FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: looking at kayaks and jon boats  (Read 3361 times)

boondox

looking at kayaks and jon boats
« on: Jun 16, 2016, 11:22 PM »
what would you rather a kayak or a 15 foot jon boat the tracker topper 1542 lw is the jon boat I am looking at for $1,099 plus freight at bass pro.... the nucanoe Frontier 12 for $1,159 at kayak corral here in Michigan  is the kayak I am looking at  any thoughts or other options on these?

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
Re: looking at kayaks and jon boats
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2016, 02:26 PM »
I would want a kayak, but that's easy for me to say because I have a bigger boat with gas and electric motors. The beauty of a kayak is being able to paddle it, and the beauty of that is not needing a trolling motor or a battery or a gas motor or a gas tank. You can certainly paddle a jon boat but not like a kayak, so most people will want a trolling motor at a minimum. A kayak is the perfect, "I've only got an hour after work on the way home to fish" vessel because it's a 3 minute deal to get going fishing. No hooking up a battery and trolling motor.

perchgypsy

« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2016, 03:08 PM »
Well boondox ,do you often fish alone or with a buddy?that would answer it for my self
beauty of a kayak is you can put it in just about anywhere and be fishing in no time and places others can't get to
I love my kayak but I fish solo more than not
Jon boat you have more options and room which has its advantages..either way you go im sure you wI'll wish you had the other at time lol

ericbres

« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2016, 03:25 PM »
I'll repeat the question above ... do you fish alone or with a buddy?
I have both, a little plastic 2 seater jon boat and a kayak. The kayak hasn't left my rafters in my garage short of the one time I took it duck hunting alone two years ago to scout out a new spot. Where as my jon boat gets use at least once per week. Either with me and my fiance or with me and either of my boys.

However, that said, the jon boat is just on the verge of being a bit too heavy for me to be able to manage on my own. So I'm not sure if I'd be able to get it in and out of the back of the truck if I didn't have a 2nd set of hands with me. Something to consider for sure.

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #4 on: Jun 17, 2016, 03:44 PM »
I've had both and I say kayak.
Jon boats are heavier than kayaks, they require more gear to operate (if you talk motors) and they are harder to transport.
Kayaks are lighter (plastic vs. metal) you can carry all the basic gear in one trip (after unloading the kayak) and are easier to transport.

I used to load the jon boat in the back of my truck, tie it down, put whatever gear I needed in the bed of the truck or in the boat, and go.
I do the same with the kayak, but it takes a fraction of the time to load and unload it.

One thing that will hold true for both, is that they will be able to access shallow waters more easily than other boats.
The places I fish have a number of coves off of the main river, and these coves are filled with roughly 30-40 feet of weeds.
Any motor boat that is foolhardy enough to try to access these waters will ALWAYS get bogged down in the weeds and have to retreat.
Not me, I just paddle over the weeds to the "promised land" of trophy bass and pickerel!

Hopefully whatever choice you make is good for you, and you are happy with that choice!

Good luck!
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

• I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 20, 2016, 11:22 AM »
i don't like the seat or how high it is on the nucanoe frontier. this will make you use an extra long paddle. also, it only has two scupper holes and they are behind the occupant which tells me it sits low in the back and high in the front, just by looking at a picture of it. both of those would make it tipsy and maybe track poorly. think "center of gravity" here.
the sharp bends in the back rest must be made for non human backs. maybe a 30 degree bend or so. this sharp bend is in the low back, so no mid to upper back support.

the two boats will differ how you fish them. example, if you troll fish in a yak you'll be paddling the whole time where as in a jon boat with a troller you won't have a paddle except for emergencies.
you can add a troller to a kayak tho and if that's what you want to try, then you have to look closer at the boat(s) you want to add a motor to and have to register it (at least in michigan). i already made a mount for one of my three kayaks, but don't need to use it and i have an older minn kotta til steer/transom mount to use on one. i don't have the need to use it and they do make wind sails for kayaks if on larger waters and want some free travel and doesn't require you to register it. the reason i made the kayak mount is because every thing is already here, so why not make it. at least now i have that option with it.

for me, anchoring is more important than getting the boat around in the water, so i use double anchor trolley's so i can stay on the fish i find while casting towards shore. being i fish this way, electronics are not needed either. being able to go down a river and walk my boat around dams and load 3 or more is important and being able to go where motor boats don't launch is the most important. getting in only several inches of water and backing up to shore while picking off fish in cat tails is a blast. you can't do that with a prop. i can one handle paddle/adjust while fishing with the other hand and they make short handle single paddles.

so some things to consider before you decide whats right for you. time changes that also. i used to prefer my aluminum modified bottom pro weld boat with the out board and troller motor over my canoe. i haven't used that boat in 4 years now and is in my way.
you prefer peer fishing right now, but you know you need to find the fish and not wait for fish to find you on shore.

maybe look closer at your choices in kayaks like this boat NATIVE WATERCRAFT SLAYER 14.5 ULTIMATE FISHING KAYAK. if you can find a place to drive to that has the boats you want so you can test drive them first. if it's your first, then you'll over look some things you didn't think of initially. at the very least, look on you tube. just run some searches on boats that handle your weight and claim to be the best for fishing like a hobie kayak. it sounds like you have a 1200$ cap, but maybe reconsider that cap or find a deal after you find your boat you know you want.

this boat supports 600#. nice boat too.
http://nativewatercraft.com/product/ultimate-fx-15-solo-2/
https://www.youtube.com/user/NWCpaddler

another one that supports 600# and the brand i use now.
https://www.amazon.com/Ocean-Kayak-Prowler-Angler-Fishing/dp/B01CK81USU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_468_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41-a1ATjUBL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=YM90F9YC6SHMX2E0B19V

there are lots of mods for kayaks.

boondox

« Reply #6 on: Jun 20, 2016, 04:39 PM »
I was looking at the native water craft and a old town sanarac 14 foot 6 inch  there in the same weight, length, etc range.. as you can  see why I am having a hard time finding a good boat in fact the sanarac gives a extra 150 pound capacity..  the bigger the boat native water craft makes the weight is the same as a canoe and the weight capacity is less then the canoes.. and the old town is about 1/2 the price...but I want to thank you for dashing the idea of the frontier 12  boat cause I was thinking the same thing too high of seat bad paddler etc etc  I can solo paddle a canoe... but I really want a kayak like the portability of a 10 footer with the capacity of a 20 footer... that the problem I am having it is not a done deal yet but still in the looking process and I think I am not going to find what I want is my problem? I got a canoe it is a 16 footer pain in the arse to trans port but does its job when needed...that why I was looking at the old town sanarac 14floot 6 inch it was shorter then ours and weight less and has a good capacity... is there a better option out there?       

Knot there yet

« Reply #7 on: Jun 21, 2016, 06:28 AM »
Hobie outback 12' twice as much. But worth it 10x. Buy a cheap kayak for buddy who go with you. Job lots $299 let say. If you spend $1,000 and don't get a drive system your getting robbed. I've know guys sell there 24' boat after a trip in out back. Go and take out a demo. You'll be the one getting hooked. Like real estate three rules Hobie ,hobie&hobie.

Fish Farmer

« Reply #8 on: Jun 25, 2016, 12:01 PM »
I can solo paddle a canoe... but I really want a kayak like the portability of a 10 footer with the capacity of a 20 footer... that the problem I am having it is not a done deal yet but still in the looking process and I think I am not going to find what I want is my problem? I got a canoe it is a 16 footer pain in the arse to trans port but does its job when needed...that why I was looking at the old town sanarac 14floot 6 inch it was shorter then ours and weight less and has a good capacity... is there a better option out there?       

I think you answered you question on getting a kayak. I have a heavy 14' canoe which is really hard to toss on top of my van, but it is much like a jon boat to me, I can stand up in it and flyfish. It is perfect for two people as well. I've been considering trailering the canoe and adding an electric motor, drain plug, etc. to make it more boat like, but that comes with more registration costs.

I'm looking at a kayak eventually, just for weedy backwater fishing, nearshore ocean fishing, and hike in fishing opportunities.

boondox

« Reply #9 on: Jun 25, 2016, 01:45 PM »
Hobie outback 12' twice as much. But worth it 10x. Buy a cheap kayak for buddy who go with you. Job lots $299 let say. If you spend $1,000 and don't get a drive system your getting robbed. I've know guys sell there 24' boat after a trip in out back. Go and take out a demo. You'll be the one getting hooked. Like real estate three rules Hobie ,hobie&hobie.

why me? just fell in love with the Mirage Pro Angler 17T .. perfect for me fills in all my concerns about back water fishing in salt if I get one and has a 900 lbs capacity.. but here's the kicker $5399.99 is the price tag might be a while till I get one...  but for sure am interested and hay the biggest they had a few years ago was a 12 footer with a 350 lb weight capacity.. now I am in love with a hobie lol's

lowaccord66

« Reply #10 on: Jun 27, 2016, 05:53 AM »

why me? just fell in love with the Mirage Pro Angler 17T .. perfect for me fills in all my concerns about back water fishing in salt if I get one and has a 900 lbs capacity.. but here's the kicker $5399.99 is the price tag might be a while till I get one...  but for sure am interested and hay the biggest they had a few years ago was a 12 footer with a 350 lb weight capacity.. now I am in love with a hobie lol's

I bought my boat for almost the same coin as that hobie!  19'6 alumacraft with a 140.  I fished a mirage earlier this year, they are nice.  I've fished from a nucanue before, also nice but heavy.  End of the day I prefer being able to go 40.

Knot there yet

« Reply #11 on: Jun 28, 2016, 02:53 PM »
Proangler 17' is a tank you'll get killed if it come down on you. Now you need trailer too. Price way up there now. The outfitter tandem at Little Harbor boat house in Marblehead has a demo for $2200 14'. And can be use by single or double anglers. Oasis is too narrow for fishing. You'll never lift the pro angler by yourself.
 Jon I have Lund that goes over 55mph & I want a Hobie. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
My buddy bought 12' outback last week and they give you a free guided fishing trip at night in Salem harbor as a gift. I may go and rent one to go with them. I know I'll be the one getting hooked though.

seamonkey84

« Reply #12 on: Jun 30, 2016, 09:43 PM »
Have you looked into any of the mini bass boats like the sundolphin sportsman or bass hunter?  I have the sundolphin and I love it. They seat two and are still smaller and lighter than a jon boat, as they are designed to fit into a full size pickup bed or on just about any roof rack. They are extremely stable, just not as roomy as a Jon but still better than a kayak.  I just have an electric trolling motor on mine but they can take an outboard and aren't too bad to paddle. They can get into those really shallow spots too.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

Knot there yet

« Reply #13 on: Jul 01, 2016, 02:25 PM »
Hobie outback 12'. I bought. 😃😃😃😃😃😄💥💥💥

lowaccord66

« Reply #14 on: Jul 02, 2016, 07:48 AM »
Hobie outback 12'. I bought. 😃😃😃😃😃😄💥💥💥

Congrats!   I was going to pm you.  Buddy was selling is outback for 1500 with electronics, I guess I may have to consider it again...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.