FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Kayak  (Read 3628 times)

izzy65

Kayak
« on: Jun 15, 2016, 09:38 PM »
taking the kayak to the slough for the first time in the morning, hope I catch some fish,  will report when I get back,
Satchmo

izzy65

Re: Kayak
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16, 2016, 12:03 AM »
Have every thing loaded , going to bed for a couple  hours. hope to be on the water 5 am, only  have a hour drive, .
Satchmo

dsqui

« Reply #2 on: Jun 16, 2016, 02:56 AM »
good luck

tater140

« Reply #3 on: Jun 16, 2016, 07:38 AM »
Let us know how you do.  I love Kayak fishing

izzy65

« Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2016, 02:16 PM »
Never made it, had truck problems
Satchmo

Jig_Head

« Reply #5 on: Jun 18, 2016, 12:46 AM »
I love Kayak fishing
Same here. I just bass fished outta mine Wednesday and bluegill fished out of it thursday

indianahooker

« Reply #6 on: Jun 20, 2016, 06:24 AM »
mite have to get me a kayak! lol

Jig_Head

« Reply #7 on: Jun 23, 2016, 07:06 AM »
mite have to get me a kayak! lol
you really should

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Jun 26, 2016, 03:04 PM »
Never made it, had truck problems

Been there done that.  ::)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Jun 26, 2016, 03:05 PM »
I should get into that. I have an isolated small lake near me that has an access site but it's not wide enough for a typical boat and trailer. It looks like no one ever fishes it.

What are we talking investment wise?

No boat registration or numbers required right?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

abishop

« Reply #10 on: Jun 26, 2016, 03:07 PM »
I think we all have been there and done that UNFORTUNATELY.

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Jun 26, 2016, 03:15 PM »
I think we all have been there and done that UNFORTUNATELY.

Coaxed my dad to go fishing with me and the boat trailer had a flat. Another time the outboard refused to start. He likes to bring it up.  ;D

Heck my cousin and I took a fellow taxidermist fishing and we didn't catch squat. Took him one more time - same thing. (Night fishing for trout on Oliver). My cousin says don't invite that SOB he's bad luck! I didn't and the next time we limited out.

It really had to do with cold fronts. For some reason even though the fish were about 23 foot down just after a front went through you couldn't buy a bite. However the best fishing was on the hottest muggiest nights where a front hadn't gone through for several days.

Boomer

« Reply #12 on: Jun 26, 2016, 05:46 PM »

If you fish state waters like Woster Lake at Potato Creek S.P. you will need a lake sticker. This is good for any state managed lake. Relatively cheep.

A kayak can be a cheap investment but may not be the best yak for fishing. If you could go somewhere and try one out it would be great. Figure $500 - $1000 for a decent kayak. Get one that is stable. Some come with rod holders and some don't. I think at least one or two rod holders are needed. One thing I would look for in a newer model kayak is a molded-in paddle holder. Just a place to place the paddle while casting. You will still need a paddle strap or holder. (A decent paddle will run you another $75 or so.)
Any additions can be whatever you like. My son has a depth sounder on his.

One BIG thing to get is a life jacket that gives you good under arm space. Trust me on this.

Don't think just small waters and rivers but we fish places like Monroe Res; Bass Lake; Summit Lake; Hardy Lake etc. with ours.

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Jun 26, 2016, 06:34 PM »
If you fish state waters like Woster Lake at Potato Creek S.P. you will need a lake sticker. This is good for any state managed lake. Relatively cheep.

A kayak can be a cheap investment but may not be the best yak for fishing. If you could go somewhere and try one out it would be great. Figure $500 - $1000 for a decent kayak. Get one that is stable. Some come with rod holders and some don't. I think at least one or two rod holders are needed. One thing I would look for in a newer model kayak is a molded-in paddle holder. Just a place to place the paddle while casting. You will still need a paddle strap or holder. (A decent paddle will run you another $75 or so.)
Any additions can be whatever you like. My son has a depth sounder on his.

One BIG thing to get is a life jacket that gives you good under arm space. Trust me on this.

Don't think just small waters and rivers but we fish places like Monroe Res; Bass Lake; Summit Lake; Hardy Lake etc. with ours.

Thanks Boomer! Much appreciated!

Jig_Head

« Reply #14 on: Jun 27, 2016, 02:53 AM »
I should get into that. I have an isolated small lake near me that has an access site but it's not wide enough for a typical boat and trailer. It looks like no one ever fishes it.

I just bought a new one back in March. I got the Ascend FS10 for $550 and love it. It's got 2 rod holders and a spot for a 3rd one where you can put in the removable kind u pop in and out of a boat. It has the molded in paddle holder boomer was talkin bout, which makes fishing way easier then the previous kayak I had. Also has a dry storage area for phones, keys, license, etc. And a tie off thing on each side for tying up to a dock, dropping an anchor, or a fish basket/stringer. No numbers or registration required. I never wear a life jacket but I occasionally bring one when I hit lake michigan. Kayaks are way more stable then they look. I kayak fish Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri 2 or 3 times a year (biggest man made lake in North America) and lake michigan 10 or so times a year

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.