FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bass Lake surprise  (Read 1704 times)

Boomer

Bass Lake surprise
« on: Jul 17, 2016, 03:27 PM »
Went to the "Pocket" at Bass Lake this morning. Hoping to repeat some topwater action in the weeds. Got a little close to shore and saw some bubbles coming up from the bottom. I waited thinking that it might be a turtle but no. It was a BEAVER! Pop its head up about a foot from my hand.

Later I had a doe walk out in the water about twenty yards from me.  Great day of wildlife but no fish.

abishop

Re: Bass Lake surprise
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2016, 06:15 AM »
Went to the "Pocket" at Bass Lake this morning. Hoping to repeat some topwater action in the weeds. Got a little close to shore and saw some bubbles coming up from the bottom. I waited thinking that it might be a turtle but no. It was a BEAVER! Pop its head up about a foot from my hand.

Later I had a doe walk out in the water about twenty yards from me.  Great day of wildlife but no fish.
Did you notice if there were any makings of a den?

Boomer

« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2016, 07:59 AM »
Did not see any signs of a lodge being made. So surprised by it that I don't think I looked for one.

stripernut

« Reply #3 on: Jul 18, 2016, 08:51 AM »
Do you guys have many beaver out your way? We here are rotten with them...

Boomer

« Reply #4 on: Jul 18, 2016, 09:10 AM »
Do you guys have many beaver out your way? We here are rotten with them...
Just about everywhere I have gone in the last ten years in Indiana you have a pretty good chance of seeing beaver or their damage. Everything from lakes to rivers and streams and even small creeks have them. Rural areas and larger cities - doesn't matter. Just wish the price for their fur was higher.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Jul 19, 2016, 11:26 PM »
Did not see any signs of a lodge being made. So surprised by it that I don't think I looked for one.

They don't always make a lodge. I've seen them burrow into the bank. If you think a muskrat makes a hole...
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Boomer

« Reply #6 on: Jul 20, 2016, 09:45 AM »
They don't always make a lodge. I've seen them burrow into the bank. If you think a muskrat makes a hole...
I have seen this too.  My bil was setting traps one year and looked up under the bank into the eyes of a beaver. It sat there and watched him set the traps. Nest day my bil had two in his traps there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.