FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: whats up with the new regs?  (Read 5026 times)

indianahooker

whats up with the new regs?
« on: Jul 23, 2016, 10:43 AM »
anyone heard? has there been any decision on what  30cal. rifle cartridges will be allowed for hunting deer, this year?  last i heard, it was up for discussion.  getting close here, and would think they would have something worked out.

indianahooker

Re: whats up with the new regs?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2016, 11:41 AM »
found this after some searching.

http://www.in.gov/activecalendar_dnr/EventList.aspx?view=EventDetails&eventidn=8974&information_id=18905&type=&syndicate=syndicate

be some AK sounds in the deer woods this year i guess.  do the make hunter orange BP vests? lol

netminder34

« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2016, 01:34 PM »
It doesnt specify in that link but the law is on Private land only I believe.  Cant figure how they let the .300 Mag and Short Mag in there since there are no Moose or Elk in Indiana.  We will still do most of our hunting with our bows and muzzleloaders, but may brush off the 30-30 for a day or two in the field again.

trophytaker1

« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2016, 05:55 PM »
bow only. dont need a gun to get a deer

rivereddy

« Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2016, 08:17 PM »
Short story (which it ain't)  any and only .25 and .30 caliber bullets are legal.  I believe the .300 Win mag and the Holland and Holland .300 which is
a round used in Africa for big game falls in that category.  Private ground only/ rumor - must be at least 10 off ground and shooting down. pistol is still a cluster of regulations. How many folks do you know that own enough land to cover a 6 mile radius?  A house in, I believe, Shelbyville took a round the other day.  Last fall a random 30 cal made it about 1/2 way through a house in Brownsburg.  I'll hold my tongue.....

re

High Flags

« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2016, 09:08 PM »
I'm with rivereddy   no rolling hills in my neck of the woods.....flat lands with vinyl siding and drywall .  Really how much fire power do you need unless your hunting from a plane.

indianahooker

« Reply #6 on: Jul 26, 2016, 04:44 AM »
you forgot the blue foam and insulation HT. LOL

a couple hundred FPS shouldnt make that big of a difference. we already had people in the woods with these cartridges for years.  the problem i see, is in the people.  a lot more people out there with ak n sks rifles already, and some never hunted in their lives. they can get a tag and if they gain permission, its on.  "buck fever blasting" explodes into reality. 122gr slugs whizzing everywhere! lol thats whats dangerous about this law.

that being said, i still support the law.(although the caliber deal is baffling!) the law is kinda like a 3000$ fish finder, now even the ignorant can score.  ;D

what i find really baffling is the doe tags.  populations are way down in a lot of the areas around here already.  IMO, time to shut down, is long overdue. whats your thoughts on that?  has it affected the population where you hunt?

bigr

« Reply #7 on: Jul 26, 2016, 09:10 AM »
I can remember the stories of the 200 yr shot with open sights using the old muzzleloaders that had a short delay between trigger and explosion. The 300 hundred yard 12 gauge slug kill. They actually happened and people let the lead sling emptying out and then reloading and shooting some more at something that was so far away it didn't even move. I'm sure I'll hear about the 1000 yr shot now because they can. If you see a deer now you'll be able to shoot is what many will believe and do. These new gun laws are stupid. They'll be more idiots in the field than ever and more deer and other animals will be maimed. You hit something at over a hundred yards and it don't drop or atleast indicate that you hit it most don't bother to even check. And even if it does let you know you hit it finding a blood trail is tough if you don't have that much experience. A two shot law should have been imposed. The 100 acre plot we hunt we find more dead deer after the season than our group ever kills and we're not selective on the harvest. I expect our finds to increase this year. Don't fall out of your tree laughing at the sound of a flurry of rounds and remember to duck behind the nearest big tree if you think they are pointed in your direction, might take a few seconds to get to you.   

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Jul 26, 2016, 09:21 AM »
I'm always leery of the dog in the yard on opening morning. Normally on the lease but definitely that morning. My last dog was a large brown dog...

Read about a woman that was hanging her laundry on the line, in I believe it was New Hampshire, and a guy from a great distance with a high powered rifle mistook some white laundry as a whitetail's tail flagging. Killed her.

Stopped deer hunting years ago. Got tired of all the trespassers and slob hunters. Even stopped mounting deer as a taxidermist.

At least with fishing if you don't have the skill or patience you give up. With deer hunting every idiot and his brother is out there opening morning.

That said bowhunting by novices that don't take the time to get good at is my biggest gripe. I've seen people buy a bow the day before the season that can't hit a target. Then you get deer walking around with arrows in their ***, eye, legs, etc.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bigr

« Reply #9 on: Jul 26, 2016, 01:38 PM »
Right on Taxid. I'm a life time hunter of all types and I really get piss-- when I hear other self proclaimed hunters that say they can kill anything within a certain distance and practice shooting at those distances and set up there stands so they can shoot those distances and then they spin all season shooting at twice as many deer only to end up wounding and tracking far to many. Anyone that claims they can consistently kill deer beyond thirty yards with almost never a miss is full of it. Talking bow. Gun,100 yrds. Why give hunters, not the right word, persons in the field more choices to make even worse shots.

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Jul 26, 2016, 07:08 PM »
Right on Taxid. I'm a life time hunter of all types and I really get ****censored word****-- when I hear other self proclaimed hunters that say they can kill anything within a certain distance and practice shooting at those distances and set up there stands so they can shoot those distances and then they spin all season shooting at twice as many deer only to end up wounding and tracking far to many. Anyone that claims they can consistently kill deer beyond thirty yards with almost never a miss is full of it. Talking bow. Gun,100 yrds. Why give hunters, not the right word, persons in the field more choices to make even worse shots.

Amen to that bigr!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

netminder34

« Reply #11 on: Jul 27, 2016, 10:44 AM »
Wow I guess the Deer in my section of the woods have not gotten the memo to present the 10yd broadside shot, or just climb in the back of my truck when they see it parked next to the fence.  BigR, you should be a little more appreciative of the Hunters that actually take the time to study, practice and be confident in the shots they take wheter it be a shot you are comfortable with or not.  I have had my share of close encounters and am patient to wait for a shot that sometimes doesn't present itself, but also practice the harder shots as I know sometimes those are the only shots I may get for the season to provide for my family.  Hunting from the East to West coasts, Mountains to the Plains and Farmlands, have seen many situations where if I hadn't practiced the shot I would not have taken the shot or made the shot.  Even the best of hunters have a bad moment in their memory bank, especially Bow Hunters, where something did not click as practiced but practice does make a huge difference in being able to execute anything in life.  For those that don't practice and just go buy a weapon without understanding their own or its capabilities well there is a problem there.  Fortunately for me I had the upbringing and experiences that helped me understand what practicing does and have tried to pass that along to those I meet through hunting and fishing.

Maybe I shouldn't take things so personal and know this wasn't a personal shot at me since we have never met.  But, more to show there are people out there that do still take hunting, fishing and weapons personal and not for granted, as I wish everyone does but know that is not the case unfortunately.  There are way to many groups out there trying to take what we have away from us and bickering will allow those groups to win.

Bronzebacker

• A-BOMB on I.S.
« Reply #12 on: Jul 27, 2016, 11:20 AM »
ok...i'll bite!
well i just got the new Tikka T3 (grey laminate/stainless..) the scope mounted and ready!  never had the need for one but it was a good excuse to buy a new gun.  i just went with a simple .308 and now getting it all dialed in.
do i need it?  no not really, as the ruger 77/44 in 44 mag has plenty of range and knock down power.  however what it does provide me is another tool to harvest game , legally, in a more efficient and more ethical manner.  will i shoot out to 300 yds...probly not.  am i accurate and proficient out that far...YES.
is it ethical? yes.  not many slug guns are shooting sub  3/4" groups at 100 yds and hunting is hitting what you aim at. so better energy, better accuracy means more ethical harvesting.  will some ya hoos do some stupid things...maybe, but they could be doing it with a slug, a pistol or a riffle currently.
to many people are forgetting about GRAVITY and bullet drop. kids, bullets dont fly flat forever.. at 400 yds if taking a heart lung shot a .308 has 42" inches of bullet drop and the target is about 38" high on a normal deer....that bullet is in the dirt, scrubbing energy. just the same as a muzzloader or .357 hoosier rifle ( legal currently) does.
could it ricochet? yes, kill someone..yes possible...yes, but the odds... if your that worried then you should be buying powerball tickets cause more people are winning that than getting struck by strays.
its just another tool, if ya dont like it dont do it.  will i dump a doe for the freezer at 300 yds...maybe  if given a proper shot.  
for years alot of guys have been wounding deer, losing deer, cripling deer because of limitations in legal weapons.  
would have like to see a ban on semi-autos
but hey who am i to say....
im just one of those idiots taking to the woods this fall with a high powered rifle...just because i can.

and you bow boys...
just saying that even on your best day a razor on a stick is at the far end of the ethical means of taking game.  
whats the rule of thumb...wait about a half hour so it can bleed out and then hope you dont jump it.....just saying. but its legal so have at it. 70 percent recovery rates..
my longest track has been 15 yds....

wallin

« Reply #13 on: Jul 27, 2016, 02:30 PM »
Well said.
Wallin

High Tide

« Reply #14 on: Jul 27, 2016, 08:22 PM »
The questions is WHY do we need all these new regulations, are deer out of control? Guess it depends on who you ask... Crossbows, rifles, 8 does permits... I foresee snares and bait in our future. Sportsman think they're winning when the writing is on the wall... The state wants the deer herd as small as possible.  Nothing like getting close (30yards) to mature animal because you out smarted them. I'm a bow guy, I'll admit it... And it's for one reason, that most gun only hunters usually never get to experience, and that's a woods that is close to "natural", which means all animals act normally and you get to see so much of God's amazing creations in their natural state. Then just like every year the second day of gun season puts 90% of the animals  nocturnal and the woods get boring, and I switch to fishing and get the pure enjoyment of quite water. I see myself moving from this state in the next 10 years, and never looking back... And that's unfortunate.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.