FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Hobie newbie  (Read 10717 times)

Knot there yet

Hobie newbie
« on: Jul 18, 2016, 07:06 AM »
12' outback. It's so easy to do. The leg workout is crazy takes couple days before you feel it. Jelly legs. Was hoping for couple trips this week. But sh#* happens and I'll be luck to get maybe two in.
 I've only caught bass in it so far. I'm still Leary about big stripers flipping me over though. I've seen on tv where they catch Marlin and tarpon in them. Nantucket sled rides must be cool too.
 How long before legs get used to it?
 How far does an average trip go?
 I'm looking to see whats the biggest wake bait  they make. Danny plug was amazing behind Hobie.
  GPS said I did 7 miles felt like 20. Felt more like 30 three days later. Chased a school of Pogie for almost 4 hrs.
 Anybody got one and heading out on northshore pm me. I'll go.

Baitbucket

Re: Hobie newbie
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2016, 08:09 AM »
I had a Hobie Revo/Outback for years. They are a great fishing platform. I never really had issues with the legs, but that comes from 15yrs of Mountain Bike Racing i think.

Biggest striper i ever got out of one was 41in on a live mack. Caught plenty of 30s trolling Tube and Worm. Thats a staple lure for yak fishing. Wait till u hook into a big fish and it literally tow u around lol, its awesome.

My average trip was about 15miles. Ive had it as far out as 3 miles jigging for cod. They are alot of fun, almost no maintenance, can launch anywhere, car top, etc..

The weight can be an issue, especially at the end of a long day.  If you have any questions feel free to ask.

lowaccord66

« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2016, 08:32 AM »
I liked the 12'er I borrowed.  Stable, easy to use, pretty quick as well.  I did a few miles, legs were fine (thanks canal) I think about owning one myself but wouldnt get a new one...

• I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2016, 01:01 PM »
my three kayaks don't have a pedal system, but why not try a paddle to work out your upper body while your lower gets a break.
also, you could add an electric trolling motor to it and get a break from either.

they make a wind sail for yak's too.

Knot there yet

« Reply #4 on: Jul 21, 2016, 08:33 AM »
my three kayaks don't have a pedal system, but why not try a paddle to work out your upper body while your lower gets a break.
also, you could add an electric trolling motor to it and get a break from either.

they make a wind sail for yak's too.
The exercise is good. Just can't believe how it effects the legs two three days later. I paddle some too. I like to let the fish work the upper body. I have a power boat so no trolling motor for yak.

Knot there yet

« Reply #5 on: Jul 22, 2016, 09:43 AM »
Again I'm impressed with mirage drive. I pulled a grounded (21')boat off the beach and out into some water. With just my legs no paddle. Guy couldn't believe it. A kayak saved his arse.
 Going to bling it up today mounting Lowrance and a couple more rod holders.

Baitbucket

« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2016, 06:09 AM »
The exercise is good. Just can't believe how it effects the legs two three days later. I paddle some too. I like to let the fish work the upper body. I have a power boat so no trolling motor for yak.

Agreed, paddle yaks in the ocean are tough, especially with a big fish towing you around. I know people do it, but u cant beat the hobie.

Also if you add a trolling motor, you have to register it.

lowaccord66

« Reply #7 on: Jul 24, 2016, 07:08 AM »
Trolling eels from one of those in some spots would be insanely productive.

Knot there yet

« Reply #8 on: Jul 25, 2016, 06:38 AM »
Seblie magic swimmer was the ticket. 4.5 f.o.w.  I did 7 mile loupe by the beaches. Got three fish before wind picked up. Ran into huge school of squid being being eaten by schoolies. Played with some of them for a while before calling it a day.
 Found great way to catch squid. I put a chunk down let them grab on then scoop behind them with net. They let go and go backwards. Tried fishing them live and dead nothing hit them.
 I've got the guide wear shirts but need the pants legs got a lot of sun even with spf 70 applied many times. 😡

Baitbucket

« Reply #9 on: Jul 25, 2016, 10:25 AM »
Seblie magic swimmer was the ticket. 4.5 f.o.w.  I did 7 mile loupe by the beaches. Got three fish before wind picked up. Ran into huge school of squid being being eaten by schoolies. Played with some of them for a while before calling it a day.
 Found great way to catch squid. I put a chunk down let them grab on then scoop behind them with net. They let go and go backwards. Tried fishing them live and dead nothing hit them.
 I've got the guide wear shirts but need the pants legs got a lot of sun even with spf 70 applied many times. 😡

Sun protection is huge. I highly recommend the Hogy Tube and worm rigs for trolling. I have seen and caught more bass from a yak using those than any other lure.

Knot there yet

« Reply #10 on: Jul 25, 2016, 10:53 AM »
Sun protection is huge. I highly recommend the Hogy Tube and worm rigs for trolling. I have seen and caught more bass from a yak using those than any other lure.

I only use Santini tube and worm. (He 's on here.) you should go to his shop meet him. I promise you'll learn something useful. He does guided trips too. I know your buddy does too but il bet some of his #,000 GPS points are some of Pete's. Pete is interesting just to listen to. His tube and worms are the best. I have know doubt. When you can buy the best at a great price why buy the knock offs. I use leadcore to prevent twist and get extra depth. I never put the rod down or in holder.
 People say it's more about good worm than good tubes. I've used week old dead worm(stink worm) before and caught fish. I tell people it's about good tubes. Slug-go's on the other hand anything that looks like it works great.

Baitbucket

« Reply #11 on: Jul 27, 2016, 12:41 PM »
I only use Santini tube and worm. (He 's on here.) you should go to his shop meet him. I promise you'll learn something useful. He does guided trips too. I know your buddy does too but il bet some of his #,000 GPS points are some of Pete's. Pete is interesting just to listen to. His tube and worms are the best. I have know doubt. When you can buy the best at a great price why buy the knock offs. I use leadcore to prevent twist and get extra depth. I never put the rod down or in holder.
 People say it's more about good worm than good tubes. I've used week old dead worm(stink worm) before and caught fish. I tell people it's about good tubes. Slug-go's on the other hand anything that looks like it works great.

Ive been to that shop a bunch of times, and he does make great tubes as well.

Its good you got in the habit of keeping the rod in your hand, its definitely results in more fish in the boat. One tip i learned while trolling tubes is to keep the rod tip parallel or just above the water and slowly work the rod front to back. As you move the rod forward the tube speeds up and rises. As you drop it back it slows and sinks. This will help you determine the depth the fish are at and how aggressive they are that day.

Knot there yet

« Reply #12 on: Aug 03, 2016, 06:10 AM »
I was so close. Found some pogies to snag. Snagged my first one but got distracted and he rub hook off in shallow water. I snag another and same thing. Lot of boat traffic in that area. I didn't want to show everyone where's they were.I only had Couple hours to fish and had to leave. I'll be back to try again. Looking for my first 30lbs. Plus fish in kayak. (Sleigh ride) 

Baitbucket

« Reply #13 on: Aug 04, 2016, 05:22 AM »
I was so close. Found some pogies to snag. Snagged my first one but got distracted and he rub hook off in shallow water. I snag another and same thing. Lot of boat traffic in that area. I didn't want to show everyone where's they were.I only had Couple hours to fish and had to leave. I'll be back to try again. Looking for my first 30lbs. Plus fish in kayak. (Sleigh ride) 

It dont take much to tow a yak, a fish in the 30+inch range will give you a good tug.

Couple tips for you while you are out there:

1: Try to land every fish the same way (like its a big fish) this way when u get a cow, its all muscle memory.

2: Keep a light drag at all times. I usually ran around 5lb drag. Your kayak will provide more drag than your reel. The loose drag is in case the fish runs right under your yak. If your drag is tight, a good sized fish could roll you.

3. Being in a Hobie, always keep the fish in front of you. Never fight backwards or off the side if possible.

4. When u get the fish boat side and have a grip on it, place the rod in a rod holder and open the bail or engage free spool. If it escapes your grasp you dont want a large fish with a face full of hooks on a short leash.

5. When fighting the fish, dont pull them in to fast. Fewer things are more dangerous than a green cow boat side. Tire them out and spend a little extra time reviving.

stripernut

« Reply #14 on: Aug 04, 2016, 08:26 AM »
I know your buddy does too but il bet some of his #,000 GPS points are some of Pete's.
Hey "Knot there yet", do you know how that sounds? Like I stole numbers from Pete, you calling me a thief? I know Pete, nice guy, we have never fished together for cod or stripers. What a uncool thing to say about someone, what did I do to you that would make you say I steal other anglers numbers? I have been Guiding for over 20 years and Pete and I don't even fish the same way. Well "Knot there yet", you bet wrong and you should watch who your going to call a thief. This website is here so we can help each other out with this great sport of fishing, not name calling, that is for Fox News, Bravo and elementary school playgrounds.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.