FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Overlap on 2 X 6 downrigger board?  (Read 5446 times)

taxid

Overlap on 2 X 6 downrigger board?
« on: Jul 06, 2016, 09:49 AM »
I have a small 14.5 feet aluminum boat and will be mounting two Cannon Sport troll downriggers on each end of a 2 X 6. It's really not practical to do anything else on this boat and I've done this years ago.

The board lays perpendicular over the width of the boat over two oarlocks, and I'll place a large bolt through each oarlock and tighten with a nut and lock washer. Easy off easy on.

Anyway, should I cut the ends of the board even with the outside edge of the boat or run it out a little? If so how much?

Can't remember what I did years ago and that board is history for some reason.  ;D

Maybe really doesn't make much difference?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

Re: Overlap on 2 X 6 downrigger board?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 06, 2016, 12:37 PM »
If you run it out past it will interfere when you come into the dock.

Mac

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2016, 12:09 AM »
If you run it out past it will interfere when you come into the dock.

Mac

Makes sense!

Thanks!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

boondox

« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2016, 05:47 AM »
Any pictures of the boat?? I know it not particle that's why I ask for a picture of it maybe there is some thing we see that you dont??? But for sure you don't want it permently extended out past the boat when pulling into the dock that or the riggers them self might want to put a swivel base on it ? To swing it out of the way when not in use...

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 2016, 01:06 PM »
I'll post some pics next time I pull it out of the garage. Just had it out today to get new tires put on the trailer and one older one on a spare rim.

Going to cut the board right at the outside edge of the boat. Even if it stuck out a ways it would be easy to remove before I get back on the shore or next to a pier. It's attached through the oar locks with a simple bolt and wing nut.

fish wayniac

« Reply #5 on: Jul 08, 2016, 05:35 PM »
My buddy built his rod rack so it extended beyond the boat. The only thing is you have to be careful at the dock.

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Jul 08, 2016, 07:36 PM »
My buddy built his rod rack so it extended beyond the boat. The only thing is you have to be careful at the dock.

Looks good.

boondox

« Reply #7 on: Jul 09, 2016, 04:10 PM »
Just seen pictures of your boat another thread... what about putting a down rigger swivel base on each rear corner ?  It's how ours is set up. For down riggers not sure if the down rigger plate will fit like two small of corner gusset.. that will give you a sturdy mounting point and use of the front seats?? As for rod holders you got the sport troll can you use the rod holder on the back of it some make a twin rod holders for their riggers like I think cannon does.. then add some thing like down eat rod holders or even tite-loc rod holders for diseyes or even back trolling like saying it only suggestions then you don't got to go with mounting to a board and truly leaves the walk around ability of your boat...

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Jul 09, 2016, 08:51 PM »
Just seen pictures of your boat another thread... what about putting a down rigger swivel base on each rear corner ?  It's how ours is set up. For down riggers not sure if the down rigger plate will fit like two small of corner gusset.. that will give you a sturdy mounting point and use of the front seats?? As for rod holders you got the sport troll can you use the rod holder on the back of it some make a twin rod holders for their riggers like I think cannon does.. then add some thing like down eat rod holders or even tite-loc rod holders for diseyes or even back trolling like saying it only suggestions then you don't got to go with mounting to a board and truly leaves the walk around ability of your boat...

I ended up putting a 2 X 6 I had left over from another project across the bow at the oar locks. Ran a bolt through the board and oar locks fastened with a wing nut, and mounted the bases that allow the down riggers to be easily taken on and off the bases on each end with a thumb screw and tab. Not worried about mobility as if I'm trolling I won't be moving back and forth in the boat much. It's easy to get off the seat and grab the rod if I get a hit. And the Sport troll down riggers  have a rod holder with each downriggger. If I decide not to troll it's not hard to remove the bolts and set the board aside out of the way.

I was surprised that the downrigger bases were a little big for a 2 X 6. I aded a 2 X 4 vertically on the side as long as the bases which made enough width and reinforced the 2 X 4.

Thank you all for your help!

Sorry about the blurry photos but the camera is getting really old.

Mac Attack

« Reply #9 on: Jul 09, 2016, 09:15 PM »
nice job

boondox

« Reply #10 on: Jul 12, 2016, 08:39 PM »
just thought of this since you ripped the seats out of the boat.. that  board from oar lock to oar lock keep the boat more ridged which is a good thing... by the way looks good enough to fish

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Jul 12, 2016, 10:23 PM »
just thought of this since you ripped the seats out of the boat.. that  board from oar lock to oar lock keep the boat more ridged which is a good thing... by the way looks good enough to fish

Back when I ripped the seats out at least 15 years ago I was concerned about losing rigidity of boat but it turns out it had no effect. I will take the board out when I'm not downrigging to have more room in the boat. Most of the time I will have only one seat in the boat in the back and will be fishing by myself anyway.

I hate boats that are cluttered. Had a cousin that would bring everything but the kitchen sink plus five or six rods. I found that really annoying.

taxid

« Reply #12 on: Jul 12, 2016, 10:24 PM »
looks good taxid.  gona troll up some monster esox on the O chain?  

Yep gonna back troll for them with the largest sucker or shiner I can find.

Btw not all the big marks you see on the fish finder are what you're after. Did some gill netting on Oliver years ago with biologist Larry Koza looking for cisco. We gill netted 1 to 2 1/2  pound common white suckers suspended in the water column. Larry said even their mouths are designed for bottom feeding they will feed on suspended zooplankton. That surprised me.  We also gill netted some smallmouth bass suspended 40 feet down in the southeast corner of the lake.

I once saw a massive carp cursing along in Oliver suspended at 20 feet on a fish camera. I've caught and accidentally foul hooked some huge carp in Oliver. If you chum with corn in the weeds off the break, just as you pull out of the public access you will have carp on that you will not land. They dive into the weeds and break you off.

Mac Attack

« Reply #13 on: Jul 13, 2016, 06:20 AM »

I once saw a massive carp cursing

No ship!

;)

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Jul 13, 2016, 08:44 PM »
No ship!

;)

Darn auto spell check!

Cruising of course.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.