FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Boat Trailer Wiring Headaches.  (Read 5373 times)

taxid

Boat Trailer Wiring Headaches.
« on: Jul 27, 2016, 06:32 PM »
Replaced the wiring in my boat trailer just as the original wiring, same colors, and even soldered the connections with the lights. Ground wire has a good connection, and sanded all the lightbulb contact points, and even tried brand new bulbs. Dumbfounded to find it doesn't work right. Lights on one side work and don't on the other. Turn signals don't work. My dad who worked with electricity for a living for 21 years, and helped me, was dumbfounded too and suggested it was the vehicle.

Anyway got fed up and took it to a garage. According to them it is the hauling wiring package in the vehicle that is the problem, and they have to order something, and I will have to make another appointment.

Anybody ever hear of this?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

• I'd rather be fishing!
Re: Boat Trailer Wiring Headaches.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2016, 06:43 PM »
why did you replace the wiring in the first place?

they make a device that plugs into your vehicles connector to test the leads to it. harbor freight sells one also.
4$
http://www.harborfreight.com/four-way-trailer-light-tester-66526.html

did your dad check that end of the wiring?

lowaccord66

« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2016, 06:58 PM »
Factory wiring could be an issue but its also cheap to add a 4 plug trailer harness off the rear brakes too.  The converter on my truck that goes from factory to female 4 plug has the test right on it.  I think it was 20 bucks....

If you have a trolling battery lying around use it to test your wiring job indepemdant of your vehicle if you want to be sure its not your fault!   ;D

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Jul 27, 2016, 07:03 PM »
why did you replace the wiring in the first place?

Exposed wire was getting old and falling apart although internally it turned out looking pretty decent.

they make a device that plugs into your vehicles connector to test the leads to it. harbor freight sells one also.
4$
http://www.harborfreight.com/four-way-trailer-light-tester-66526.html

Interesting.

did your dad check that end of the wiring?

We just replaced the wire with the same colors and plugged it in.

Truthfully don't know if it ever worked correctly with this vehicle. I think I got the vehicle about the time I left the boat in the garage for several years.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Jul 27, 2016, 07:05 PM »
Factory wiring could be an issue but its also cheap to add a 4 plug trailer harness off the rear brakes too.  The converter on my truck that goes from factory to female 4 plug has the test right on it.  I think it was 20 bucks....

If you have a trolling battery lying around use it to test your wiring job indepemdant of your vehicle if you want to be sure its not your fault!   ;D

Make sense.

lobsterman

« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2016, 06:59 AM »
get a set of leads from harbor freight and run a separate ground wire then you will have the hitch, the lights and the separate ground cant beat 3 ground sources thats most always the trouble

Mac Attack

« Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2016, 08:23 AM »
get a set of leads from harbor freight and run a separate ground wire then you will have the hitch, the lights and the separate ground cant beat 3 ground sources thats most always the trouble

X2

fishlessman

« Reply #7 on: Jul 28, 2016, 09:19 AM »
when i installed the inline section on the truck conectors i remember adding an additional ground wire on the passengeer side on the truck to get it to work. it is an older dodge, was supposed to be a 5 minute install ;D

taxid

« Reply #8 on: Jul 28, 2016, 02:54 PM »
Guys I'm just going to have the garage fix it. Time is money for me as I'm self employed. I'd rather have them pull their hair out and spend more time in my shop making money. I wasted a whole day on it already.

UglyStik

« Reply #9 on: Jul 28, 2016, 06:46 PM »
I know you already said you are getting it done to save grief and I get that, but... maybe for other's benefit here are my experiences.
It is best to buy a kit designed specifically for the vehicle it is installed on. Generic ones can do exactly what you are experiencing.
Water is the enemy, but unavoidable as you will be submerging the trailer launch. Bulbs will get wet & blow no matter how good the gaskets around them or how much grease you put around them. Switch to LED bulbs if possible and this is solved.
You should to test trailer lights every time you take it out for safety. If you do find something is out a good tool to trace problems is a continuity tester. Basically you just stab the pointy end into any positive or 'hot' wire and then ground the alligator clip. If wire has power the little bulb on tester will light. Often times it is a bad ground as someone pointed out.
Make yourself a little kit box with tester, extra bulbs, fuses, sand paper to fix ground points etc, and you will be a pro in no time.
Here is an example of a tester from Lowes:
http://www.lowes.com/pd/KD-Tools-Multimeter-Meter/4740304?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA_ONLY-_-FashionFixtures-_-SosAtg-CeilingFansOutdoorLi-_-4740304:KD_Tools&CAWELAID=&kpid=4740304&CAGPSPN=pla&k_clickID=354951af-90b9-4ca8-b303-98d343b02e89
Harbor Freight probably has decent inexpensive ones too.
One word of caution, you will quickly become proficient at this and your friends or folks at the boat launch will expect you to fix theirs.

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Jul 28, 2016, 07:05 PM »
I know you already said you are getting it done to save grief and I get that, but... maybe for other's benefit here are my experiences.
It is best to buy a kit designed specifically for the vehicle it is installed on. Generic ones can do exactly what you are experiencing.
Water is the enemy, but unavoidable as you will be submerging the trailer launch. Bulbs will get wet & blow no matter how good the gaskets around them or how much grease you put around them. Switch to LED bulbs if possible and this is solved.
You should to test trailer lights every time you take it out for safety. If you do find something is out a good tool to trace problems is a continuity tester. Basically you just stab the pointy end into any positive or 'hot' wire and then ground the alligator clip. If wire has power the little bulb on tester will light. Often times it is a bad ground as someone pointed out.
Make yourself a little kit box with tester, extra bulbs, fuses, sand paper to fix ground points etc, and you will be a pro in no time.
Here is an example of a tester from Lowes:
http://www.lowes.com/pd/KD-Tools-Multimeter-Meter/4740304?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA_ONLY-_-FashionFixtures-_-SosAtg-CeilingFansOutdoorLi-_-4740304:KD_Tools&CAWELAID=&kpid=4740304&CAGPSPN=pla&k_clickID=354951af-90b9-4ca8-b303-98d343b02e89
Harbor Freight probably has decent inexpensive ones too.
One word of caution, you will quickly become proficient at this and your friends or folks at the boat launch will expect you to fix theirs.

Excellent advice!

boondox

« Reply #11 on: Jul 28, 2016, 08:30 PM »
I know you solder but did you use that heat shrink tubing ?  I know the problem lied with the autos wireing but here is another tip...Also I know you think the ground is good enough but this is just a suggestion what about running a series loop around to each light off the ground wire of the trailer?? Had to do that to my dad's cause the paint is alway the worst and you will always get flustered when a problem comes up cause of nor sanding well enough threw the paint etc.. that why I ran a ground wire to each light on my dad's trailer he bought at harbor freight for hauling junk around..   the hf trailer is a foldable trailer and the pivot points are well painted and cause a no ground condition no mater what you do like cause you don't want to remove lots of paint like a rust issue..that why the extra wire for ground around to each light.... any how it frustrating when problems arise just don't make it worst by going in to it deeper like ripping the vehicles wiring out..keep it simple stupid is how I like it... by would that be a dealer issue if it is s newer car??

fishlessman

« Reply #12 on: Jul 29, 2016, 08:15 AM »
Guys I'm just going to have the garage fix it. Time is money for me as I'm self employed. I'd rather have them pull their hair out and spend more time in my shop making money. I wasted a whole day on it already.

sometimes its way simpler to just pay the 30 bucks to have the plug and play electronics just installed. mine was only a half day with it sitting in my work bay ;D

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #13 on: Jul 29, 2016, 01:36 PM »
I've fixed more trailer lights for friends than I can remember.

This simple diagram tells it all. A simple 12v tester connected to a good ground will tell you everything you need to know about what's  working and what's not.

Most new vehicles have provisions for an adaptor that's well worth the investment.

Your choice to take it to a garage for repair is probably a good one.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #14 on: Jul 29, 2016, 01:55 PM »
I want to add one more thing Bob.
Something that Boon mentioned.
I would take that white ground wire to each light.
Trying to run the ground through the frame is tough on a lot of trailers.
Paint, tilt-beds, rust and corrosion, etc. all make grounding difficult at best.
And NEVER ground through the ball!!!!!

Mac

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.