FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Lake trout in Owasco  (Read 3236 times)

Linc

Lake trout in Owasco
« on: Jul 20, 2016, 07:46 AM »
Monday was my first time ever fishing for lake trout. I went out with a buddy of mine in his boat who has fished for them a good many years. I learned a new way of fishing, running copper. I had a couple of hits but I did get a hook up but the leader broke. My buddy caught 2 the biggest weighed 7 1/2#. We got soaked when the skies let loose and called it quits when it started to lightening.
   We went out again yesterday and I hooked into 2 lakers. A 7 3/4# and a 7 1/2#er. I had hooked into a third but the leader broke. The fish hit hard and that was all she wrote. My buddy hooked into one using a pole but it got off before getting it close to the boat. Only reason he used a pole is because I got the copper wire tangled and put that one out of commission. My bad.

jiggin4perch

Re: Lake trout in Owasco
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2016, 10:19 AM »
I used to do that all summer with my dad on Seneca.  We did well and it was effective especially early late winter/spring.  We used twin minnows back then but i don't think you could now with all the zebra muscles in the lake.  It can be a mess if you let the copper out too fast or the current is going with you....lol i had that happen once or twice.  Alot of fun! miss those days

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2016, 10:46 AM »
I still have an old Victrola wound in copper, hand line unit, and a bunch of twin minnows. Haven't run those in a long time.  :P   Best not to drag that stuff around in an electrical storm!   :o

trouter

« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2016, 03:30 PM »
Heard that the lake level is way dow. did you have any problem launching. Great job on the lakers.

Linc

« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2016, 05:47 PM »
No problem launching from Emerson Park but the water level was down at least a foot from what it was back in May.

Is it common practice for fins to be clipped off of stocked fish?

iceman13166

« Reply #5 on: Jul 22, 2016, 10:47 AM »
Linc get ahold of me.  I bought a boat that is all set up for trolling and just need someone to go with me that has some knowledge and wants to go.

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 22, 2016, 04:50 PM »
No problem launching from Emerson Park but the water level was down at least a foot from what it was back in May.

Is it common practice for fins to be clipped off of stocked fish?
Yes, fin clipping is common.  Contsct DEC in your region if you're interested.
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

Linc

« Reply #7 on: Jul 22, 2016, 05:49 PM »
Iceman, Will do. I will message you on FB.

Sizematters, Thanks for the info. Between three of us fishing 2 days we had 3 that had their left pectoral fins clipped and one that had the left anal (?) fin clipped. I kind of assumed it meant they were stocked in different years.

iceman13166

« Reply #8 on: Aug 11, 2016, 06:25 AM »
Went trolling yesterday afternoon and we caught 5 Lakers, 2 Rainbows and 2 Small Mouth all trolling.  Caught the 2 Small mouth on Boards and all other fish were on the Riggers, none on Dipsey Divers.

Linc

« Reply #9 on: Aug 11, 2016, 06:55 AM »
Sounds like you did real good Iceman13166. I haven't been out since my original post. My buddy and his bro-inlaw had been out last week and they caught their limit of lake trout plus through back quite a few. If and whenever I get back out with him I am going to bring out a rod'n'reel  and some streamers I made up and see if I can catch some rainbows.

iceman13166

« Reply #10 on: Aug 11, 2016, 07:23 AM »
You busy today?  I was thinking of going out after work by myself.  I was out in a buddy's boat yesterday.  Time to try my own equipment today.

Linc

« Reply #11 on: Aug 11, 2016, 07:42 AM »
I have things to do this morning but should be good to go this afternoon. ;D

iceman13166

« Reply #12 on: Aug 11, 2016, 08:57 AM »
Pm being sent

Linc

« Reply #13 on: Aug 11, 2016, 10:07 AM »
PM back atcha.
  I have a Schallen auto hand fishing reel coming that is all set up to fish with copper wire. Once I get it I can show you how to fish for lakers that way.  I think the principal is the same as a Victrola but doesn't hold as much line.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.