FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Solo canoe v kayak  (Read 4190 times)

bldfrt

Solo canoe v kayak
« on: Jul 15, 2016, 06:08 PM »
I've been considering a solo canoe (maybe old town 119) as a 1 man option and wonder if I'm crazy for wanting a small canoe instead of a kayak when I already have a normal sized 15.5 canoe. The small canoe is comparable in weight to a kayak and has plenty of gear space (or my kid space) cost is more than a cheap kayak but less than a nice fishing kayak. I had a cheap sit in kayak some years back and didn't like how it tracked in the water, it's lack of gear space, and getting in and out of it. Maybe it just soured me them and I'm being crazy. Any input is welcome

boondox

Re: Solo canoe v kayak
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2016, 07:08 PM »
your not crazy!!! they can be paddled like a kayak with one person at the helm tell you the truth the discovery is not that comfy to sit in the one I am looking at is the 14foot 6 inch sandarac reason being it is 379.99 on sale at dickssports.com every once in a while at dunhams sport same price...  were I think it regular price is 479.99 at dickssports .com any how you could pick it up in store would make it that much cheaper ... just get a longer then average kayak paddle like 160cm paddle or similar... and sit in the middle and paddle you can even get the side saddle  motor mount if needed which is good to a 2.5 horse motor.. I also would suggest a dolly cart like the one cabelas runs on sale for 39.99 every once in a while  that I got for 29.99 a long time ago I think it regular price is 69.99.. any how there is so much out there for kayak and canoes that it not funny check out ram mount transducer mount for kayaks I had and got one for my canoe it is made for a kayak but works on canoes...also ram mounts for mounting fish finders etc ... I got tite-loc rod holder for mine but hay what ever float you boat the best and work for  you I got a waist pack with batteries in it for the fish finder I wrap around the thwart on mine so I don't lose them if I get swamped...   even at 50 pound your going to want that cart if you get the discovery 11'9" model but truth fully get a good pfd what ever you do... I think the sandarac weights in at 80 pounds so keep it in mind plus gear etc you will need the cart no mater what  there is so much out there it not funny from how to store rods to how to make anchors and anchor trolley systems .. even crab pot float to make out rigger to make it more stable... by the way I fin d my canoe more stable then the two kayaks I have had  and they float better then them to for me... the only worry I have on mine is getting swamped cause of wave, boats wake, etc people are stupid just be safe in it... and transport in them is easier then others by portaging them I have portaged mine miles at a time from one lake to another wile fishing some of the back wood of Canada.... by the way the sandarac is 36 inch wide were I think the small discovery 11'9" is 32 inch wide meaning it is more stable the sandarac is ....   always post if you need help with any thing there is lot of people on here always willing to help 3300 is another great guy always willing to help he poke his head in every now and then... he is a kayak guy though kayaks have there pluses so do canoes...I find canoes more stable then kayaks and less weight then them for size and have more cargo capacity but the only negative is being able to be swamped on high traffic lakes  or even by waves on the great lakes...  always ask question if un sure so you are safe......

• I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2016, 09:43 PM »
think about what you have to do to get a canoe back to shore or a sit inside kayak if you spill it. i didn't think about that until i bought a sit inside kayak and bought a sit on top right away and like it much more than my canoe and my sit inside kayak by far. knowing i can rely it to get me home safe is key rather than trying to swim with it to shore. more thoughts on that matter are if it's raining hard, do i bail water or paddle. you have to choose one but can't do both. same with if wake comes over the bow enough. you can use a splash skirt for the sit inside kayak tho, but that's not for me.
if i were to go with a hybrid canoe, it would be the old town next canoe. it was on sale for 650 on slickdeals recently (just last month) and 49 to ship. they say to buy about one foot longer kayak paddle for it versus the paddle for a kayak.

some links to check out
http://www.paddlenext.com/

https://www.amazon.com/Old-Town-Next-Canoe/dp/B00SN50RWK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_468_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=413TeQps7dL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=SNWPQRP1X7TQ25KCJT7J

https://slickdeals.net/e/8812219-old-town-next-canoe-640-at-academy-ship-only-49?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

if you want to add a troller to either, it can be done easy enough. in michigan we have to pay for a sticker to do so. i made a mount for my ocean kayak  13.4 predator and my 12 foot fiberglass canoe. i haven't used the motor on the kayak and don't need it. i had the parts laying around and made it because i could is all. many are using the wallmart minnkota for that and cost is 100 for the motor if you don't have one. use pvc mounts for the kayak in the rear rod holders. install them if the boat came with none.  they are 12$ each

the seat is crucial in what ever you decide to buy. look at that very closely and see if it's upgradable. kayak's are easy to swap out if it's a sit on top as they use snap locks that connect to "D" pads designed to hold the seat. make sure there are two in the back of the seat and two in the front. stay away from the ones that only use the front connectors. after a few hours, the back support becomes more important. mine is a little low for me and is the stock seat. i will be upgrading to a taller back rest and they are about 60 on amazon and have rod holders and a small pack on the rear of the back rest. you can use hunting cushions too and or throwable pfd's for more padding.

the canoe you mentioned has no back support at all or cushion. i would not want to own it, mainly for that reason alone. you would be looking at bleacher seats to try to accommodate some comfort in it or at least i would.

getting out of a sit on top kayak is easy. just sit with both legs on one side of the boat and stand up. they are hard to tip over too. the sit inside is much harder to get in and out. getting on the sit on top is also easy. just put one leg next to the boat and swing the other over  to the other side so you are straddling it or get in like you get out with both legs on one side, sit down and swing your body and legs to be centered.

i don't miss my canoe or my new sit inside old town vapor angler kayak.

NEXT Specs
Length    13'
Width    29"
Material    3-Layer Poly
Hull Weight    53 lbs
Seat Specs    21" / 6 lbs
Boat Capacity    450 lbs

boondox, thanks for the kind words! you are also very helpful on this site and the iceshanty site.  you seem to be very creative in the things you do. keep up the good work!

boondox

« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2016, 08:30 AM »
Have you checked out the lifetime brand kayaks? That maybe a better solution it is a sit on top it has rom for up to 3 and is I think cheaper then the solo canoe and you can get a motor mount for it I think it's capacity is 500# and is why I swayed from it  I weight last 439 pounds last weighted little to heavy for it but it is a very good design btw seen it for sale on homedepot Web site for $350. And it was the camo fishing model  came very close to ordering it but bought a field stream sit in side same capacity same but sunk it total and it seemed very unstable... maybe it was the model I tried don't know.. my self I think it was... me I prefer sit on top style easier to get out of and safer if swamped mainly won't happen... but it's only a suggestion  if you like it up to you... I sure you can out fit it very well to...

boondox

« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2016, 09:27 AM »
By the way thanks for the kind words... if you do like the lifetime sport fisher kayak I was talking about they make a manta kayak that is basically the same.. but read the reviews on it to see if you can live with it cause it does not have a dry hatch does not have rod holders that ate not well placed like that of the sport fisher and is a few buck cheaper then the sport fisher... but what ever you want to do try it out before you buy it....

fishlessman

« Reply #5 on: Jul 19, 2016, 10:21 AM »
i have canoes, kyaks, and float tubes. by far the one ive used the most over the last 30 years is the square stern 13 foot old town.  ive got gas and electric motors for it, used to just leave the canoe loaded and simply slip it into the back of the truck and drive away

stripernut

« Reply #6 on: Jul 19, 2016, 11:03 AM »
I have posted before;
I fish both fresh and salt out of it and Guided out of a canoe for many years, for stripers. I have fished many time out of different kayaks and for me, I rather have my canoe. Some of the reasons that I like to fish from a canoe rather than a kayak; I like to stand, I like to bring lots of gear, I have been known to take a nap in a canoe, I stay dryer in a canoe, slap my pontoons on with my El. trolling motor, paddle standing up, have another person on board, Have 5 rods rigged and ready to cast in front of me, have a 25 gal tank on board full of live pogies (striper bait), sleep under it, use a anchor easily, being seen by other boats easier, turn around and paddle it backwards (this can be a very helpful trick at times) and did I mention stand up and fish.

I know that most of the things that I listed can be done with a kayak, but not as easily. I love taking a kayak when I am not fishing down some nice white water. In Florida I have spent a bunch of time catching fish out of a kayak and had a tandem that would stand up in, but the whole time I would be wishing that I had a canoe. I know many people (my father included) who think that kayak are better, but my point is they are not better for every one.

800stealth

• Got Smallies??
« Reply #7 on: Jul 19, 2016, 11:31 AM »
I've got yaks and canoes and I prefer the canoe if I'm going to paddle something for any distance. In a yak your kinda stuck sitting for paddling which is a back killer for me... in my canoe I can sit to paddle but if it starts to bother my lower back I can simply slide forward off my seat and on to my knees, this allows me to get my thighs and my back all in a strait line stabilizing my lower back yet keeping a fairly low center of gravity. Just another though to throw on the pile...

bldfrt

« Reply #8 on: Jul 20, 2016, 04:16 PM »
I appreciate all the info. I'm still leaning toward solo canoe but have been looking at some kayaks. If I can find the right price on either I'll probably go for it but preferring the canoe idea. i probably should just man up and deal with loading and portaging my regular sized canoe alone on the regular. I don't mind it here and there but I never look forward to loading at the end of the day

boondox

« Reply #9 on: Jul 20, 2016, 06:04 PM »
I appreciate all the info. I'm still leaning toward solo canoe but have been looking at some kayaks. If I can find the right price on either I'll probably go for it but preferring the canoe idea. i probably should just man up and deal with loading and portaging my regular sized canoe alone on the regular. I don't mind it here and there but I never look forward to loading at the end of the day

What kind of car truck or suv  do you have there are a few things that make loading stuff easier... that and you got to load the solo to so if buying a lader rack for a truck and a canoe dolly is cheaper I would go that route .. you got to Remember if loading on top of a car the solo canoe is about 5 foot shorter and has the shortness pain in loading on a car like it can't reach the roof rack to lean it on so you can push it up on to from the other end.. .. or even trying to lift it they weight about 60 pounds add another 15 or 20 pounds and you got my 16 footer and the easy of loading it is easier then a shorter canoe that weights 2/3 of the full size canoe... I would invest if you got a truck a good H shaped ladder rack or if you got a car find out about Thule car cross bars to load it on...I think I paid 180 at sears for my cross bars for my Taurus and made the H beam laden rack for my ranger...but the choice really is yours me I would keep the longer canoe  and get it modified so you can load un load a lot easier .. just think about the weight and length  of full canoe versus a shorter one...

boondox

« Reply #10 on: Jul 20, 2016, 06:18 PM »
That way you got the kiddie room.. if you do need extra weight in the front get a dry bag fill it full of water that plus the kid will balance it out then when you go to leave dump it back into the body of water it came from...then wash and bleach out to destroy aquatic hich hikers Is my best suggestions if you need a picture of the dolly cart I am sure I can find you one I don't have the ranger or h beam lader rack so can't take a picture of those funny thing is I still got my Thule cross bars from my Taurus I sold it last year lol's still got lots of stuff to get rid of any how just weight your options and see what works best for a smaller budget... cause 600 is a tad expensive to invest in some thing twice...since you got the bigger one why not keep it and use it and rig it and use it the way you want it???

tomturkey

« Reply #11 on: Jul 20, 2016, 07:51 PM »
I've got yaks and canoes and I prefer the canoe if I'm going to paddle something for any distance. In a yak your kinda stuck sitting for paddling which is a back killer for me... in my canoe I can sit to paddle but if it starts to bother my lower back I can simply slide forward off my seat and on to my knees, this allows me to get my thighs and my back all in a strait line stabilizing my lower back yet keeping a fairly low center of gravity. Just another though to throw on the pile...

There is much more versatility to what you can do with a canoe. I spent a lot of time kneeling to paddle and fish out of my first canoe. It was wooden and I could slide my feet under the seat and rest my rear on the seat. If I was alone I would kneel and rest my rear on the center thwart to balance it out. That canoe was an old 16 foot wood hull that I bought for $10 and all the fiberglass for $27 from Herter's to glass it back around 1958. We hunted carp out of it with two standing and one paddling it is that stable. My kids have it now.

It got too heavy for me to load so I bought a 14 foot Michicraft aluminum canoe from some friends. I like it but I still prefer the old wood one as it is quiet and more stable.

I would love to try a yak but my back will not let me set in that position. Even if I could, I do not like the thought that I am unable to move around like I can in a canoe.

A tip to make loading a canoe or yak on a vehicle with roof racks. Run pipe from front to back on both sides. Simply lift one end of the craft on top of the pipe on one side. Go to the back of the craft, lift it up and slide it cross ways of the vehicle. Then simply turn the craft length ways and tie it down.

bldfrt

« Reply #12 on: Jul 20, 2016, 10:00 PM »
I have a crv with Thule cross bars. I canoe an amount, more than I get my boat out it seems some years this year included. I should maybe try a cart for it because that's the part I really dislike is lugging it around. The creek I mainly canoe has small primitive launches and you're parked up from it and it's semi rough rocky paths to get up and down. It just seems like a chore at the end to deal with with alone and especially with a toddler with me that I have to at least kinda keep and eye on with the terrain. I will need a fairly beefy cart

Fish Farmer

« Reply #13 on: Jul 21, 2016, 07:09 AM »
I have posted before;
I fish both fresh and salt out of it and Guided out of a canoe for many years, for stripers. I have fished many time out of different kayaks and for me, I rather have my canoe. Some of the reasons that I like to fish from a canoe rather than a kayak; I like to stand, I like to bring lots of gear, I have been known to take a nap in a canoe, I stay dryer in a canoe, slap my pontoons on with my El. trolling motor, paddle standing up, have another person on board, Have 5 rods rigged and ready to cast in front of me, have a 25 gal tank on board full of live pogies (striper bait), sleep under it, use a anchor easily, being seen by other boats easier, turn around and paddle it backwards (this can be a very helpful trick at times) and did I mention stand up and fish.

How does the canoe handle the surf? I have a beast of a canoe, 14 foot fiberglass, very stable and heavy. It has a keel and I can stand up in it for fly fishing. I have never brought it to the salt but there are several calm estuaries in Rhode Island where I can fish stripers. I really want to be able to launch it off a beach and get just past the surf zone, I worry that either a sit in kayak or canoe would get swamped. .

tomturkey

« Reply #14 on: Jul 21, 2016, 07:30 AM »
Neither are made for surf.

I tried my big canoe once in Lake Michigan. Notice the once as it did not like even the small surf there was.

A couple of weeks ago there were two idiots with no PFDS on, out in 4/5 footers on Lake Michigan in kayaks. One got to shore and the others body was found miles south of were they went over, thanks to side sonar.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.