FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: what a beautiful morning to be on the lake  (Read 2926 times)

dsqui

what a beautiful morning to be on the lake
« on: Jun 25, 2016, 03:19 PM »
took a good buddy of mine out this morning for some musky.  his first trip for them ever we were both kinda worried he would be bored not catching a whole lot but he really enjoyed it.  we actually got skunked but he managed to make it a full 8 hours.  we  only seen one fish, he got a follow on about his 5th cast, fish was right around forty so i think that really helped him make it the rest of the time he hasn't really ever seen anything that big before.  seen some really nice bass but none of them wanted anything to do with the oversized gear we were throwing which really caught me by surprise usually the "d**n green carp"  hammer the bigger lures since its something they really don't see often.  all n all the final score was fisherman 0 fish 1 but it still turned out to be a great morning on the water

taxid

Re: what a beautiful morning to be on the lake
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2016, 03:34 AM »
took a good buddy of mine out this morning for some musky.  his first trip for them ever we were both kinda worried he would be bored not catching a whole lot but he really enjoyed it.  we actually got skunked but he managed to make it a full 8 hours.  we  only seen one fish, he got a follow on about his 5th cast, fish was right around forty so i think that really helped him make it the rest of the time he hasn't really ever seen anything that big before.  seen some really nice bass but none of them wanted anything to do with the oversized gear we were throwing which really caught me by surprise usually the "d**n green carp"  hammer the bigger lures since its something they really don't see often.  all n all the final score was fisherman 0 fish 1 but it still turned out to be a great morning on the water

Do you ever worry about the survivability of the released fish in the warm water this time of year?

Got a big musky in a couple of weeks ago to mount that the angler couldn't revive. He tried really hard but it just wouldn't happen. He's an avid veteran musky angler that never keeps them.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

dsqui

« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2016, 06:52 AM »
ya but having the right gear and tackle really helps.  early morning and at night also help with surface temps being a little cooledr for the fish.  but i really think the major thing is having the correct tackle.  sad to say but i see alot of people out with undersized gear fishing for them.  you dont deer hunt with a 22 or bass fish with a kids mickey mouse rod could it be done ya but its not the right gear so i dont know why guys would muskie fish with average bass tackle ya it can be done but it just puts alot of stress on the fish and thats when you really start having trouble getting them to survive.  just like yesterday two guys were out fishing for them both with ugly sticks that ya can handle the abuse the fish is going to give but they were way under powered when they would hold the lure out of the water the rods were almost bent in half.   now if a rod cant handle a lure correctly then t sure isnt going to handle a big fish correctly.  it really comes down to respecting the catch and you are really starting to see less and less of this every year.  now your friend being an avid musky guy im assuming has the correct gear and that happens but atleast hes trying to stack the odds in his favor.

wallydiven

• n.w. indiana
« Reply #3 on: Jun 26, 2016, 08:59 AM »
I respect the fish way to much to be fishing for them with these water temps. Doesn't matter day or night the water is still to hot. I am a seasoned musky fisherman with all the proper tools and know from past experiences when to call it quits. Please do the fish a favor and wait till September. My cutoff temp is 78 degrees and saw temps on Barbee last weekend in the 83-86 range. A sure death sentence for a caught musky even with proper gear and tools.

dsqui

« Reply #4 on: Jun 26, 2016, 02:50 PM »
78 u say hmm so you could still be fishing then cause the lakes we were on were both right at 73 so maybe before you pass judgement u should know all the facts im also a seasoned musky fisherman with the proper tools and know how to know when to open my mouth and when to not so i dont put my foot in it

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Jun 26, 2016, 03:00 PM »
78 u say hmm so you could still be fishing then cause the lakes we were on were both right at 73 so maybe before you pass judgement u should know all the facts im also a seasoned musky fisherman with the proper tools and know how to know when to open my mouth and when to not so i dont put my foot in it

I think you're taking this too personally and I don't believe our posts were mean to be negative. I was asking and Wallydiven was stating his opinion.

You do know just because a fish swam off doesn't mean it won't die later right?  As a taxidermist I've had calls this time of year where people find them floating and wonder it they can still be mounted.

I will shut up now but suspect we are not alone.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

dsqui

« Reply #6 on: Jun 26, 2016, 03:13 PM »
no u were fine taxi but wally wasnt

wallydiven

• n.w. indiana
« Reply #7 on: Jun 26, 2016, 05:19 PM »
no u were fine taxi but wally wasnt
Apparently you didn't care to fully read nor understand my post. I do know for a fact that all musky lakes in northern Indiana except for one are well above 75 degrees. I don't claim to be the sharpest tac on the board but I do know more about Indiana muskies than most of the guys that fish here. Why? Because number 1, this is my passion. 2, it's an addiction for me to find out all the information I can about these elusive wolves. And maybe I forgot to mention I study information about them every day

Just_jiggin83

« Reply #8 on: Jun 26, 2016, 07:41 PM »
Glad im not a muskie fisherman although i am going to St. Claire soon. You guys are too offensive! Go catch some panfish or something. Just joking guys.

wallydiven

• n.w. indiana
« Reply #9 on: Jun 26, 2016, 08:03 PM »
Glad im not a muskie fisherman although i am going to St. Claire soon. You guys are too offensive! Go catch some panfish or something. Just joking guys.
Enjoy your trip! That place is AMAZING!!! Just got home from my third trip there this season. Put 15 in the bag on our last trip in 2 days. Biggest so far this year is a 47". Blades and rubber!!

wallydiven

• n.w. indiana
« Reply #10 on: Jun 26, 2016, 08:11 PM »
I think you're taking this too personally and I don't believe our posts were mean to be negative. I was asking and Wallydiven was stating his opinion.

You do know just because a fish swam off doesn't mean it won't die later right?  As a taxidermist I've had calls this time of year where people find them floating and wonder it they can still be mounted.

I will shut up now but suspect we are not alone.
That is a spot on statement taxi! I see floaters every year in the summer from anglers thinking fish survived because "they swam off just fine". Look at the mouth, was a caught fish that unfortunately and unnecessarily died. These Indiana fish don't handle summer water temps very well.

bigr

« Reply #11 on: Jun 27, 2016, 05:19 AM »
Fished Skinner Saturday evening. Sure was a bunch of guys out trolling. I stayed with live bait and was able to dock one small fish. Yes it was a nice day to be fishing.

indianahooker

« Reply #12 on: Jun 27, 2016, 06:32 AM »
i think you would see many more floating around, if it were such a drastic problem.

Just_jiggin83

« Reply #13 on: Jun 27, 2016, 09:06 AM »
Enjoy your trip! That place is AMAZING!!! Just got home from my third trip there this season. Put 15 in the bag on our last trip in 2 days. Biggest so far this year is a 47". Blades and rubber!!

I hope it is a good time! We went with the same charter captain this past spring jiggin' for eyes on the river, he said 6-8 skis a day is average and a good day is between 12-15! I hope that holds true. Cant wait!

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Jun 27, 2016, 03:39 PM »
i think you would see many more floating around, if it were such a drastic problem.

Actually from my experience raising fish, I have found not all fish float after they expire. Some go to the bottom and stay there. Additionally once a turtle takes some bites and releases any trapped gases they stay on the bottom.

The interesting thing I have found is some species are more prone to go to the bottom while others are not. Large trout usually go right to the bottom and you never see the carcass until the pond is drained. It may be because unlike many other species they have a connection between the stomach and the air bladder which can release air.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.