FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Rare Fish Caught in The Inland Sea? (7-6-16 Report)  (Read 2761 times)

Perchbait

Rare Fish Caught in The Inland Sea? (7-6-16 Report)
« on: Sep 07, 2016, 09:27 PM »
      My Dad and I loaded up the boat after work and headed for Sandbar. With low wind speeds and a summer sun hung high in the sky, it was a true scorcher! The highs had reached 93 degrees fahrenheit and I was skeptical of how the fish would be biting. With the boat in the water before 4:30 PM, we would have plenty of time to fish, so we decided to head to the southern reef off of Savage Island and look for the hog smallies that patrol the rocky flat. Perched atop my custom built bass deck in the front of our 14 foot starcraft, courtesy of my net/handyman, it wasn’t long before the first bronzeback was spotted following my jerkbait. I quickly grabbed my Medium Light Fenwick, pre-rigged with one of my favorite, a.k.a. Secret, plastics. While being careful not to move too quickly, for I would run the risk of being spotted, stood up, rod in hand, and stared back towards the last location of the fish spotted just two seconds ago. GONE! It’s amazing how a slow moving fish can disappear the split second you take your eyes off of them.

A couple casts later I spotted another hog, this time not daring to take my eyes of it, while grasping blindly for my other rod. Every second wasted was another 5% chance that I wouldn’t have enough time to execute an effective cast that would place my slow sinking bait right at the meandering bass’s lips. Whizzzz, SPLOOK. Fingers-crossed as I watched the target near my bait, seemingly not paying any attention to it. Just brushing his tail up against it a second before it hit the rock face. DARN!! Oh wait, he’s turning around. He’s circling back towards my bait!! The fish gently noses down on the worm and opens his mouth, engulfing it in one swift motion. I lowered my rod tip slightly and set the hook. Big Smallies are a blast on 20 pound Braid and a light rod. Although I don’t remember any details on the size of this particular fish, I remember the catch itself, bright as day.

After catching a couple more bass and watching many more monsters pass by without a trace of interest, we headed for the deeper water. My Dad’s friend who is an avid Salmon fisherman, and who happens to be taking my Dad on a week long fishing trip for Kings on Ontario right now, had just shown up and had started trolling. We buzzed over to him right after we heard his distinct voice echo across the lake “Nothing Wrong with that Pop,” as he congratulated his elderly Dad on the first blood of the day. We got the scoop on what they were hitting on and did our best to follow suit with our fairly basic salmon arsenal. I like running larger spoons as they tend to deter the pesky perch, so I put down my two lines, stacked on my DownRigger. We had been set up for no longer than twenty minutes when my rod released and I set the hook into a tank of a fish. With the only sign of life being a random head shake here and there, I had no idea what I had hooked into. My First thought/hope was that it was a 12 pound salmon that didn’t know it was hooked yet. But it never screamed 150 feet of line off of my spool in under 3 seconds so that couldn’t be it. Then I thought that I had hooked into a big old walleye, as they can show sluggish behavior. Maybe? All I knew was that my rod was doubled over and I couldn’t budge whatever was on the end of my line. Eventually the beast began to tire and I was able to pump line in. After a 3 minute fight or so, I finally caught a glimpse of the mystery fish. Black back with light spots, orangy fins with white stripes... It’s a Laker! And a good one at that! Once netted, a couple celebratory fist pumps and bumps were exchanged. My heart was pounding as I hoisted the 5-6 pound laker and put him on ice.

According to most of the people that I talk to, Lakers aren’t exactly common in the IS. While they are caught every once in awhile, I felt like I had caught a legend. We also landed two squeaker salmon that day, one for my Dad and one for me. It was a blast!!!  

perch bait on IS, if you couldn't figure that out on your own. ;)

Perchbait

Re: Rare Fish Caught in The Inland Sea? (7-6-16 Report)
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2016, 09:34 PM »
Oops!   :-[   This story was supposed to be posted on the Vermont Page, but whatever. I guess you guys may want to see it as well. Let me give you some background though. I live in Vermont and this story is about a trip that my Dad and I took to Lake Champlain, specifically a landlocked portion of it that is known as the Inland Sea and is cut off from the main lake by the Vermont Islands.

lowaccord66

« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2016, 11:38 AM »
Nice work bud.

tomturkey

« Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2016, 11:54 AM »
perchbait

Is that an old lamprey scar on the side of that laker.

Perchbait

« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2016, 12:20 PM »
perchbait

Is that an old lamprey scar on the side of that laker.

Yup, he has one fresh under his Pectoral Fin and another old one next to his pelvic fin. Unfortunately, Champlain is chock full of the darn things.

Jschumacher

• Fish often. It's a way of life. Life Member NAFC.
« Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2016, 08:23 PM »
Nice Laker and Salmon. Great smallie also perchbait. I can't wait to get back up that way.
I fish every chance I get and enjoy every time I fish. They call it fishing not catchin

Member of The GODS

legend1

« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2016, 01:46 PM »
i have read this post several times, do you mean the " inland sea " is cut off from champlain and is a separate body of water ?

fish wayniac

« Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2016, 02:57 PM »
It is not a separate body of water . The lake is split by South hero, Grand isle and North hero.I am not sure exactly what part he is talking about.Either way a nice togue.

Perchbait

« Reply #8 on: Sep 13, 2016, 03:39 PM »
i have read this post several times, do you mean the " inland sea " is cut off from champlain and is a separate body of water ?

Yeah, sorry about any confusion that this post caused you Legend1. Fish Wayniac is correct. It's not a separate body of water, but it is isolated from the main lake almost completely. There are only 3 bridges that go under route 2 that allow you to access the rest of lake Champlain from, what Vermonters call, the inland sea. Here is a picture that may help. Everything to the East (Right) of route two is considered the inland sea and we were fishing around the long island located near the bottom of the image. Hope this answers your question.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.