FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Wabash River Report  (Read 5055 times)

bigr

Re: Wabash River Report
« Reply #15 on: Jul 14, 2016, 08:52 AM »
I've been asked when is the river right for a trip or best fishing. Time of year starts mid April thru mid October with I believe the peak being June to Sept. always exceptions. I far as river conditions the clearer the better. Best to ask on here about color because it can stay muddy or clear when you don't expect it to be. That's because of the reservoirs discharge. As far as levels always check the corp resi site and combine the sally and roush discharge amounts for levels upstream from Missinnawa. If your fishing below miss add that figure. Discharge amounts up to 200cfu's is best and from 200 to 400 is good. Over 400 and the current gets moving and likely there's a reason for the increase that makes the chances good the color won't be ideal. Those figures are for upstream from the Miss, add a 100 for fishing below miss. Hope this helps for planning and good fishing, river is right now.     

bigr

« Reply #16 on: Jul 14, 2016, 03:08 PM »
Matt you getting that one mounted for the boy. A smile like that is your trophy. Nice fish.

Fishgeek

« Reply #17 on: Jul 14, 2016, 09:34 PM »
Matt you getting that one mounted for the boy. A smile like that is your trophy. Nice fish.

Never even thought about that! That would have been a cool Christmas present!  My wife probably wouldn't let him hang it on the wall though!

bigr

« Reply #18 on: Aug 10, 2016, 08:49 AM »
8-9-16.Glen Tanner/Jack Portor bridge area on 24. Water is about as low as it will ever get in a normal year. Water temp wasn't bad for this time of year, clarity was good. Found feeding fish in the current just below a ripple in 2 ft of water. Two of us ended up catching 6 walleye and one sauger with only two being legal size. Added a few crappie with two being 10", two very nice smallies in the 16 to 17" range. A couple bill gar, hickory shad to round out the catch. Hooked a few others including an eye in the 22+" range. Good way to beat the heat. Bite really picked up just before dark but so did the bugs. Not a bad 2 hr trip.

Fishgeek

« Reply #19 on: Aug 10, 2016, 12:44 PM »
bigr, did you access the river by the CR 825 bridge?  South side of the river?

bigr

« Reply #20 on: Aug 10, 2016, 01:35 PM »
I have accessed from there,we actual fished upstream from there about 1/2 mile. The deep hole right under bridge holds fish and also upstream for a couple hundred yrds. Lots of smallies thru there. A very good float would be from under the us31 bridge to that point. 1/2 day trip fishing slow with good pools the whole way. Good access in and out. South side of river.

Fishgeek

« Reply #21 on: Aug 10, 2016, 01:45 PM »
OK.  Thanks!

bherr24

« Reply #22 on: Aug 10, 2016, 08:44 PM »
Tried that area this evening, only had one little smallie.  I live about 10 minutes away at most from this spot but had never fished it until this evening as i normally do all my smallie and eye fishing out of the eel in logansport.  I found 2 areas that looked really good up from lewisburg bridge but only had the one smallie to show for my efforts. Found a couple spots that looked like good catfish territory, may have to go back and try them out before our next tourney in 2 weeks.

bigr

« Reply #23 on: Aug 11, 2016, 05:23 AM »
Bherr24 don't give up on the area? That can be a real good quick place to go for you. You'll find those sometimes small runs that hold a lot of fish, just might take a few trips at differrent times of the day. I don't cat fish but always seem to mix a cat in once in awhile. I'll be on the Eel this Saturday for a family canoe trip from Stockdale mill to a strectch of property my brother inlaw owns a few miles down stream. I'll try for some smallies as my wife paddles.

bherr24

« Reply #24 on: Aug 11, 2016, 10:56 AM »
Yeah i plan to go back. I didn't expect much with it being my first trip. Was more interested in trying to learn the area a little and find some of the runs. Good luck to you on saturday. I'm ready for a little rain to get the water levels up a tad. The eel is a little bit lower then i like for the area i fish.

billyex99

« Reply #25 on: Aug 11, 2016, 07:49 PM »
I have accessed from there,we actual fished upstream from there about 1/2 mile. The deep hole right under bridge holds fish and also upstream for a couple hundred yrds. Lots of smallies thru there. A very good float would be from under the us31 bridge to that point. 1/2 day trip fishing slow with good pools the whole way. Good access in and out. South side of river.

After reading your posts I decided to take a trip down there and check it out. The us 31 bridge looked easy as far as access ( do you park under the bridge or out along the road ?) Getting out at the 825 bridge looks a little more challenging for a couple old men carrying a 12 ft. jon boat. But we'll get it done. Always floated the Tippecanoe, Will be the first time on the Wabash. Thanks for the info.

bigr

« Reply #26 on: Aug 12, 2016, 04:10 AM »
Billy, right under the bridge using the road that runs along river on the south side. You can access that road by going into Peru. The take ont 825 bridge is not bad either. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.