FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Summer temps  (Read 3220 times)

ftwwalleye

Summer temps
« on: Jul 23, 2016, 06:29 AM »
I start vacation after today and have a bunch of things to do around the house but will try and make it out a few times to fish. These temps are depressing. Anyone successful lately? I did pretty decent on some gills but got wicked sunburn. I was really Suprised they were biting at all at noon wit how warm it was. Bldfrt and I caught 1 bass between the 2 of us the other day. I love fall fishing but have already began watching a few ice fishing videos...ha

tater140

Re: Summer temps
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2016, 06:42 AM »
I hear ya...I went night fishing last week And did ok, caught a few gills. Night fishing at least you can beat the heat and stay out of the sun. My family is camping next weekend at the michigan city dunes, so im hoping to either take my kayak out in the big lake or walk trail creek. 

ftwwalleye

« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2016, 07:56 AM »
I hear ya...I went night fishing last week And did ok, caught a few gills. Night fishing at least you can beat the heat and stay out of the sun. My family is camping next weekend at the michigan city dunes, so im hoping to either take my kayak out in the big lake or walk trail creek. 
The creeks have been real low. They need a bunch of rain. Good luck. Hope you find a few staggers. Not sure if you ever fish single beads like the peach colored 8mm but during slow times those things work great.

indianahooker

« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2016, 09:59 AM »
bee night fishing also because of the heat.  was killing the trout at oliver untill the moon messed it up.  at least thats my excuse. lol  not much trouble limiting out with 2 kids in tow.  size isnt much.  a couple 16-18" the rest runts.

if you go, watch for the black toon!  it almost run us over flying around at night.  sounded like drunk kids on daddy's boat.

indianahooker

« Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2016, 10:03 AM »
poked a couple musky after dark too.  was fishing suckers under floats.  the 2 keepers we did get were hook very deep so they were released, instead of transported to pond. 

boondox

« Reply #5 on: Jul 23, 2016, 05:38 PM »
still got wicked sun burn from last week end I am not daring going out this week end... the fish will bite cause it is presented to them correctly and looks good I would try waxies right now cause of all the bug activity like hex hatches mayflies etc... etc .. the wax worms look like husks of the bug that they left behind.. or one that is floating to the surface like air is trapped in it floating the bug to the surface... any how it's hot and time to stay cool.. if I was to go out now I would go out for night fishing since the high noon sun is unbearable.. if you do got a boat might want to get a umbrella so to keep the sun off of you...  that's why night fishing is the way to go no sun at night around here... next time try drop shooting with waxies and a small hook is above the weight about a foot or two this time of year I do real good on deep water gills ....make sure that drop shooting is not illegal cause some states it is...     

boondox

« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2016, 05:54 PM »

perch:
get out the long rods  in like a 10 foot 6 inch ul good for 2 to 8 pound lines and some adjust-a-bubbles  you open the floats wish are adjust-a-bubbles fill them  full of water...and put a minnow on a tru-turn  like a size 2-4  and fish for some deep water perch on the grass edges were the weeds stop and the water drops in depth see light only go threw water so deep so when the drop happen the weeds some times stop depending on clarity... any how you got the river lake Michigan and a few other area you can fish if you think about it by the way get a good foam bucket and change the water on those minnows often and add ice to them to keep them cool so they don't spoil...the float I said early will help cast those minnows a mile so you don't have to hover above them and get noticed...

for steel head depending on wind direction...
also try if you got long rods a pyramid sinker like 3-10 ounce sinker and plunk it in the sand and set the rod in a holder like pvc pipe and a metal rod .. and slide a bobber on a long leader down the main line  and spawn bag with either spawn or shrimp in them on a octopus hook small like a size 10  we get shrimp from pet food isle and mix it with spawn... then you can sit and fish with a bell on or watch the rod tips  we all net are own alewife's up here but not sure if it is legal there...  so check all regs on all tactics before you do it! cause my Michigan regs are different then yours!       

crappiecrusher34

« Reply #7 on: Jul 23, 2016, 08:47 PM »
Crappies are fired up. Its hot but so is the bite. Was at cat this morning and Waveland tonite. We landed some nice fish today and many small fish. Bite was none stop all day. Minnows and jigs they were taking anything . Fish suspend down 10 to 13 ft both lakes. All whites on catarack. And all blacks on waveland . Biggest of the day 1.65 black. There in feed mode. Go get them boys.

tater140

« Reply #8 on: Jul 24, 2016, 06:00 PM »
The creeks have been real low. They need a bunch of rain. Good luck. Hope you find a few staggers. Not sure if you ever fish single beads like the peach colored 8mm but during slow times those things work great.
I"m not a very accomplished salmon fisherman, but i will be giving it a good try.  I have only been there one time last fall and we fished spinners mainly.  Do you have any examples of the 8mm beads?   

ftwwalleye

« Reply #9 on: Jul 24, 2016, 06:38 PM »
I"m not a very accomplished salmon fisherman, but i will be giving it a good try.  I have only been there one time last fall and we fished spinners mainly.  Do you have any examples of the 8mm beads?   

I like natural peach. You peg with a toothpick or rubber bead peg. During pressuring times these single drifting eggs in the water cause strikes. I use the great lakes steelhead company beads or kype fish beads. You can get variety packs cheap and you don't even get stinky hands from bait. Also almost always corner mouth hook too.

boondox

« Reply #10 on: Jul 24, 2016, 07:02 PM »
if salmon fishing try the 8 mm and 6mm trout beads from troutbeads.com or fishusa.com I by the glo in the dark peach and have had great success on it at night.. lake Michigan is a deeper water basin then most may think light penetrates maybe 20 foot well and most salmon sit well below 50 -70 foot down. and they attack on light shimmering off the bait fish actually uvb and vua rays   so blues and other hues are what they look for.. during early season they will hit a glo bead cause there still going after the natural glow of the light shimmer and think they can do that always try fishing at night no mater what you do either off the pier or etc...steel head do the same thing so keep it in mind...that's why I got glo foam pellets for my spawn sacks...  till later In the season then all they hit is orange were we fish... if you look at a salmon they small pupils in there eyes meaning they hunt and eat at night.. when salmon season come there not eating there just crushing eggs with there Tung a territoriality type thing against other fish the reason there not eating is there throat swells shut there is a mistake between the two.. but even a grab and run and crush is still a take... I like octopus hooks beast and will bend them a tad more open side ways so when pressed with a Tung it sticks them more...    and they carry it up stream so you can detect the take and set the hook.... I usually swinging a 3/8 or 1/2 ounce weight on a three way with a bead or fly on the other open spot on the three way... and have a second rod rigged with a float and bead... for the slower drift and the faster drifts I swing..       

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Jul 24, 2016, 10:09 PM »
bee night fishing also because of the heat.  was killing the trout at oliver untill the moon messed it up.  at least thats my excuse. lol  not much trouble limiting out with 2 kids in tow.  size isnt much.  a couple 16-18" the rest runts.

if you go, watch for the black toon!  it almost run us over flying around at night.  sounded like drunk kids on daddy's boat.

Hooking into any browns at all?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

indianahooker

« Reply #12 on: Jul 25, 2016, 12:22 PM »
 no none

ftwwalleye

« Reply #13 on: Jul 25, 2016, 04:01 PM »
no none

You trolling at night or bobber fishing with lanterns. I've been wanting to get out abd try but didn't know if trolling at night was successful

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Jul 25, 2016, 11:08 PM »
no none

If the lake is like it was years ago when I fished it heavy the bows are suspended while the browns are bottom oriented. May explain why you're not getting any browns. There were a good number stocked last year if I remember right. 5000 I believe along with 3000 rainbows.

Interestingly when I fished a lake in Massachusetts on vaca a few years ago the bows were on the bottom and the browns were suspend. Go figure.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.