FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: question  (Read 4947 times)

abishop

question
« on: Aug 28, 2016, 01:40 PM »
Curious, if  you have a In. and Mi. license, and you launch in In. water and travel to Mi. water. Fish there then come back home with a limit could they fine you for having a Mi. limit? Just curious. Sure there wouldn't be a issue if you launched where you fished from, and had appropriate licenses. Wonder what you all thought THIS IS A GREY AREA?.

boondox

Re: question
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2016, 02:40 PM »
Keep and use the lesser amount like michigan has a 50 perch limit and Indiana has a 25? Then only keep 25 now if you launch in michigan keep 50 but and stay in michigan... be able to prove were you came from cause if you are stopped in Indiana then the limit is 25.. and your twice over your limit..if you got 50 fish.. if returning home and you have a daily of 25 then bag them and freeze them in days worth so you can't be in trouble when you return rember michigan is three daily limits max that day plus 2 other days worth of limits which is 150 max perch  frozen or canned etc.. were Indiana not sure of do be aware.. by the way just using 25 fish daily.. as a example because not sure of their regulations... 

dakota

« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2016, 07:46 PM »
Launch out of Indiana then Indiana laws apply. The daily bag is from where you launch, although if you launch out of Michigan and are fishing Indiana waters you have to abide by Indiana limits if you are checked in Indiana

Boomer

« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2016, 08:40 AM »
I think I read this in the INDNR fishing rules book this year. May want to get a copy and check it out - also online.

Just because you launch from Indiana, the waters that you fish in are controlled by that state. If you leave Indiana waters then Indiana law does not apply.

boondox

« Reply #4 on: Aug 29, 2016, 09:39 AM »
I think I read this in the INDNR fishing rules book this year. May want to get a copy and check it out - also online.

Just because you launch from Indiana, the waters that you fish in are controlled by that state. If you leave Indiana waters then Indiana law does not apply.

Correct but fish brought threw Indiana waters better conform to Indiana rules.. cause they can't tell if you caught them in  or out of state when there in the fish box just conform to the states port you came out of and going back to.. and those states waters while there.. michigan regs are the same statement.. I belive they all have same regs.. all states with great lakes waters..

wallin

« Reply #5 on: Aug 29, 2016, 10:01 AM »
I always understood it as, If you launch from IN and go to Mich and get your limit that its OK BUT do not stop or get caught FISHING in IN. waters once you have your MICH. Limit. I was told the same about Canada on the Detroit River. It may have changed since I have not studied up on this for awhile. Maybe a DNR question there?
Wallin

MC_angler

« Reply #6 on: Sep 01, 2016, 08:48 PM »
I always understood it as, If you launch from IN and go to Mich and get your limit that its OK BUT do not stop or get caught FISHING in IN. waters once you have your MICH. Limit

This is correct. For example, if you launched out of Michigan City, travel over the state line to perch fish, you can keep a Michigan limit of 35 perch, and come back to port in Michigan City, no problem. Just don't stop and fish in Indiana.

MC_angler

« Reply #7 on: Sep 02, 2016, 01:48 PM »
The only thing ever stopping people from poaching is their own sense of morality or getting caught, same as anywhere

You could absolutely get your IN and MI limit in the same day if you held both licenses, but I sure wouldn't have them both on me at the same time when on the water

wallin

« Reply #8 on: Sep 02, 2016, 09:44 PM »
The only thing ever stopping people from poaching is their own sense of morality or getting caught, same as anywhere

You could absolutely get your IN and MI limit in the same day if you held both licenses, but I sure wouldn't have them both on me at the same time when on the water
Correct
Wallin

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Sep 02, 2016, 09:48 PM »
"inland", i was always was told if the launch is in mi. you go by mi laws. i dont know about the great lakes.  i think, as mentioned, the states around the great lakes should keep all the same regs.  that way no grey areas.

should a society as old as ours really make laws with grey areas? lol

Ha Ha getting states all on board with the same laws would be nice. Been there in aquaculture hauling fish across state lines. Every d**n state has to be different! Don't even get me started on hauling live fish between the U.S. and Canada. You actually have to hire a broker and pay through the nose.

Still waiting for a reply from Canada on the legality of shipping frozen farm raised gamefish to Canada. Been 10 years and all I have to show for it is a color chart of Canada's fish species. I knew I was in trouble when the guy on the phone had an Indian accent (not Native American the other one) and said, "I have want you vant. I send to yew."  ;D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #10 on: Sep 02, 2016, 09:49 PM »
why not?  you did it legal, so whats the catch?  to ticket you they would have to prove you caught them unlawfully.  unless they were videoing you, that would be impossible to do. 

kinda like our 2 day poss. limit.  you can go out and get a limit before midnight and another after midnight. since a day is stated as being a "calendar day", midnight to midnight.  when you go to the ramp your legal, with your 2 day poss. limit. they cant tell or prove when you caught them, unless they were videoing you in a sting.

your rite about the poachers.  they will do it regardless of the law.

Why not just go with the most conservative bag limit or size limit for both states?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Sep 04, 2016, 02:42 PM »
not clear on your statement taxi. are you saying to just keep indiana's limit(the conservative limit) in MI waters, instead of MI limit?  is it 2 day poss. on great lakes also?  i dont fish these waters, so i dont know these regulations.  hence all the questions. lol  

if you go by the law you should be able to keep both states limits with some traveling.  there mite be laws on bringing (live on ice) fish over state line, that i dont know about, as you stated.  if so, you could be in a different violation.  cleaning or just killing them on the boat would take care of that though.

Now you have mean confused. ???  ;D I just thought if the limit was 25 in Michigan for gills, and no limit in Indiana, I'd stop at 25? Or if there is a slze limit on a speices, go with the lesser size to play it safe?

Never had to deal with two day possession limits as I clean my fish ASAP. And I stop at 25 or even less with bluegill. Don't like spending to much time cleaning fish. I skin out enough fish for a living!

boondox

« Reply #12 on: Sep 04, 2016, 02:53 PM »
Now you have mean confused. ???  ;D I just thought if the limit was 25 in Michigan for gills, and no limit in Indiana, I'd stop at 25? Or if there is a slze limit on a speices, go with the lesser size to play it safe?

Never had to deal with two day possession limits as I clean my fish ASAP. And I stop at 25 or even less with bluegill. Don't like spending to much time cleaning fish. I skin out enough fish for a living!

Taxid your a Conservation officer right?? Thought you said you were some were??

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Sep 10, 2016, 05:51 PM »
Taxid your a Conservation officer right?? Thought you said you were some were??

Nope not me! I got so far in the elimination process and decided it wasn't for me when they said I'd be patrolling the Ohio River. Yuk!

I've done a couple of creel surveys and was a biologist aid for the summer for the INDNR. Needed more education and couldn't afford it.

sprkplug

« Reply #14 on: Sep 11, 2016, 11:01 AM »
I agree with Taxi, why not just use whichever state's regs are the most restrictive? Then you're covered no matter what.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.