FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: New Lund question  (Read 13569 times)

massNtrash

Re: New Lund question
« Reply #15 on: Aug 10, 2016, 04:55 PM »
The break in procedure kind of sucks to do but only the first two hours worth. After that you can pretty much use it as you normally would but just not run it wide open for long periods of time. What mount did you go with for your helix? I went with the cisco and have been very pleased with it. I have the helix 10 but they are the same size/weight and it is snug but it fits in there just about right.
Rippin Lips!

Huntny30

• "What ever you are, be a good one." Abe
« Reply #16 on: Aug 10, 2016, 05:21 PM »
Man I missed this post...I got an 1875 Crossover this year...absolutely love it...set up exactly like I always wanted my boat to be set up...very sweet looking boat, I love the colors!
\"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person.\" Fred Bear

Huntny30

• "What ever you are, be a good one." Abe
« Reply #17 on: Aug 10, 2016, 05:45 PM »
I put a lot of time and effort into setting it up for all kinds of fishing as well as family time...everything comes off quick and easy...if you have any questions please let me know...Enjoy your LUND!  I have not bought a kicker yet...I use two bags and it gets me down to where I need to be...I cannot get much below 3.0 without trolling into waves...the two bags I bought for 14.99 each and they get me down into the 2's...

\"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person.\" Fred Bear

Mac Attack

« Reply #18 on: Aug 10, 2016, 09:27 PM »
Quick question please.
Is that a 46" or a 54" tall bimini top on it?
Thanks for the help.
Mac

bump

LooseEye90

« Reply #19 on: Aug 11, 2016, 07:27 AM »
Attack - I'll measure tonight, it didn't come with it factory installed so they had a local canvas shop do it. The main supports are actually on the sport track brackets(it appears huntnys does too) so they can be removed. the whole thing actually lays down inside the gunwales so it shouldn't interfere as much with rod holders etc.

MassN - I went with a Ram mount. Seems to hold real well, the true test will be on a rough day. Here is the product description from Amazon. Cost me 35$ And the hole pattern lined up perfectly. I actually alum pop riveted the mount and Hbird base together(not the base to the boat, that's bolted!) instead of stainless screws because I got lazy.
{RAM Mounts (RAM-111U-B) 1.5" Diameter Ball Mount with Short Double Socket Arm, 6.25" X 2" Rectangle Base and 2.5" Round Base (Amps Hole Pattern)}

And thanks Hunt NY, nice rig and great photos. The dealer ordered me those sport track rigger mounts last week. Hope they come in soon! Did you have any major delays getting yours?

I ended up ordering ciscos 90degree track mounts, I plan to starboard my old tite lok rod holders on to them. Hopefully it works out well because I could use the extra coin I save for that kicker. My wife's just starting to cool off from the purchase! Hopefully I can get her out a day next week and it will change her tune ;D

Mac Attack

« Reply #20 on: Aug 11, 2016, 07:35 AM »

Attack - I'll measure tonight, it didn't come with it factory installed so they had a local canvas shop do it. The main supports are actually on the sport track brackets(it appears huntnys does too) so they can be removed. the whole thing actually lays down inside the gunwales so it shouldn't interfere as much with rod holders etc.

Thanks.
Here's a couple pictures of my Lund.

I'm going to fit one onto my rig soon.
I've done some measuring to be sure it lies down inside the gunwales as you mentioned.
This also helps when you put the mooring or travel cover on.

My concern of course is head room.
Too high and it only becomes a better sail while trolling.
Too low and you're constantly bumping your head.
I like the aspect ratio of yours.

Thanks for helping me here.

Mac

Mac Attack

« Reply #21 on: Aug 11, 2016, 07:42 AM »
Mounting larger sounders on a ram mount are best done with the larger ram mounts.
The ones with the larger 2.25" diameter ball.
Here is the one I bought for my HDS-8.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F0MFXY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just got a new HDS-7 to replace my old HDS-5 that was networked with the HDS-8.
And I will mount it on the smaller ram that held the HDS-5.
But it will only be a temporary situation until I buy another larger ram mount.
Even the HDS-5 would shake down while in rough water when running at elevated speeds.
But the HDS-8 stays put with the larger ball on the larger ram mount.

Mac

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #22 on: Aug 11, 2016, 08:20 AM »
  Question Mac......what does your boat & trailer weigh? Towing weight set up as is.

Nice boats guys!

massNtrash

« Reply #23 on: Aug 11, 2016, 09:38 AM »
Here is a picture of my helix 10 on the cisco sur-lok mount (sorry about the glare). I have never had a problem with it falling down even when I jumped a 5' wake from a ferry at 45mph, spilled my beer but the graph didn't move lol. Also if you guys have the minnkota with the ipilot link system the ram mount RAM-B138U-A will bolt up directly to the remote cradle without any modifications. This keeps it in a very convenient location and it is always plugged in and charging. I wrapped all of the spare wire for this and the ipod cord around the back of the mount and zip tied it up so it is all nice and neat. I also ran all of the cords to the graph through some expandable nylon sleeve to keep it clean. I wouldn't change a thing.

Huntny30 I really like your rigger bases where did you get those?

I went with scotty rod holders mounted on the sportrak mounts, that way I can move them around as I need depending on what I am doing on that particular day. Also if one of you guys need another sportrak mount I have an extra still in the bag that I can part with for pretty cheap.
Rippin Lips!

massNtrash

« Reply #24 on: Aug 11, 2016, 09:57 AM »
Forgot to mention the best part of these boats is they catch fish!

Rippin Lips!

LooseEye90

« Reply #25 on: Aug 11, 2016, 11:43 AM »
Nice!! Those crappie look tasty.  Man all this talk is killing me, sitting here at work looking out the window.

On the mount time will tell if the 1.5" ball ram will hold up, hopefully is does. I've ready it both ways, some say it worked great for their finders(in one case I read the same finder I have) and others have had it shake down like your saying attack. I'll report back after a couple trips. I'd hate to have already spent 35 and have to go spend another 80+ but sometimes that's that way it goes with trial and error and trying to save a buck.  :-\

Any of you guys run a transom saver? Used to on my old rig but it was a old boat with a new heavier 4stroke.

Also any recommended cleaning products? Im eyeing some of the 3M marine stuff.

massNtrash

« Reply #26 on: Aug 11, 2016, 12:43 PM »
Yes I am running a transom saver on the main motor. The quick disconnect style that just takes a half turn to come out. The dealer included it as part of their "standard rigging package" along with the life jackets, first aid kit, and fire extinguisher. I think I would run one especially if you have to travel very far with it on the trailer. I don't have one on my kicker though.

I am using rejex for waxing purposes which isn't actually a wax it is a polymer so it lasts a little longer and it seems to be easier to apply. Then I make sure to give it a quick wipe down when I pull it out just to minimize the amount of water spots (worst part about a black boat). If I have some free time when I get it home a quick spray/wipe down with Meguiar's ultimate quik wax and it looks just like it did the day I picked it up.

Did you get a transducer mounting board? I had to move that big HDSI transducer around a bit to find its happy place but even then it was causing a rooster tail so I made a spray deflector that goes over the top of it. I still loose bottom at high speeds in chop but at that point I usually have it on the map only anyways so it doesn't bother me.
Rippin Lips!

Mac Attack

« Reply #27 on: Aug 11, 2016, 01:13 PM »
 Question Mac......what does your boat & trailer weigh? Towing weight set up as is.

Nice boats guys!

I have it all done up on a spreadsheet at home.
I'll dig it out tonight and get back to you.
But somewhere about 2800 lbs if I remember correctly.
Please understand that I have four (4) deep cycle storage batteries up front for the Terrova.
They are wired in series parallel for 2 banks of 24 volts.
This setup allows me to troll for eyes with the Terova all day pretty much if I want.
There are 2 series 29's and 2 series 24's.
The 29's are like 65 lbs each and the 24's are about 50 lbs each.
The Honda kicker is another 100 lbs.
I have a lot of crap on that 16' boat.
And the boat lists as 1900 lbs towing weight from the factory.
So my 2800 above is probably close.
Still, I'll check my spreadsheet tonight.

Mac

Mac Attack

« Reply #28 on: Aug 11, 2016, 01:23 PM »
I use a transom saver too.
Like massNtrash, I too only use for longer rides.
My boat sits at my place on Lake Erie and we have a small launch there about 100yds away.
So I don't even keep the transom straps on it.

The transom savers really work to spread out the weight from the big motor a bit.
Instead of it all being on your boat transom, it moves a bit to the trailer.
My kicker stays straight up and down when I travel.
Plenty of room between the skag and the road, so no worries.

I read a bunch of articles over the years that all agree that if you aren't using a transom saver it is best to have the motor as straight up and down as possible.
This results in the least stress to your transom.
If you trip it up the motor tends to "see-saw" and flex on the transom as you bounce on down the highway.
I'm sure that many of you have seen this on boats being trailered when you ride behind one.

LooseEye90

« Reply #29 on: Aug 11, 2016, 01:37 PM »

Did you get a transducer mounting board? I had to move that big HDSI transducer around a bit to find its happy place but even then it was causing a rooster tail so I made a spray deflector that goes over the top of it. I still loose bottom at high speeds in chop but at that point I usually have it on the map only anyways so it doesn't bother me.

Yeah I made sure they put on mounting board, i found out late in the game those things are priceless if you upgrade/change/modify electronics a lot. I had the issue wth the rooster tail on my old boat and I'm sure I'll have it with this one too.

I agree with both of you on the transom saver. There really isn't a reason not to get one. MassN, what brand/model did you go with? I had one that was adjustable, square tubing, super sturdy and the quick disconnect on the old boat. Think it was an Attwood medium duty angled type around 80$. With this trailer I think I could go with a straight one but will have to see.

What shaft length is your kicker? 20"?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.