FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: 12v to 24v motor  (Read 2170 times)

htc

12v to 24v motor
« on: Jul 16, 2016, 11:53 AM »
i'm upgrading from a 12v to a 24v trolling motor and am curious the plug that i use gets hot sometimes its the second one for this 12v system and because first would get warm also under heavy use. am i going to run into same problem with 24v system? will it get worse? if so can any one suggest a quality plugin to carry the load under heavy use?

not sure why i have this problem with the plugins using heavy enough wire, good battery and good motor it seems the plugins are always the weak spot getting hot. first plug got hot on set screws where wire connected to from batteries and current get hot internally where blades contact. never blown a fuse only happens when motor or battery is taxed hard it seems.

thanks, clint

taxid

Re: 12v to 24v motor
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2016, 04:28 PM »
Is it a Minnkota? It appears Minnkota has a good service department to ask?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

htc

« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2016, 06:31 PM »
yes got a reconditioned ulterra at cabelas.com for 500 off. never thought of obvious i'm sure they do humminbird's is stellar any dealings with them and minnkota is basically the same will give them a shout.

thanks taxid

• I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2016, 09:03 PM »
any way to go direct with out quick connectors would be best for current draw. connectors wear out and lose tension over time and maybe under rated for the application at least after some wear has been put to them. if you need them, see if you can get new ones for the female connector(s). also try crc 2-26 to improve the connection, some.
http://www.crcindustries.com/ei/product_detail.aspx?id=02004

they are hot because they are not transferring the current as fast as the wires are and have too much resistance from them in the circuit. heat wastes energy.

htc

« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2016, 06:05 PM »
very informative thanks 3300. may just go direct connect or near direct only take motor off in winter.

thanks, htc

cohobob

« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2016, 08:13 AM »
I have two 24 volt trolling motors on my boat, Cabela"s   has connectors that you solder motor leads on one and battery leads to the other, then they snap together for a positive
connection, They last for a long time never getting hot.

htc

« Reply #6 on: Jul 25, 2016, 10:43 PM »
trying to insert hyper link and plain text of the cabelas page to see if had right one and when post its editing out www.cabelas? really?

anyway thanks pretty sure its the only one they have that is that way includes the solder plugs thanks i'll go that route most likely.

-htc

Mac Attack

« Reply #7 on: Jul 26, 2016, 06:09 AM »
Yea, it's kinda funny here like that.

::)

Post the picture of it instead.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.