FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Making a better slip bobber  (Read 5102 times)

bigr

Making a better slip bobber
« on: Sep 20, 2016, 06:53 AM »
For those of us that use slip bobbers know the problems that show up after hrs of use. Here's what I do to make a problem free bobber. Take a bobber and cut the ends off being sure to leave the bottom tube portion slightly longer than the top. Take two pop rivets of the correct diameter and remove the stub keeping only the collar. Press the collars into the ends of the bobber and apply a drop of glue to the edges. At the same time apply a drop to the cork also to assure over time that it doesn't slide. The larger holes of the rivet allows the line to slide freely and won't cut grooves in either end of the plastic tube of the float. They make bobbers with inserts already in them but I have found them to be difficult to string thru both ends and they all have a much smaller diameter hole in which the line passes thru. Another trick that seems to help with finicky gils is to tie a small swivel on end of main line and then I put a foot or so of two lb clear ice line. The swivel help prevent bait spin and I'm sure gets me more bites.  

boondox

Re: Making a better slip bobber
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2016, 11:08 AM »
Thanks for the tips..

bigr

« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2016, 01:27 PM »
Let me add that I like using a braided thin main line because it won't curl over time and will float making it easier to jerk up slack. Most mono will sink causing not only slack on surface but under the water as well. With an eight or nine foot pole you can make long casts on those clear bodies of water so not to spook the fish. Also you can fish heavy cover knowing you'll only loose the lite leader if you get hung up.

den58

« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2016, 01:47 PM »
Thill makes a slip bobber with a metal sleeve with a bigger hole they're about 3 bucks each works great

staubsaugen

« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 2016, 02:35 PM »
Thil pro series.  they do work great, but i can't find them most places. maybe i should order some online if available.  meantime i may have to try bigr's suggestion.

tomturkey

« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2016, 02:40 PM »
I fish strictly slip bobbers. To make it easier to pick up the slack and set the hook I have gone to using long fly rods teamed up with ultra light reels.

The added length of the fly rod picks up the slack and longer depth below the bobber better than shorter rods especially when I am fishing deeper water.

bigr

« Reply #6 on: Sep 20, 2016, 03:03 PM »
Does the Thill pro series have an insert on both ends? Lite line quickly cuts into the plastic tube causing hang ups.

boondox

« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2016, 07:26 PM »
I fish strictly slip bobbers. To make it easier to pick up the slack and set the hook I have gone to using long fly rods teamed up with ultra light reels.

The added length of the fly rod picks up the slack and longer depth below the bobber better than shorter rods especially when I am fishing deeper water.

X2 have done the same my self... but found a ultra light shimano convergence with the michigan handle.. it's a 9 footer good for 2 to 8 pound line run four and 6 on it for crappie mainly 6...cause the four currly cues to much when fished hard.. does do a awesome job when setting the hook on a mile long cast lol's... so not to spook crappie I cast a ton to them lols.. some times use adjustabubble full of water to catch em..

Hermdog

• lets go fishing, YEA BABY YEAAA
« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2016, 04:52 AM »
Stans bobbers have a removable aluminum insert in the bottom part of the tube that makes it a breeze to feed your line thru! They come in several different sizes and 3 colors.

den58

« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2016, 08:40 AM »
No thill only has it at the top

abishop

« Reply #10 on: Sep 21, 2016, 11:41 AM »
IMHO, Stan's has a better bobber than Thill. They use a metal top that doesn't require a bead cause the opening is too big. Just started to use these this year and they are the best on the market. They sell for 2 to 3 bucks each and they shouldn't wear out. Made in U.S.A which is a determining factor 4 me. I will ALWAYS buy in USA if possible. The only trouble is there is not always that option. Look on the web and check them out. U won't be disappointed.

abishop

« Reply #11 on: Sep 21, 2016, 06:33 PM »
great tips on slips guys.  without enough weight they can be a pain for sure.  fat line can also be problematic. 

i got away from them, while doing most of my summer gill hunting.  cane poles and quills like these-http://bigbluegill.com/profiles/blogs/stuck-on-porcupine-quill are the tools of choice.  just more sensitive and faster to deploy back in action.

what are the line stoppers of choice for you guys?  i still favor the string ones myself.  buddy likes those rubber stoppers.

abishop

« Reply #12 on: Sep 21, 2016, 06:44 PM »
I have to admit I too am a string knot guy. The problem with them is the knots always come apart, or, if you tighten them up a bit to much they break my line when trying to re-adjust depth. Especially when going from 4 feet to 12-15. BIG PAIN WHEN THE LINE POPS. I HAVE ALSO USED THE FLAT TYPE THAT HAVE A SMALL HOLE IN EACH END. These will cast well and they don't seem to cause a knot in reel when reeling in. Also, they don't hang up when casting like the string also has a problem with when you are fishing deeper water and want to cast 30-50 feet away. The rubber ones I don't think I used but a couple times and don't remember how they paired cause it was a long

time ago. I positively Hate using those plastic beads as well.

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Sep 21, 2016, 08:35 PM »
It helps to lubricate the line with saliva before you try and slide the string stopper.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

sprkplug

« Reply #14 on: Sep 21, 2016, 09:14 PM »
I make my own slip floats, have pretty good luck with em'. Also modify inexpensive, easily obtainable floats.

http://bigbluegill.com/profiles/blogs/souped-up-slip-bobbers

http://bigbluegill.com/profiles/blogs/souped-up-slip-bobbers-part-2

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.