FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Dog days trout  (Read 2106 times)

plord

Dog days trout
« on: Jul 27, 2016, 09:06 PM »
Well I got tired of having no clue how to fish the rivers around here so I hired some help over the last week (I am on vacation with the house to myself...gotta stay busy somehow!).

Saturday, went south and got skunked on some tribs of the Winooski.  No fault of Brian my excellent guide, that day was part of my learning experience.  We got some rises but I am pretty sure I pulled the fly out of the mouth of every fish.  Too anxious.  Monday and Tuesday I headed the other way, up to the Lamoille watershed to hit a bunch of tribs, again guided so I wouldn't waste the day on dead stretches.  The Lamoille itself was too high and muddy from the rains, but the feeders were all in good shape and cold enough to fish.  I have to say: I think I had THE Classic New England Trout Fishing Experience (TM).  I pulled in all 3 trout species, all of them wild, most of them on the surface (hoppers), one on a nymph, one on a woolly bugger.  The biggest was only a foot or so but hey: wild trout!  on dry flies!  Breaking the skunk on *both* fly rods I built last winter!  After so much time striking out, or taking advantage of dumb stockies, this was all a revelation.  It was true prospecting; "if the first cast and drift isn't good and soft, don't bother with a second, move to the next pool" kind of thing.  I've been reading about that kind of trout fishing for literally decades and never managed to piece everything together.  After we completed the trifecta with a lovely colorful rainbow, we went looking for deeper holes and bigger fish; I had some takes but didn't get any of them into the net.  Tuesday was more of the same, on different stretches of the same rivers. 

I pick up my youngest tomorrow afternoon; I think we will do some evening fly casting practice on the lake, then head back North this weekend.  Hopefully the weather will be good and the streams will be cold!

crayfish2

Re: Dog days trout
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2016, 10:34 AM »
That's awesome, plord!!  Glad you found some fish and sounds like you had a great time.  I've never been much of a fly fisher.  I used to tie LOTS of flies (~35yrs ago), but most were tied to sell to my uncles and my Dad's friends.  If the boat fishing ever gets old I'll have to give flyfishing another shot.

Fish Farmer

« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2016, 11:56 AM »
I have to say: I think I had THE Classic New England Trout Fishing Experience (TM).  I pulled in all 3 trout species, all of them wild, most of them on the surface (hoppers), one on a nymph, one on a woolly bugger.  The biggest was only a foot or so but hey: wild trout!  on dry flies!  

Fish the June Caddis Hatch THEN you'll be hooked!

I'd be thinking about "August Snowfall", the big white mayflies (coffin flies). It can look like snow fall in the evenings. Also the Isonychia (slate drake) mayflies are worth having in the box come August/September/October, and some prince nymphs for stripping in fast water.

plord

« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2016, 09:36 PM »
Thanks FF.  Prince nymphs I have; Isonychia, I'll need to tie some.

Crayfish, when I was home cleaning out my dad's fishing room I found box after box after box of flies that I tied as a teen.  Hundreds.  Most of them just vaguely buggy things, a few patterns that I liked (Royal Wulf, Prince, Muddler in many variations).  My thought now is Holy cow, I thought I was super busy with extracurriculars in HS but apparently I had unlimited free time back then!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.