FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: suggestions on spinning reel for salmon  (Read 4880 times)

fishslayer730

suggestions on spinning reel for salmon
« on: Aug 23, 2016, 06:54 AM »
I blow out my ten yr old akoma's last salmon season and  looking to get couple new spinning reels for salmon....any suggestions on a good brand?

stripernut

Re: suggestions on spinning reel for salmon
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2016, 07:00 AM »
Can't go wrong with Shimano Stradics...

boondox

« Reply #2 on: Aug 23, 2016, 07:14 AM »
Shimano!!! I got 4 shimanos they are the best reels out there.. for bruiser's like salmon are some times.. I got solstice 4000 size I use in the rivers and in the st Clair river for white fish  steel and salmon brown's etc..

boondox

« Reply #3 on: Aug 23, 2016, 07:28 AM »
Also the pflueger Trion and presidents are not that bad also dicks sports has 20 off 100 right now... but shimano I think some are excluded or all are not sure on that on the shimano but pfluegers are discounted so just a heads up..

RIVERRAT2

• live to fish
« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2016, 08:54 AM »
Can't go wrong with Shimano Stradics...
2X that
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
try to fish 200 days a year,cut back now,age

Lunch_Box

• Fish on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2016, 10:32 AM »
All of the above mentioned are excellent, also look into the Penn Battle reel, stud reel for around $100.
"livin the dream"
"when the float drops, the BS stops!!!!!!!

boondox

« Reply #6 on: Aug 23, 2016, 01:52 PM »

I am surprised some one said any thing  about penn.. I just bought 4 pursuits 4 warfare's and one fierce 2 live liner and  returned 4 penn 209's and 4 penn 309's all my spinning reels are made awesome...  but the round reel are made like junk that's why I took back 8 penn general purpose reels ... that were made In China now and are made like junk.. but  the spinners are awesome reels..  I was going to recommend the fierce 2 reels and or the small live liner model for pier fishing for salmon.. but was afraid of being bashed cause of the round reels...  any how I am surprised some one else noticed the quality of their spinning reels.. lol's I had to go with the 8000 series pursuit for fishing off the wall I use them for casting s 2 lb weight..for plunking ..

I like the fierce 2's better but of course it has a solid metal body to it.. any how guess I am not alone at still liking a few penn reels.. but some of the othere ones are not made well.. and can tell the difference China versus usa made when used a lot.. like heVing a 2 pound weight in to the river for plunking every week end for the last year things break.

I do got 4 shimano's aND 4x mitches 300's again amother junk reel i replaced with the shimano's . Pflueger Trion's and a diawa. Regal and a Abu Garcia cardinal that broke less then a year of owning it..  but hay at least it gives a ton in tell is why I posted this..

fishslayer730

« Reply #7 on: Aug 23, 2016, 10:04 PM »
thanks for the info everyone.....

boondox i have killed my fair share of cheep reels on salmon also....once i ran a mitchel reel for salmon fishing n in 3 hrs cooked the bearings >:(  another horrible reel(berkley) fail was wail fighting a salmon the shaft that goes thought the middle of the reel comes out the reel with the spool of line on and turns into instant birds nest wail the salmon is on its first screaming run >:(   

deff gonna look into the penn and i'm not a fan of pflueger already made peices of a reel with couple of them....
i do like shimano's reels.... i have lots of the smaller sizes for icefishing n some more for other smaller open water fish

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Aug 24, 2016, 04:59 AM »
thanks for the info everyone.....

boondox i have killed my fair share of cheep reels on salmon also....once i ran a mitchel reel for salmon fishing n in 3 hrs cooked the bearings >:(  another horrible reel(berkley) fail was wail fighting a salmon the shaft that goes thought the middle of the reel comes out the reel with the spool of line on and turns into instant birds nest wail the salmon is on its first screaming run >:(  

deff gonna look into the penn and i'm not a fan of pflueger already made peices of a reel with couple of them....
i do like shimano's reels.... i have lots of the smaller sizes for icefishing n some more for other smaller open water fish

Drop some coin and buy a older shimano stella 5000fa.  Costs about 3-400 used but a salmon will not break that reel, EVER! I've landed stripers up to 52" on mine and countless albies.  The old stradics are nice (with the white body) but I've toasted those bearings too!

fishlessman

« Reply #9 on: Aug 24, 2016, 02:40 PM »
have not had any problems with my 20 plus year old diawa tournament ss whisker series reels. maybe not as smooth winding or have as many bearings as these newer shimanos, but its been a real workhorse for me over the years thru salt and fresh. i believe they still make them, just not sure if anything has changed with them. i also have some old penns and fin nors, those ahabs were heavey but the drag was smooooth

greenhornet73

« Reply #10 on: Aug 27, 2016, 06:07 PM »
How much are you looking to spend is the first question.  For the price you can't go wrong with Okuma's but for a little more I like the Pflueger President personally.  Very smooth anti-reverse and drag with a sturdy bail.  Landed 100's of salmon as well as a good number of steelhead and still going strong after 7 years with my model 6740 which is just as older version of the 6940.

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Aug 28, 2016, 01:23 AM »
How much are you looking to spend is the first question.  For the price you can't go wrong with Okuma's but for a little more I like the Pflueger President personally.  Very smooth anti-reverse and drag with a sturdy bail.  Landed 100's of salmon as well as a good number of steelhead and still going strong after 7 years with my model 6740 which is just as older version of the 6940.

I have 1 president going on 8 seasons of abuse and the newer one about 5.  They are decent for freshwater.

boondox

« Reply #12 on: Aug 28, 2016, 07:14 AM »
I have 1 president going on 8 seasons of abuse and the newer one about 5.  They are decent for freshwater.

Maybe he has his reasons I know my Trion is bullet proof but it reels in line slower then my other reels of same size.. what ever the reason are I am sure that's why cause he said he had  pieces of them or some thing like it laying around..

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #13 on: Aug 28, 2016, 08:14 AM »
I have  several  daiwa 1300's  from the  late 80's  best reel I  ever  owned  for  steel  and  salmon  , drag  was super  smooth  and  I  still have  a  good  supply of  parts  to  rebuild  them, from my  understanding the  new  1300 are  all  made  in  japan ,I can live  with that if a  reel is  made in  china  I personally  wouldn't  buy it  , I learned  china  may  be a  cheaper  price  but  nothing from  there is  guality  car parts  are  junk  fishing  equipment is  junk God  forbid a  tree stand  made in  china ...I suggest  you pay a  few  dollars more  and  at least get a  reel made in korea or  japan  .....  most the  penns I have  used   are  junk   I  tore up  gears in  a  matter of a  week  then  couldn't  even get  parts  for  it ....
you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

fishfetcher

« Reply #14 on: Aug 28, 2016, 09:04 AM »
i agree with trapper.  i have 1300s and 700s  from the late 80s. heavy usage and are still going strong  the 1300s are fine for salmon.  landed up to 30 lbs with no issues. drags are super smooth

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.