FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hey Fly Fishers.....I Need Some Field Testers!  (Read 5793 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Hey Fly Fishers.....I Need Some Field Testers!
« on: Jun 23, 2016, 04:40 AM »
I've been making furled leaders for a few years. I'm looking for 10 avid fly fishers to field test my leaders and give me feedback on their performance. I want to know what you REALLY THINK . What you like or don't like about them.

The first 10 who respond will be sent a leader to use.

You must be a NY fly fisher.

Pm me the following info;
Name and address
Preferred Rod weight and length and Rod material.......(eg. 9' 6" 4 pc. 5wt IM-6)
Line weight and type......(eg. DT-5F)
What leader you use most....brand, length, weight.
What kind of fishing you do most. Dry fly, nymph, streamers, foam.
What species you target most.

For the record, I don't sell them. I've given dozens away and never heard back from most of the users. I fear they never even tried them. For the fly fishing that I do they have proven to be far superior to mono leaders, but there's a lot of fish I don't target. For one thing, they're bombproof. I have one on my favorite 5 wt that's 5 years old and good as new. I'll admit to having knotted a few with extremely sloppy casting technique. But even those were salvageable.

All I ask is that you use the heck out of them and post your comments here.

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

centerpinjosh

• live to fish forced to work
Re: Hey Fly Fishers.....I Need Some Field Testers!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23, 2016, 06:35 AM »
I'd take one if they aren't all gone I usually fish smallmouth with streamers on a 8'6" 5 wt. Graphite rod... Not sure what the line is lol its old and can't remember.as for leaders I usually just run 6 lb mono nothing special

MattyP123

« Reply #2 on: Jun 23, 2016, 08:31 AM »
I'm still using your leaders Bob, they're great! I won't throw a dry with anything else. But I prefer a tapered mono with a stiff butt section for my weighted nymph rigs.

kc

« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2016, 08:52 AM »
I have made a few myself. I like the way they turn a fly over. But I will say they carry a little water with them, that sprays on the surface and will put a few fish down.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #4 on: Jun 23, 2016, 01:35 PM »
I'd take one if they aren't all gone I usually fish smallmouth with streamers on a 8'6" 5 wt. Graphite rod... Not sure what the line is lol its old and can't remember.as for leaders I usually just run 6 lb mono nothing special

Pm your address Josh.

I've never noticed any water spraying off the leaders KC, but you're probably right.

Matt, glad the work for you.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

legend1

« Reply #5 on: Jun 23, 2016, 01:58 PM »
i am a poor flyfisherman way out in wyoming and would love to try one for the pike i chase ! i throw a 7wt dt/f line made by cortland on an 8ft 7 in boron/graphite made by silstar 20 plus years ago to fight our famous winds. something 7-9 feet would be lovely. i would be glad to send the postage ! thanks for considering me.

Bartman44

« Reply #6 on: Jun 23, 2016, 03:42 PM »
Take him up on it, they are effective, I like them especially for delicate dry fly work and RG has provided me with some to test in the past. Unfortunately, I haven't been doing any fishing as of late so no testing for Bart.

Furled Leader dry fly brown from the Battenkill

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Jun 23, 2016, 06:23 PM »
i am a poor flyfisherman way out in wyoming and would love to try one for the pike i chase ! i throw a 7wt dt/f line made by cortland on an 8ft 7 in boron/graphite made by silstar 20 plus years ago to fight our famous winds. something 7-9 feet would be lovely. i would be glad to send the postage ! thanks for considering me.

Well I don't want to be labeled a NY snob....... ;D.......pm me your address. I've got some heavy ones in my arsenal I use for carp. They ought to hold up to a pike.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #8 on: Jun 23, 2016, 06:25 PM »
Nice one Bart.

I thought you were retired?

Rg

Bartman44

« Reply #9 on: Jun 24, 2016, 05:57 AM »
Nice one Bart.

I thought you were retired?

Rg

Actually took a promotion, keeping me busier than I want to be. Not much fishing but at least I have my veggie garden going.   

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jun 24, 2016, 07:07 AM »
RG  sent me a  few of  his leaders and  I told  him  after I  fished  them  for  everything  from salmon to bluegills ,he  really should  sell  them  ...unbelievable ....
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Jun 24, 2016, 08:29 AM »
You're a REAL field tester Trapper. You've been playing with those for a few years now. That's the problem with selling them. You almost never need to buy another ;D

I'm not sure what you'd have to do to wear one out. I suppose you could lose one and have to replace it.  ;D

Everyone has been added to the list. I'll be sending some out on Monday.

Rg

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jun 24, 2016, 08:32 AM »
like I  told  ya  RG  only thing I  had  to  do was adjust my  cast a  bit    and  they roll  sweet ...I  would  like to try them in the  salt water  for  blues  .....
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: Jun 24, 2016, 02:41 PM »
like I  told  ya  RG  only thing I  had  to  do was adjust my  cast a  bit    and  they roll  sweet ...I  would  like to try them in the  salt water  for  blues  .....

If you do, let me know. I can do some furled mono for you. They take the shock a bit better than the Uni leaders do.

Rg

MattyP123

« Reply #14 on: Jun 24, 2016, 08:25 PM »

I'm not sure what you'd have to do to wear one out. I suppose you could lose one and have to replace it.  ;D

That's the only reason I have extras, $12 a piece from cutthroat leaders and wouldn't be able to tell the difference if I mixed up the bags

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.