all said; great lure you have made there! And I meant no put down with my question about wire thru and I am sorry if it came off that way... I look forward to fishing at night with you again soon!
Allan, it didn't come off that way.  I did not take the question as a put down, you did it wrong or any of the such. No worries. I made me think about trying something like that if I make another. I used pretty heavy stainless steel hardware and even a dab of JB Weld to try to prevent exactly what you were taking about. I used one of my favorite swimbaits as the model and just tried to do similar to that.
I'm sure there were things that I could have done better:-) Maybe in rev 2.

Eastciderida

« Reply #33 on: Jun 25, 2016, 07:39 AM »
Bought a whole bunch of swim baits bbz Jr's some glides hudds and a bunch of slammers. Just got an X2 slammer in the mail yesterday off eBay hit a spot at 9pm slammed a bass didn't scale it but estimate 4 and a half or bigger. Had to run back to the truck with the fish for some pliers got one of the hooks in the tail ended up having to cut the treble hook. Quick picture no time to scale it was out of the water for awhile swam away fine.

Eastciderida

« Reply #34 on: Jun 25, 2016, 07:40 AM »
Bought a whole bunch of swim baits bbz Jr's some glides hudds and a bunch of slammers. Just got an X2 slammer in the mail yesterday off eBay hit a spot at 9pm slammed a bass didn't scale it but estimate 4 and a half or bigger. Had to run back to the truck with the fish for some pliers got one of the hooks in the tail ended up having to cut the treble hook. Quick picture no time to scale it was out of water for awhile

dumbba

« Reply #35 on: Jun 25, 2016, 08:18 AM »
Welcome to the addiction:-) Slammers just plain catch fish!

lowaccord66

« Reply #36 on: Jun 25, 2016, 11:31 AM »
Nice bass!

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #37 on: Jun 25, 2016, 07:05 PM »
Some great looking plugs guys. craftsmanship at its best. I can do a lot of things but no way would be able to pull that off. I buy some great handmade ones from a guy in Rutland every year at the Town wide yard sales. He makes them in is garage. Also get the good hand made ones at Red Top. Never crap plugs off the racks at the big stores. Well worth the extra cash for the good ones.
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.