FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Best fish finder under $400?  (Read 5113 times)

skinny40

Best fish finder under $400?
« on: Aug 15, 2016, 12:01 PM »
Just looking to get my new boat setup. So I need a new fish finder. I'd like the GPS map and color and a flasher mode. Other than that it would be nice to just have a reliable depth finder that shows fish when they are there and doesn't mark ghost fish. What is an easy to use fish finder under 400?

filetandrelease

Re: Best fish finder under $400?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2016, 02:47 PM »

Just my preference , but go to the factory outlet stores of lowrance and humming bird
The hummy helix 5 has a combo unit for 359.00
I have lowrance on the boat , for ice I use lowrance and hummingbird , they all do the job very well

JDK

« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2016, 03:31 PM »
I don't know if it is the best but I have the Humminbird Helix 5 and like it a lot.  Very easy to use. 
# SAND

boondox

« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2016, 07:20 PM »
Seen a elite 5 lowrance for around 275 at gandermtn.com might be woth getting? It does have gps mapping but the maps are about 100 each...
http://m.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Lowrance-Elite-5-HDI-Fishfinder/Chartplotter-With-Suncover&i=922116

mike304

« Reply #4 on: Aug 16, 2016, 04:14 PM »
I'm not sure which one it was but I'm almost positive I saw a Helix in Fish307 for $169 today

skinny40

« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2016, 08:38 PM »
Ahh yes!!!! Fish307.com......not sure what one I'm getting yet but thanks for pointing out a sponsor..... Good call. I'll be giving them my money for sure.  ;)

striperhound

« Reply #6 on: Aug 16, 2016, 08:54 PM »
I have a lowrance elite 5 generation 1 with lake insight maps awesome little unit no transducer I am selling used. $250 if interested

boondox

« Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2016, 11:34 PM »
Ahh yes!!!! Fish307.com......not sure what one I'm getting yet but thanks for pointing out a sponsor..... Good call. I'll be giving them my money for sure.  ;)

Wish I would have know it was there for you good job on buying from a sponsor if an thing!!!

greenhornet73

« Reply #8 on: Aug 27, 2016, 06:01 PM »
I really like the lowrance units.  I have a Mark 4 Chirp on my kayak for under $200 and if I had the money I would have gone with the Elite in color only for easier thermocline readouts.  It has flasher mode, surface temp, split screen, lake maps, GPS and route tracking and is pretty easy to get set up.  Made a huge difference for trolling and looking forward to trying it out ice fishing this year since it scans down to 300' so i can use it for lake trout jigging instead of my Vex.

Mac Attack

« Reply #9 on: Aug 27, 2016, 08:14 PM »
Wish I would have know it was there for you good job on buying from a sponsor if an thing!!!

d**n, your post give me a headache.

lol

:D

steelie1975

« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2016, 10:31 PM »
fyi the helix models except the lower one come with gps but no mapping as far as contours, bouys etc. Have to add a lakemaster chip for 125$ or a navionics chip to get  that stuff. Best deal i found out there was the first gen elite 5 hdi models with lake insight built in for 239.99 afterrebate. thats full package with xducer and suncover
Steelieslayer

fishlessman

« Reply #11 on: Aug 30, 2016, 07:29 AM »
took me forever to find the right unit, theres just too much going on with these.  i bought a lowrance hds 7. it was ok until i bought the navonics chip with my lake in high def. its all about which unit can give the best lake mapping on your particular lake, thats more important than the fish finder side of the screen and most of those are satisfactory. my only complaint with the lowrance is its needy, im consistently changing the settings with lake depth, not happy just leaving it in auto mode. pretty sure thats the same with most units. seems to me i saw my unit priced around 500 earlier this year, probably not available now with all the upgrades.

Mac Attack

« Reply #12 on: Aug 30, 2016, 08:33 AM »
Another month or two you will see huge discounts.
And it typically continues through most of the winter.
Manufacturers selling off older technology to make room for the new.
Also dumping factory re-manufactured units will full warranties.
If you need something..........and can wait, do so.
Then keep you eyes open weekly.
Cabelas has a bargain cave area on the website where they have things.
Also check the manufacturer's websites.
Oftentimes you will see something there.
Last winter I picked up a factory re-manufactured HDS-8 Gen2 for $649 from Cabelas.
I love it.
And it came with the full factory warranty.

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #13 on: Oct 08, 2016, 04:09 PM »
 Question: Does anyone know if the Navonics + micro SD card will work in an Elite-5 HDI. I have the Elite-4 Chirp that runs the chip fine, but it doesn't seem to work in the HDI unit. Just bought the 5 at a huge discount hoping to move to the bigger screen.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.