FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Boat Trailer Wiring Headaches.  (Read 5375 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: Boat Trailer Wiring Headaches.
« Reply #15 on: Jul 29, 2016, 02:31 PM »
Well that helps if there's provisions for an additional geound at the lights. Generally, bolting the light to the frame  and assuring a cold geound connection to the fame is sufficient.

On another note, if you haven't switched to waterproof LED lighting........do it! I'm going on 10 seasons on mine without a problem. I've replaced the plug on both trailer and truck a couple times. They get corroded eventually. Dielectric grease helps but not forever.

Rg

If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

taxid

« Reply #16 on: Jul 29, 2016, 10:02 PM »
I've fixed more trailer lights for friends than I can remember.

This simple diagram tells it all. A simple 12v tester connected to a good ground will tell you everything you need to know about what's  working and what's not.

Most new vehicles have provisions for an adaptor that's well worth the investment.

Your choice to take it to a garage for repair is probably a good one.

Rg

That diagram came with my new harness. Didn't help.  ;D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #17 on: Jul 30, 2016, 03:53 PM »
Sorry ;D

If I were nearby, I'd fix it for you.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

taxid

« Reply #18 on: Jul 30, 2016, 09:09 PM »
Sorry ;D

If I were nearby, I'd fix it for you.

Rg

Thanks for the thought!  ;D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

rivereddy

« Reply #19 on: Aug 18, 2016, 07:29 AM »
There's almost nothing more frustrating than boat trailer lights.  It looks like you've gotten plenty or good advice and
your problem is solved.  I want to add another possibility for someone else reading this thread.  I went through pretty
much the same deal you did - even replaced the harness with no luck.  I took it to the local trailer guy, who, promptly
raised the hood, opened the fuse box and replaced the bad fuse........ Sort of like "Did you make sure it was plugged in?"

Happiness is ONE good trailer light on an 18 degree morning hunting ducks.......

rivereddy

rivereddy

« Reply #20 on: Aug 18, 2016, 07:33 AM »
I saw one good report about LEDs,  Anyone else use them?...

fish on

rivereddy

Mac Attack

« Reply #21 on: Aug 18, 2016, 09:24 AM »

fish on

rivereddy

Yes
Won't ever use anything else on a boat trailer
Ever!

massNtrash

« Reply #22 on: Aug 18, 2016, 12:19 PM »

fish on

rivereddy

Yep it is the only way to go! I never unplug my lights while I am backing in and haven't had any issues. I even have some super bright submersible led backup lights on my trailer.

Rippin Lips!

taxid

« Reply #23 on: Aug 22, 2016, 03:35 PM »
Wow those are bright!

Yeah everything works fine now. Look forward to getting out at least once a week especially now that temps are more bearable. What to get to know three or four local lakes really well. I have forty lakes within 20 minutes! One I can catch a nice mess of bluegills in the spring and summer easily now. Shouldn't be an issue in fall and winter either.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.