FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Fishing around old orchard beach Maine  (Read 8987 times)

Wnthunting

Fishing around old orchard beach Maine
« on: Aug 29, 2016, 06:39 AM »
Hello, the faimly and I are heading up to Maine on Friday. We are staying in old orchard  beach, can anybody point me in the right direction as far as fishing from shore? I'm not to fussy at all as to what I catch, just want to have some fun.  ;D

caught_the_fever

Re: Fishing around old orchard beach Maine
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2016, 12:44 PM »
Hello, the faimly and I are heading up to Maine on Friday. We are staying in old orchard  beach, can anybody point me in the right direction as far as fishing from shore? I'm not to fussy at all as to what I catch, just want to have some fun.  ;D

You'll be surrounded by plenty of productive waters.  Perhaps more important than exactly where you are is the when you are fishing.  Work the incoming and outgoing tides and you should be ok.  I understand chunk mackerel has gone over well recently however from my experience this is around the time top water also starts to be productive. 

You do have to be careful what you catch, particularly if you're having fun at "The Pier"    ;)  if you're not familiar with the area, you'll know what I mean when you get here though the crowd's starting to dwindle. 

In all seriousness, hope you enjoy your stay and good luck. 

Wnthunting

« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2016, 12:53 PM »
Thanks for the help👍.. Top water sounds great .. I can't wait to get up there and relax and try n catch some fish

If I have any luck I'll post pics

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2016, 01:43 PM »
If you prefer less pressure from a people persoective you can throw live eels at night from the beach too and do very well.  Also try to find moving water anywhere you can...the bass prefer it.  As for tides I like fishing slack to outgoing when I fish new spots, its the easiest way to find the current.  Keep in mind as well that any breaches that lead to the ocean should have juvi river herring spilling out during the drop or other young of the year baits...thus the suggestion to fish a dropping tide.

Good luck and enjoy....some 5 or 6 years ago the town tried to ban surfcasting from 8am to 5pm...I fought against it and thankfully that ordinance was never put in place.

Wnthunting

« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2016, 03:49 PM »
Thanks iowaccord66, I read about the ban of fishing your talking about ... Glad it's not in effect

I really want to get 1 keeper stripper so I can fillet it up and taste it .  Unlike most people, I really like largemouth and smallmouth , and I hear stripers taste way better 

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2016, 07:24 PM »
I'm glad too, one has to pay very close attention to these small attacks on fishermen.  I tried to find the emails related to it but could only find one where a local reporter asked me my thoughts.  Old Orchard had tried to suggest it was a safety issue.  I ensured to point out there was no credible evidence to that, got the media involved and got lucky.  There were/are some special interests involved that would love to ban fishing there.

Anyways I've eaten large and smallmouth but only during winter. Striper is still milder.  Good luck!

Wnthunting

« Reply #6 on: Sep 01, 2016, 10:42 AM »
One more question for you Maine guys...

Where's the best spot to go watch the lobster boats come in? Years ago we would buy lobsters right from the fisherman .. Not sure if you can still do that. Either way I'd like to see them bringing int their catch for that day.

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #7 on: Sep 01, 2016, 04:59 PM »
I'm only a Mainer at heart, but as I recall, the co-op was at the north end of town. 
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #8 on: Sep 01, 2016, 10:27 PM »
I used to go to Old Orchard every year with the travel trailer. Pine Point a little north of Old Orchard. You can park at the state park area and its a short walk to the rock jetty. I have caught and released many large stripers there. You can also get them walking the shore a long the inside of the marina. Another good area is the Biddiford Pool a little south of Old orchard. Check the regs. They have a slot limit up there. Good luck.
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

MikeVT

• Wishin I was Fishin!!!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 02, 2016, 02:22 PM »
Can also take Rt 9 to Camp Ellis.  Pay to park in the muni parking lot and fish all night.  The Saco River (I think that is the name) dumps in right there, and there is a large jetty to fish off of.  Better at low tide, but fish are there regardless.

Wnthunting

« Reply #10 on: Sep 02, 2016, 08:48 PM »
Thanks guys .. We head up tommorow .. Hopefully I'll be posting some pics soon 😁

Wnthunting

« Reply #11 on: Sep 06, 2016, 07:21 PM »
Got out today with my dad and grampa .. Me and grandpa both caught 1 ...
Here's a few pics

Both fish were caught on clams .. Tried to catch some mackerel for bait but couldn't catch any ... I think we're gonna try again tommorow for a keeper..and wow do them fish put up a good fight

lowaccord66

« Reply #12 on: Sep 06, 2016, 08:17 PM »
Nice work!  Any of the local baitshops should have fresh macks for sale.  You could always use those.  If you do use half of one of possible.  Don't be like some guys an expect a big striper to eat a banana chip sized chunk!  Good luck!

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #13 on: Sep 06, 2016, 09:21 PM »
Congrats on the catches. Try that inlet at Pine Point. I have caught a lot of big fish there on the incoming tide. Good luck
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

Wnthunting

« Reply #14 on: Sep 07, 2016, 07:11 AM »
I'll check on the macks when I go to get bait tommorow. I was hoping to catch my own an a sabiki rig but had no luck .. Maybe tommorow👍👍

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.