FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Going to head out to Wawasee tonight and see if I can pick up any crappies  (Read 4270 times)

taxid

Anybody else here fish for them at Wawa at night this time of year? Was going to cruise around with the fish finder and find suspended fish and drift or anchor under a light using crappie size minnows with slip bobbers.

I know other lakes I can do well but since the lake is only 10 minutes from the house…

Will report back.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Daybreak

You will probably have some company.  I have never done this myself, but know of some guys that do it pretty successfully.  Hope you get into a nice mess.
LUND - The Ultimate Fishing Experience!

Boomer

I use to fish Hardy Lake and Brookville Resivoir for catfish and hang a fluoresent light over the side. Throw two rods out for catfish and jig over the side for crappie. At Brookville sometimes white bass would show up.

taxid

Wawa was a little choppy tonight at the hatchery road ramp so I went to Eagle instead. Almost dead calm on Eagle. Not even a bite on Eagle though in two hours of fishing.  Was marking fish in the thermocline from 12 to 15 feet suspended over 25 to 28 feet of water. I'm thinking they may have been bluegills or the fish finder was erroneously marking the thermocline anomalies as fish. Or since it was post cold front… Or any other excuse I can come up with.  ;D

Water surface temp was 83 F.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

staubsaugen

I've been wanting to try this for a long time, but haven't yet been able to pull off a night trip. I love how Eagle is nestled in and stays relatively calm even when there is wind. Did catch one decent crappie there the other evening trolling rapalas.  Usually come home with a handful of decent gills caught in 12-15 fow just off the bottom, although last time most were shorts with only two keepers.

Oliver Lake this morning with a good friend.  Hope to send him home with a limit of trout.

Boomer

This is a little late but whenever I get a chance to fish at night - all night - at this time of year I like to plan a trip to coincide with the Perseid Meteor Shower. A little extra to watch and keep you awake.

taxid

that shouldnt be a problem at oliver.  not many will be over 20" though.  we have been getting about 20 little trout for every 20+incher.

No browns though eh? May have to get over there and do some back trolling close to the bottom to see if I can pick one up. The smaller suspended bows just don't do anything for me.

At least the DNR is feeding the few monster pike in the lake. 

taxid

Going to hit Eagle or Sparta this afternoon with some crickets or red worms by drifting for suspended bluegills. Never fished Sparta in the summer but I'm intrigued by the fact that the lake is fairly small (31 acres) and max depth is only 10 feet deep.

I do have to wonder if it may have had a fish kill back in winter 2014 which can be good or bad for fish prospects. On one hand the small fish that survived may not be very big yet, or they may have experienced explosive growth if their numbers were diminished. Perhaps it never did fishkill?

I guess I'll find out.

staubsaugen

Struck out totally on Oliver/Olin this morning.  Fished three hours in several spots that have produced in the past and got nothing.  Two little bites that felt more like bluegill than trout... Oh well, will have to try again soon.

taxid

Struck out totally on Oliver/Olin this morning.  Fished three hours in several spots that have produced in the past and got nothing.  Two little bites that felt more like bluegill than trout... Oh well, will have to try again soon.

What technique were you using? Slip bobbers or trolling?

staubsaugen

What technique were you using? Slip bobbers or trolling?
slip bobbers... and tight lining the drop off

taxid

slip bobbers... and tight lining the drop off

Did you mark any? The numbers have probably been fished down quite a bit as I've heard reports of heavy pressure this summer. You need something to concentrate them like a light at night to pick up a few. I have noticed in years past though that fishing always slows down for the trout later in the summer. Not sure why. Could be D.O. levels are getting marginal and the fish become lethargic.

taxid

we like to set up on points too.  a natural funnel area in a way.  finding a bunch of corn in them, so that is being chummed, in good quantity, by some.  after about 2 hours of the light, they get pretty thick under you.  lol   

I just wish some people wouldn't dump so much of the corn. I've seen people dump canning jars full of it.

taxid

thats nothing. lol  ive seen them dip it out by the scoops.  five gallon bucket full a night!  when they limit, out they dump it in, and pull anchor.  the fish we clean are packed to the vent with it.

Have you ever seen what it looks like on the bottom after a few days? Coated with mold and really nasty looking. If a trout ate that it would probably die. Not sure if they would be hungry enough to, but I do know water mold is bad news for fish and mold in fish feed can be lethal. In the least it's an oxygen consumer.

Out east there are people that rail against using corn as chum as they say the trout can't digest it well and it kills them. But I haven't seen anything to verify that. I do know as someone that raises trout, I would never feed them corn. Nothing nutritional in it, and too many carbs in a trout's diet is bad news.

Boomer

Do you ever see other species showing up to the corn?  I know people that use corn for carp and corn mash - slightly fermented - to attract catfish.

I use to use corn on stocked trout below Brookville Dam but got away from that when I found out spinners caught more fish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.