FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New Lund question  (Read 13567 times)

LooseEye90

New Lund question
« on: Jul 21, 2016, 07:28 AM »
Hi all. Looking for some different opinions from those more experienced. I've been fishing out of my 16' Grumman for about 10 years now and it's time to upgrade. Fell in love with the Lund crossover 1875 and my wife doesn't mind it either. Question is how slow can I get with the 150merc 4s that's on it? It doesn't have the smart gauge. Does anyone have  experience here they could share? I fully expect it to run much faster than my current rig at troll.

Has anyone with the same boat mounted a kicker? I know a kicker is the way to go but it doesn't seem possible to mount the kicker to the transom without a plate. I have seen some photos where it looks like a portion of the deck was removed to accommodate but want to be sure before I buy. Going to call the dealer later and ask but wanted to poll you folks as well. I'd like a kicker I can remove and dual purpose it for my row boat, so maybe a 6hp tohatsu/merc, any thoughts here?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Knot there yet

Re: New Lund question
« Reply #1 on: Jul 21, 2016, 08:52 AM »
Million things you can do to slow you down. A kicker will get you home just not that small (9.9 min.)Max. Hp for that boat is 225 or 200? Rule of thumb is always max. Power a boat. I have ifs1800 pro v w/150 two stroke and I can go just under 2 mph. Crossover loaded (livewells)with gear and four adults gonna take away your hole shot.if you don't max out hp you'll regret it for ever. New mercury's great on gas at troll and top end. I drag 5 gallon buckets if I want slower than 2mph.

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Jul 21, 2016, 09:21 AM »
Go with the kicker.
Why would you want to put all those low speed trolling hours on the large EXPENSIVE motor.

The big motor will troll down, and you could use drif socks or buckets, or a trolling plate, etc., but why do it?

Get the kicker and feel good.

Also, it will mount to the transom on that Lund.
Talk to your dealer like you plan to do.

LooseEye90

« Reply #3 on: Jul 21, 2016, 10:03 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. The dealer actually just called me and Attack you are right(not that I doubted). The plus side is it easily accepts a kicker,  now the downside is deciding which one. If love to get the merc 9.9 but then it becomes a dedicated kicker, at 100lbs, for the boat. I think I'll go with a smaller kicker with it's own fuel tank(5-6hp tohatsu) and I can use it on the row boat as well. Makes it much easier to rationalize the added $1-2k. Only think I worry about is it being noisy.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger but the thought of tearing my old rig apart kind of saddens me.  :-\

massNtrash

« Reply #4 on: Aug 04, 2016, 09:21 AM »
LooseEye90 I tried to pm you a week or so ago when you asked me these questions but your inbox was full so it wouldn't go through so I guess I'll just post it here.

Your transom is built to except the kicker to be mounted directly to it. The downfall is that in order to do this you loose the port side filler plate that extends the rear casting deck back all the way to the transom. I have the 9.9 Pro Kicker (remote) on mine and it is mounted directly to the transom without a plate. I actually asked the dealer if I could do a plate so that I could keep that filler plate in but he called lund and they didn't recommend doing that. I did manage to get that filler plate from the dealer upon me taking delivery of my boat "in case you ever take the kicker off" so he said. I have no plans of ever taking this kicker off of this boat so I decided to modify the filler plate so that it could be used in conjunction with the kicker. I think it turned out fairly well in the end. I should note that after I took these pictures I have since moved the control lines and fuel lines underneath that plate so that they aren't over the deck at all. This doesn't effect the steering at all either. The kicker does have a small aluminum plate on the inside edge of the transom where the kicker screws down to clamp it in place but that is all. It has been an amazing set up so far and I wouldn't change a thing.

They are expensive but well worth it in my opinion. I will say that I wouldn't go much smaller than a 8hp because on my boat (the 1775) with the 9.9 pro kicker it will only push my boat at about 5.1mph and that is with the big motor trimmed up out of the water. In order to use it at trolling speeds of .9-2.5 mph it is rarely above 1/4 throttle though. I am at 7300ft in elevation as well. I also should mention that I use my minnkota to troll on most days since it is gps controlled it does all of the speed and direction corrections for me so I can just sit back drink beer and fish. The times I do use the kicker I actually am using the minnkota at the same time so the minnkota does all of the small speed corrections as well as does all of the steering while the kicker is just in gear pointed straight the entire time to provide the majority of the thrust. I do this for two reasons, first to conserve battery power for the electric, and second to troll into hard (20-30mph) head winds when the electric becomes a little under powered. You would not believe the ease of maintaining course and speed in these types of conditions. That is why I have both but others may not need both like I do. Overall I love my boat and how it is set up so I think you will be happy with yours.

If you have any further questions about the kicker or anything else about these boats for that matter feel free to ask me either on here or through a pm.
Rippin Lips!

fishlessman

« Reply #5 on: Aug 04, 2016, 10:04 AM »
i run a 6hp troller on my 20 foot heavey full cabin eastern lobster boat, i wouldnt want it any bigger  .6 to 6 mph.  make sure you can get a controller like an itroll or protroller for what ever model you get. my 6 doesnt charge the batteries, my next trolling motor will

Mac Attack

« Reply #6 on: Aug 04, 2016, 11:18 AM »

I also should mention that I use my minnkota to troll on most days since it is gps controlled it does all of the speed and direction corrections for me so I can just sit back drink beer and fish. The times I do use the kicker I actually am using the minnkota at the same time so the minnkota does all of the small speed corrections as well as does all of the steering while the kicker is just in gear pointed straight the entire time to provide the majority of the thrust. I do this for two reasons, first to conserve battery power for the electric, and second to troll into hard (20-30mph) head winds when the electric becomes a little under powered. You would not believe the ease of maintaining course and speed in these types of conditions. That is why I have both but others may not need both like I do.

X2...............it's the only way to troll.
The ipilot on the Minn Kota makes trolling so much easier.
I actually added 2 more deep cycle batteries in parallel to the original two.
Now I have enough juice to run only the Terrova for 7-8 hours without the kicker.
I typically run the kicker no matter what, even if it's out of gear and charging my batteries continually.
When the wind and waves become too much for the Terrova alone I pop the kicker into gear.

LooseEye90

« Reply #7 on: Aug 05, 2016, 10:11 AM »
Mass, thanks for the feedback, sorry about the Inbox I thought I cleaned it up. I just locked in the deal a few moments ago so I'm eager to get the boat. I will be sure to get the plate as well like you did, the dealer is removing it and installing a backer plate to protect the transom. I really like how yours turned out. Thanks again for all the pics.

And thanks to everyone else for the input. I think I will be going with a 6hp kicker. I know it's a tad smaller but I really want the ability to easily put it on my 14' row boat. Heck I can always upgrade if funds ever become available ha!

I'll also look into the bow mounts, I won't be putting one on until next year but ill keep it in mind.

Wish me luck, if all goes well maybe I'll be out within the week (or even Sunday according to the dealer) for a cruise.

massNtrash

« Reply #8 on: Aug 08, 2016, 08:58 AM »
Congrats! You'll love the boat for sure. Be sure to post up some pictures when you get her.
Rippin Lips!

LooseEye90

« Reply #9 on: Aug 09, 2016, 09:30 AM »
It all worked out, it looks pretty in the driveway but I have a feeling it will look even better on the water! Of course the weather for this weekend out here is rain!! I might have to brave it and go anyway, I never was much of a fair weather fisherman anyway.  :laugh:

Knot there yet

« Reply #10 on: Aug 09, 2016, 09:52 AM »
Gorgeous boat. May you have many year of joy with it.Number one boat in my mind.

Mac Attack

« Reply #11 on: Aug 09, 2016, 12:28 PM »
Sweet

massNtrash

« Reply #12 on: Aug 09, 2016, 02:44 PM »
Looks a lot like mine! We had the colors flipped though so that the top of the gunnels wouldn't be so hot in the sun. Our color scheme isn't even listed in the catalog just yours so ours is definitely one of a kind. I love the interior colors in both of ours though! You will have years worth of fun in that one right there, congrats again!
Rippin Lips!

LooseEye90

« Reply #13 on: Aug 10, 2016, 02:54 PM »
Thank! Yeah I noticed your color scheme was swapped, that looks real nice and won't get as hot to the touch.  I bought the one they had so didn't have an option. Really dig the black/tan color scheme. At first I was put off by when I saw it online and compared it to the blue/silver but it looks sharp in person.

Mounted the helix 9 last night, hopefully on the water tomorrow for an hour or two!  8)

Mac Attack

« Reply #14 on: Aug 10, 2016, 02:58 PM »
Quick question please.
Is that a 46" or a 54" tall bimini top on it?
Thanks for the help.
Mac

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.