FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: crappie light  (Read 5503 times)

crappieghost

crappie light
« on: Aug 15, 2016, 03:34 PM »
Made a submerge able crappie light a couple weeks ago HD green led light did not have enough weight to sink it so half of the light was above  water. We did good that week so did the same did good again. Have anybody else try it like this. Was wondering how you did.

Gartoon

Re: crappie light
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2016, 06:41 AM »
Bought a pair of hd green on E-Bay ran them down above thermokline.
Seemed to work pretty good .
[/URL][/img]

tater140

« Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 2016, 07:29 AM »
Here is a few pictures of some lights I made a few years back.  I have used them lots, about time to make a few more.  These I didn't have to worry about sinking a sealed tube.  My first attempt involved a sealed tube and I lost my good pry bar at the bottom of the lake when the glue let loose   :o  If I remember right the led's weren't too expensive to buy on ebay.  After that i just wired them all together, sealed the connection and then zip tied them around an old broom handle.

Gartoon

« Reply #3 on: Aug 16, 2016, 09:03 AM »
complete light with 15ft cord 27$

bigr

« Reply #4 on: Aug 16, 2016, 11:36 AM »
What color led's do you all think attract best. I know you can buy different color led lights from walmart for lighting decks and whatever in 16ft lengths for $13. They are sealed inside a clear tubing that might need the ends sealed with silicon to make water proof. I would think you could wrap the strand around a 2in pc of pvc or what ever, add weight. You might be able to get them in shorter lengths for half the cost. Might be able to Mcguiver one for less than ten bucks. Whats wrong with my ideal?   

tater140

« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2016, 12:36 PM »
I made some all green, some all white, and others a mix of green and white.  I can't say I have seen one outperform the other.  Yes, any led strips will do if you can find a good deal.   I will say it is harder then I thought to keep a good seal on a tube.  It also takes more weight then I had anticipated.  That's why I went with waterproof led's.  There was no seal or weight issues, just had to seal up the wire connections.  I made 3 lights for around 20 dollars with led's from ebay.  I have used mine for about 4 years now both winter and open water.  Their starting to show some wear and tear.  Two of them I need to re-do the connections since the wires are so thin. 

Boomer

« Reply #6 on: Aug 16, 2016, 01:15 PM »
I assume that you hook these to a 12V battery source?  I have a fluorescent light tube I tape to the gunwale of the boat. Shines white light down into the water. Wait, and they will usually come. 

LEDs must consume so little power over the course of a night of fishing.  Anyone use this setup for ice fishing too?

Gartoon

« Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2016, 02:39 PM »
.  Anyone use this setup for ice fishing too?

not yet but definitely on my list of things to try .

tater140

« Reply #8 on: Aug 16, 2016, 02:59 PM »
Anyone use this setup for ice fishing too?

All the time.  In fact you can get some pretty small batteries to run them with.  I take about 3 lights out there and place them in holes in likely spots then go around and fish them after dark.

crappieghost

« Reply #9 on: Aug 16, 2016, 04:00 PM »
I will send picture later but I got my green led off Amazon for 12$ for 15 foot. I take a 1/2 PVC pipe wrap it around the pipe brought a couple of PVC cap 1-1/4 and the clear tube use on 4 ft light every thing cost around 18$.

Blueultra2

« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2016, 06:37 AM »
Here's the light that I use....  It's 24" and has 480 LED lights.

And here it is in action....

I just received a 5 meter strip of super white lights to make a different style of light to try out. I'll post some pics of it once I'm done with it and have tried it out.

bigr

« Reply #11 on: Aug 17, 2016, 08:46 AM »
Nice picture Blue. Yes should have a fishing show and call it "IF you light it they will come."

staubsaugen

« Reply #12 on: Aug 17, 2016, 03:45 PM »
so what bait/jigs/lures do you all use with these lights? do you catch more than crappie when fishing with them?  what other species? thanks!

Blueultra2

« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2016, 05:05 PM »
so what bait/jigs/lures do you all use with these lights? do you catch more than crappie when fishing with them?  what other species? thanks!

I use gold hooks with minnows. And I've also been told to use jigs that glow. Some people use soft plastics such as tubes.

taxid

« Reply #14 on: Aug 17, 2016, 06:58 PM »

I use crappie size minnows (fatheads).
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.