FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: walleye near savage island  (Read 3075 times)

mudchuck

walleye near savage island
« on: Aug 19, 2016, 01:10 PM »
So I've heard plenty of people say they catch Walleye in the waters around Savage Island, and I've always want to try myself, but have not been equipped with any means of doing so until I purchased a small boat that can motor on over there. I've never actively sought this fish mainly because aside from the usual spring/early summer spawn run they do in the rivers, I've not had any exposure to where/how to fish for them.
I'd like to try, but just don't want to waste precious time/money motoring around trying to fish for them in vain. Would like to do a little night fishing too, since this seems like the ideal time to chase these fish.
My boat isn't fully equipped yet with all the bells & whistles, like a fish finder/GPS or trolling techniques, so I'm limited to understanding depth contour maps and jigging with some limited ability to troll stickbaits.
I'm hoping by posting this, someone will help guide me to a general location (not the smarty pant remarks like Lake Champlain, or Georgia Shore, but give up an area of a contour map like depth and approximate location of a reef etc.), and help me understand what jigheads to use, bait size, type of stickbaits, colors etc... that could put me on these fish.
I can only go as far as the inland sea, and most likely would be launching from Apple Island or Georgia Rec Park, since the water is so low that the launch at Van Everest I practically need to submerge the rear of my car just get the boat off the trailer. (It's not good to have the floorboards soaked and the exhaust completely underwater, been there and don't want to repeat this).
ANY real advice is greatly appreciated and I won't share this info if you divulge something really useful I need to keep to myself.
I have a disabled father in law at home that I assist in taking care of and my time on the water is really limited anymore with his health declining, so getting out on the wate rand getting on a species I've dreamt about catching with good success and not just getting stupid lucky every few years or such would really help me a lot.
Thanks in advance for understanding and sharing!
Mudchuck (Rick)

lowaccord66

Re: walleye near savage island
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2016, 01:53 PM »
Alburg channel might be worth trolling stickbaits through. Although I will say a majority of the eyes I am aware of are caught in Southern NY section of the lake.  However, trolling without the ability to run contours can be very difficult. 

dickbaker

« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2016, 08:44 AM »
 ???  mudchuck,   I've taken a few walleye jigging the deep hole off the beach on the northeast corner of Cedar Island. 
Dick

dickbaker

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 04:46 PM »
 ??? ::)  mudchuck ,   With your new/old boat you should be able to take advantage of the super apple island launch and make the short trip to Cedar and Savage Islands?   While staying on Keeler Bay I read an antique log of a previous camp owner telling about fishing every evening at Savage and Cedar Islands for "lots" of walleye!   
I've jigged them there with minnows but so far nothing big?
Dick

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.